Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Thomas Veil

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 14, 2004
Much greener pastures
Surprised no one has started this thread yet. Even the NFL thread doesn't talk about the commercials much.

Anyway...the obvious. What were your choices for best and worst?

I saw my best at halftime. I'm not a big Oprah fan, but that Jeep commercial about waiting for our soldiers to come home was very moving. I saw that and I told my wife, "That's it, I don't need to see any more. That one wins."

Worst: I'd say it was a tie between the gross GoDaddy kissing scene and the other Chrysler commercial, the one with Paul Harvey. The sentiment -- in appreciation of the American farmer -- was great. The execution, however, was typical Harvey: corny and forced, with all the subtlety of a bowling ball falling down stairs.

For me, the funniest commercial was the one for Oreos, with those people in the library screaming very, very quietly.

[whisper] "Fire!!!" [/whisper] :p

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Best for me:
  • M&Ms
  • Oreos Library (Team Cream here)
  • Live Mas from Taco Bell
  • Doritos (both Goat and Dad)

Worst:
  • Calvin Klein (wtf?!)
  • Samsung (not funny, and overly long)
  • GoDaddy ('nuff said)

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I thought they were meh. Oprah-Chrysler ad was good. Other than that, nothing really did it for me. Go Daddy and Taco Bell ads were awful. And the farmer one was so damn forced.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Favorites:

Doritos goat
Oreo whisper fight
Audi
Clydesdale
Tide Miracle Stain
Volkswagen
M&Ms

Hated:

Doritos dads
Calvin Klein
GoDaddy
Beck's Sapphire
Samsung

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Calvin Klein, it went right into the spank bank.
It is great that nearly every straight dude is annoyed by that one ****ing commercial that was actually not geared towards them. I hope this starts a new trend for years to come.

May 8, 2008
Eh, I liked the Paul Harvey/ Ram commercial. I can't say the sentiment still holds true today but in a historical context, I liked it.

I also liked the USO/ Oprah commercial.

The Doritos goat commercial was the funniest, IMO.

I hated Calvin Klein, Go Daddy, Bud Black Crown and Becks commercials.

Rather surprised conservatives haven't been complaining about the Audi commercial- wreckless driving and all. :p

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
The Audi commercial should have ended with the girl in the passenger seat smiling.

This really was the worst year for commercials, maybe 2 or 3 good ones.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
I didn't pay attention to many of the commercials.

Best one I remember was definitely the GoPro dubstep baby. That was probably the best superbowl commercial ever.

The Subway one with Nastia Luikin was good just because she is an absolute smoke show.

The one with the girl in the bikini and the astronaut was pretty good too.

Worst one was by far that stupid "god made a farmer" one. Without going in to PRSI topics, they should just keep religion out of commercials like that in 2013.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Calvin Klein, it went right into the spank bank.
It is great that nearly every straight dude is annoyed by that one ****ing commercial that was actually not geared towards them. I hope this starts a new trend for years to come.

Sorry, but that ad was geared towards men; women can drool if they wish. However, I don't think a single guy (straight) found that ad appealing to say "Let me go buy some CK underwear".

tudyniuz

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2012
Amsterdam
Super Bowl commercials

I'm not American, so I don't know, but I always wondered, is the Super Bowl a PPE (pay-per-view) match? Just like boxing?

Sorry for the off-topic.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Sorry, but that ad was geared towards men; women can drool if they wish. However, I don't think a single guy (straight) found that ad appealing to say "Let me go buy some CK underwear".

Women (mothers, wives, girlfriends) buy more mens underwear than men do.

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I'm not American, so I don't know, but I always wondered, is the Super Bowl a PPE (pay-per-view) match? Just like boxing?

Sorry for the off-topic.

No, the Super Bowl was broadcast on CBS a network that is available to anyone with a TV and an antenna.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

Sorry for the off-topic.

Nope, it's broadcast by the 3 over the air networks that broadcast NFL games on a rotating basis.

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007

Most straight men's underwear is bought by women, not men. And most of the men's underwear that is bought by men isn't bought by straight men. In other words, the ad was targeted to reach the buyers of men's underwear. And straight men can drool if they wish.

Sorry for the off-topic.

No, it is shown over-the-air (free) broadcast, at least in Canada and the United States.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Most straight men's underwear is bought by women, not men. And most of the men's underwear that is bought by men isn't bought by straight men. In other words, the ad was targeted to reach the buyers of men's underwear. And straight men can drool if they wish.

While that may hold true for men who are married, it doesn't hold up for single professional guys and college guys.

May 8, 2008

... and I don't think a majority of the people that watch the NFL on a regular basis have the body for underwear of that caliber. :p

anonymouslurker

macrumors regular
May 16, 2012
I don't know if the Jack In The Box "Hot Mess" commercial was even national or not... but it was hysterical!

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
Worst one was by far that stupid "god made a farmer" one. Without going in to PRSI topics, they should just keep religion out of commercials like that in 2013.

Actually like it or not that ad was brilliant in marketing towards their demographic for this type of vehicle. I doubt you will find a lot of liberal city dwellers that are offended by the mention of the word "God" in a commercial lining up to buy a new RAM Cummins Turbo Diesel pickup.

Smart companies market to their demographic. Do you really think VW is going to market their new Beetle to construction workers?

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I thought the Taco Bell commercial with the senior citizens partying was pretty funny, but that might be because I have a friend who is a nursing home administrator and he was telling me about a resident he had to kick out last week for smoking marijuana.

The commercial that made me laugh out loud was was the body spray commercial with the beach rescue and the astronaut. That was really funny because it was so unexpected.

Illuminated

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2008
Denver
The Dorritos goat one was hilarious.

The most touching one (that I saw), was the Budweiser Clydesdale one. Seriously made me cry.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Wrong.
That ad was indeed geared towards women. Whether it is selling a man's product or not, it was absolutely targeted to get the attention of the women viewers. I know it is sometimes difficult to imagine, but we live in a time period now where women do things like watch football, play sports, ride motorcycles, use power tools, and all kinds of other things that men normally only did way back when. I'm sorry you can't imagine that one commercial was not geared towards you, but it wasn't. We will agree to disagree.

Another fine point.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
Wrong.
That ad was indeed geared towards women. Whether it is selling a man's product or not, it was absolutely targeted to get the attention of the women viewers. I know it is sometimes difficult to imagine, but we live in a time period now where women do things like watch football, play sports, ride motorcycles, use power tools, and all kinds of other things that men normally only did way back when. I'm sorry you can't imagine that one commercial was not geared towards you, but it wasn't. We will agree to disagree.

Another fine point.

Where in the world did that come from? I never implied or mentioned anything you said there.

However, did you happen to ignore my other point about SINGLE men before blabbering on? Yes, women watch football too.... However single women will only drool; not geared to them as they don't have a husband/Boy friend. We can argue back and forth, yet the premise will remain, it's the worst ad out there right next to GoDaddy.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Best for me:
  • M&Ms
  • Oreos Library (Team Cream here)
  • Live Mas from Taco Bell
  • Doritos (both Goat and Dad)

Worst:
  • Calvin Klein (wtf?!)
  • Samsung (not funny, and overly long)
  • GoDaddy ('nuff said)

I thought the goat was the funniest...

I also really liked the Jeep one about bringing the soldiers home.

Your list of the worst is spot on. The Samsung ad, was horrible and freaking long. Not just because it was Samsung either.

The GoDaddy, the slurping was too much lol.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.