Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wazgilbert

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
UK South
How can it be almost bricked you ask? Well twitchy, random touchscreen events Triggering apps, links and zooming of the screen, it may as well be epileptic and taking acid.
Now I hear Apple have stopped signing 6.0.1 in 90 mins since the 6.1 was launched. Great. 18 month old device, which won't be in warranty, made useless by no downgrade path. Any ideas?

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
How can it be almost bricked you ask? Well twitchy, random touchscreen events Triggering apps, links and zooming of the screen, it may as well be epileptic and taking acid.
Now I hear Apple have stopped signing 6.0.1 in 90 mins since the 6.1 was launched. Great. 18 month old device, which won't be in warranty, made useless by no downgrade path. Any ideas?

It's not possible to brick a device now a days

wazgilbert

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
UK South

but it is possible to reduce it's usefulness to that of a doorstop.

I did do restore after the normal update showed up problems, but it hasn't really helped. It's as if the screen went super-sensitive and triggers at shadows rather than touch events.

really bummed out by what was a great device, reduced to no use whatsoever.

:mad:

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US

Do you know what bricked even means.

Please stay on topic and realize that the term is used beyond the original formal meaning.

I did do restore after the normal update showed up problems, but it hasn't really helped. It's as if the screen went super-sensitive and triggers at shadows rather than touch events.

Did you Restore as a new device only? You should not restore an old backup to it.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
Please stay on topic and realize that the term is used beyond the original formal meaning.

Did you Restore as a new device only? You should not restore an old backup to it.

Excuse me. That was not needed at all. Dont start, thank you. We both know what we are talking about.

wazgilbert

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
UK South
Excuse me. That was not needed at all. Dont start, thank you. We both know what we are talking about.

I just love it when everyone wants to help. Thanks for the hints, I'll try a restore as new and see what happens. It can't get any worse unless it was possible to properly brick it, or blow it up.

After that I may try the Applestore to see if there's any sympathy for a software update induced death.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
I just love it when everyone wants to help. Thanks for the hints, I'll try a restore as new and see what happens. It can't get any worse unless it was possible to properly brick it, or blow it up.

After that I may try the Applestore to see if there's any sympathy for a software update induced death.

DFU is a complete reinstall of the OS. Restore as new is just an erase.

wazgilbert

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
UK South
completely failed, it's just as batty as it was before. What a waste.
400 quid device completely borked.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Sounds like that might be the way to go at this point.

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Odd, must be a problem with the hardware then. Millions of folks updated to 6.1 and as far as I can tell all is well. My wife & daughter's iPad mini (effectively an iPad 2) and friends iPad 3 work like a charm on 6.1

wazgilbert

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
UK South
Odd, must be a problem with the hardware then. Millions of folks updated to 6.1 and as far as I can tell all is well. My wife & daughter's iPad mini (effectively an iPad 2) and friends iPad 3 work like a charm on 6.1

Well if it is, which I can believe due to odd mis-typing I've had in the past, I could live with it before the update, because the symptoms didn't hardly affect my user experience.

Now it seems as if the sensitivity of the touch screen has gone way too high, and it effectively types by itself. If I leave the keyboard up and lay it down without even holding it, it will type random letters. if I hover my fingers a half inch above the screen, it will speed-type randomly in the vicinity of the finger(s).

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
It's possible something's gone wonky with the hardware. Might be worth a trip to Apple even though it's OoW just to get a second opinion.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Well if it is, which I can believe due to odd mis-typing I've had in the past, I could live with it before the update, because the symptoms didn't hardly affect my user experience.

Now it seems as if the sensitivity of the touch screen has gone way too high, and it effectively types by itself. If I leave the keyboard up and lay it down without even holding it, it will type random letters. if I hover my fingers a half inch above the screen, it will speed-type randomly in the vicinity of the finger(s).

Are you saying you were already having some issue before the update? And 6.1 just made it worse? If that's the case definitely sounds like a hardware issue

wazgilbert

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 15, 2007
UK South
Are you saying you were already having some issue before the update? And 6.1 just made it worse? If that's the case definitely sounds like a hardware issue

I had the impression that there was a dead stripe of screen, that didn't respond to touch input. after the update, it has become hyper sensitive, rather than unresponsive. of course, you can work around a dead area, you cannot work around a mental touch-happy self-typing, screen zooming maniac!

Even if the Apple verdict is 'yeah oow, wow that sucks' the fact that they slammed the door on downgrading leaves me with a device that was ok befoe, but dead now. that's not cool.

Further weirdness!

Before; [6.0.1]

e356304755f3c66a097164bb5b65b967_zps5ca22c58.jpg

Right in the typing zone for landscape. Doh. ( turn 180 ok )

After; [6.1]

deecb4efcf8ae49204d73893bc502b74_zpsbeb52df8.jpg

And I don't know why. It went scatty for two days, and while I performed various reinstalls of iOS to try and figure it out, the last, clean DFU seems to have done it. I then restored from back up and got my data back. Seems ok.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.