Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macnewbbie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
Hello.
I have an iphone 4 ever since oct2011 and i have lost the oleophobic coating completely, which wears off naturally and i probably didn't help by using a glass cleaning product to clean the screen ( i didn't know it would remove the coating at the time :/ ).

Now my phone is always full with fingerprints and smudges, so i have to always clean it up and it never looks good. The same for my ipad, but the iphone is worse.

I have been thinking of maybe getting a screen protector with an oleophobic coating or something that helps with that and i wanted your recommendation. What screen protectors do you recommend to screens that lost the oleophobic coating?

I have been looking at the SGP ultra oleophobic, but i don't know if its any good.

Thanks!

Radiating

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2011
Try using scotch guard spray (available at most home improvement and grocery stores with laundry isles) and then wiping off the white haze it creates as it dries quickly with a micro fiber. I've found that this "unclogs" the oleophobic coating. The coating shouldnt't rub off, it's molecularly bonded right?

Green Onions protectors are better than SGP Oleophobic ones though I've found.

macnewbbie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
I don't have scotch guard spray now (i don't know if those are sold in my country, but i think so because the name is familiar), but won't that do any damage?
Apple themselfs have said that the oleophobic coating wears off, so i guess its something we will have to struggle with and get used to it.

Im looking at the SPG on ebay and i found it from these seller - LINK and also from this one (Link) - but im not sure if they are fake or genuine.

Anyone bought from those sellers? Is there any way i can tell by the packaging or something?

I looked at negative feedback to see if anyone said they were fake but no feedback about that. I would prefer the first link of course because its cheaper, but the difference isnt that much.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
I don't have scotch guard spray now (i don't know if those are sold in my country, but i think so because the name is familiar), but won't that do any damage?
Apple themselfs have said that the oleophobic coating wears off, so i guess its something we will have to struggle with and get used to it.

Im looking at the SPG on ebay and i found it from these seller - LINK and also from this one (Link) - but im not sure if they are fake or genuine.

Anyone bought from those sellers? Is there any way i can tell by the packaging or something?

I looked at negative feedback to see if anyone said they were fake but no feedback about that. I would prefer the first link of course because its cheaper, but the difference isnt that much.

This is how you find out if they are real:
http://www.spigen.com/index.php/authorized-resellers-listing/

If they are not listed, assume fake.

macnewbbie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
Thanks for the link. I didn't know they had those sellers online.
I looked them up on amazon and ebay, but i preferred amazon because i would be using giftcards from freemyapps,but with shipping it comes down to 20$ and im not sure if its worth spending 20$ on a screen protector, even though its with gift cards and i didn't spend any money on the gift cards.

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
Thanks for the link. I didn't know they had those sellers online.
I looked them up on amazon and ebay, but i preferred amazon because i would be using giftcards from freemyapps,but with shipping it comes down to 20$ and im not sure if its worth spending 20$ on a screen protector, even though its with gift cards and i didn't spend any money on the gift cards.

No problem. And I would say it's worth it, because you get two. And these are really well cut screen protectors. 3 simple holes, 1 for camera, 1 for speaker/mic, and one for home button. The ultra oleophobic isn't as tough as the ultra crystal, but my ultra crystal has lasted about 3 months before I noticed any major scratches last week.

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
Spigen makes the best screen protectors.My favorite is the Spigen Glas.t you don't even notice you have a screen protector on which is my favorite thing about it

RichardC300

macrumors 65816
Sep 27, 2012
Spigen makes the best screen protectors.My favorite is the Spigen Glas.t you don't even notice you have a screen protector on which is my favorite thing about it

I ordered the MIME HDT-c last week, and it's in transit at the moment. It's the same price for a curved glass screen protector as the Spigen Glast.t, which doesn't have a curved edge. Plus, MIME includes a BUNCH of extras and a significantly better warranty. I can't wait for it to come in!

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
I ordered the MIME HDT-c last week, and it's in transit at the moment. It's the same price for a curved glass screen protector as the Spigen Glast.t, which doesn't have a curved edge. Plus, MIME includes a BUNCH of extras and a significantly better warranty. I can't wait for it to come in!
Wow thats awesome thanks for sharing that.im definitely grabbing one

macnewbbie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
Anyone else with more feedback on the spg ultra oleophobic? Im about to order, but the total is 20$ and i want to make sure im making the right choice because i usually just spend 3$ on screen protectors and not 20$, so i just want to make sure they are worth it

Cutterschoice

macrumors regular
Feb 7, 2012
I've always used SGP screen protecters, never had an issue with them, it all depends on how well you install them, they stick great never come lose, ive had this current 4S for about 3 months and havent replaced it or needed to.

My girlfriend has had hers for about 12months never changed the screen protector either, both SGP. I use the Ultra Crystal though.

macnewbbie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
I ended up ordering the ultra oleophobic and i just got the email saying it was shipped, it will probably take a couple of weeks to arrive.
I hope i made the right choice, i have been reading good things about spg cases and screen protectors but i just want it to repel the fingerprints more because right now my screen has 0 coating/protection, it really is just pressing glass and it leaves marks.

macnewbbie

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2006
Just to let you all know that i received the spg ultraoleophobic today and i have already applied it. I ordered from their official store on amazon and the code to see if its an authentic product checked out.
I can see now why this screen protector is more expensive ( i was used to the cheap ones for 2 or 3 $), it has a much superior quality and you can tell that because it really glues well to the iphone - too well actually, because even though i was careful it still got a bit of dust on the screen but its near the front camera so i will just pretend its a sensor lol.

I really recommend this if you are looking to get a bit of the oleophobic coating back, that seems to work great on this screen protector and i hope it lasts, and also if you want to really protect your phone from scratches or screen protectors that peel off easy.

Thanks everybody for the help!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.