Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

platz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2008
Just for fun, I've got a couple of old machines that I would like to occasionally use, for old times sake, so to speak. My G4 Mini has a great monitor and keyboard, but it came with OS X 10.3. Later I bought an iBook, which came with 10.4. I know that I discovered years ago that Apple prevents people from using install disks on machines that are different than the one with which the disk was shipped. Nevertheless, I was wondering if anyone has any additional wisdom with regard to this. I can, of course, just keep using 10.3.9 on my Mini (the iBook died several years ago). But, as some of you may know, Panther has some limitations, particularly with modern browser use. Thanks for anything at all. Best - Steve

P.S. I've been using Linux for many years, so I do have access to modern operating systems and software; like I said, using Macs is fun for me sometimes, I grew-up with an Apple Macintosh 128k - I wonder where that is now....

jchase2057

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2010
Detroit
Just swap the drives. Should boot right up.

----------

Plenty of limitations in 10.4 too. You should look into a copy of 10.5.

platz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2008
I'm not sure I understand swapping the drives. Besides, the iBook is very dead, like I said (meaning, the drive is shot). I used to use a 17 inch MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard (before I switched fully to Linux); but in the case of this little Mini, 10.4 would be enough.

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
Is this strictly an issue for PPCs?

You're talking largely about software that is no longer supported, and exclusive to ppcs. So the folks that generally peruse that forum will probably be better situated to provide help. Further, the mac mini hasn't really support optical media since the 2010. (see: Optical Media is dead)

The current online/partition installation gets the drivers for the machine you're using.

The OEM CD or DVD, if it is actually exclusive to the machine(I seem to recall that as well) may or may not have the drivers you need. In either case, it would probably get you a better answer to ask in the PPC forum. Your question would be exposed to a group of better situated people who may or may not check the mac mini forum.

If your ibook were still functional or you have access to an ibook somewhere, I would try something to this effect:

1) connect the mini to the ibook with a firewire cable(i think both would have this)
2) use the mini in target disk mode.
3) Select the hard drive on the mini to install the OS.

However, if it doesn't have the drivers, that could be quite problematic.

platz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2008
Thanks, this is all good information. Frankly, I'm surprised I've had this kind of response at all. Anyway, the iBook is in the garbage somewhere, we've moved and it didn't make sense to keep it. I think I will take your advice and post in the PPC forums, couldn't hurt.

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
Let me ask the stupidly obvious question: Have you tried using the iBook CD to install the OS onto the Mac mini?

Also, I second the recommendation to track down a copy of 10.5.

platz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 14, 2008
Let me ask the stupidly obvious question: Have you tried using the iBook CD to install the OS onto the Mac mini?

Yes, that's exactly what I'm trying to do! But, Apple has made install disks hardware specific, so it's not possible. The reason I started this thread is to try to find out if anyone has discovered a workaround.

warvanov

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2011
Yes, that's exactly what I'm trying to do! But, Apple has made install disks hardware specific, so it's not possible. The reason I started this thread is to try to find out if anyone has discovered a workaround.

Ok, just thought I'd ask. I know I've had luck using install discs from other machines before, but that may have been before Apple locked them down.

Your best bet is probably to find someone with a standalone copy of 10.4 or 10.5. Try to track down a copy of 10.5 if you can. (Unfortunately they still retail for $150+.)

jchase2057

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2010
Detroit
Ok, just thought I'd ask. I know I've had luck using install discs from other machines before, but that may have been before Apple locked them down.

Your best bet is probably to find someone with a standalone copy of 10.4 or 10.5. Try to track down a copy of 10.5 if you can. (Unfortunately they still retail for $150+.)

It's been machine locked since OS X came around. A retail copy of 10.5 is definitely your best bet. 150 is a tough pill to swallow though. Maybe look elsewhere...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.