Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rrandyy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
I used to use Amazon to remind me (by email) about upcoming birthdays one week ahead and on the day of the birthday. Amazon has changed their service and now there is no option to be reminded the day of.

Does anyone use a service that is reliable to do something similar? I would prefer not to have a dedicated app. Ideally, I would use calendar or email service.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
I used to use Amazon to remind me (by email) about upcoming birthdays one week ahead and on the day of the birthday. Amazon has changed their service and now there is no option to be reminded the day of.

Does anyone use a service that is reliable to do something similar? I would prefer not to have a dedicated app. Ideally, I would use calendar or email service.

Facebook sends me an email every Sunday for upcoming week of birthdays of my friends.

Or you can put birthdays in your contacts and it notify you in your notification center.

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
If you're using iCal and Contacts on a Mac, you just put the person's birthday in your Contacts. iCal has preferences like General->"Show Birthdays calandar" and Alerts->Birthdays:1 week before and "Use these default alerts only on this computer" to configure everything the way you want it. That should get the alerts to your phone I think.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I find it best not to have friends so I don't need to riddle my calendar with reminders. :D

macking104

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2003
California, USA
Not using an App...

There is this invention that at one time was popular, could be found in every house (and office), and could include cute kitty photos (or fancy cars)... it was called a calendar! They can still be purchased at office supply stores, at the mall, or for a dollar at Dollar Stores. They contain little boxes that one can write notes in-- including "Joe's Bday" in the box labeled "5" on the page labelled "February"... There was another invention called the Rolodex. You might be able to find one at the Goodwill thrift shop. It contained cards that were attached to 2 little rods... the alphabetically arranged cards could be modified to include names, addresses, dates, etc using a device such as a typewriter, pen or pencil.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.