Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moac

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2012
can someone confirm this:

I have updated to 6.1 with WIFI, has the Jailbreak worked for you, without problem?

also, is there are risk to "brick" the iphone?
:eek:
also how do you create a backup ,so i can backup my iphone just in case of error.

jbyun04

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2008
Canada

I have updated to 6.1 with WIFI, has the Jailbreak worked for you, without problem?

also how do you create a backup ,so i can backup my iphone just in case of error.

I updated to 6.1 OTA and Jailbroke. Works fine but it's useless as long as Cydia servers are down. Which they still are... for me anyway

lolkthxbai

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011

Works fine on my end, I have an iPhone 5 64gb ios 6.1

Just like its been said in the past, it shouldn't brick your iphone.
But, you should backup before attempting to jailbreak.
If it does somehow "brick" your phone, just restore it in itunes and then restore from backup.

Moac

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2012
thank you guys, one final question.

When iOS 7 comes out, how will that effect the jailbreak?
can i just simply update to iOS7 without be forced to restore the iphone from scratch?

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
Legitimately or through a grey market unlock, yes.

Hacking the baseband, no.

----------

How about configuring MMS on Straight Talk without having to resort to a crazy SIM swap method that doesn't work once the phone's reset?

Are you allowed to tell me where on these forums? Very curious...

Renzatic

Suspended
You can call it whatever you want, but there are hard working people in the world that don't violate thier contract and steal tethering. By you choosing to steal it without reservation, the implication is that the people who ARE choosing to do the right thing and abide their agreement are somehow suckers for doing so.

I wonder how many people admit to Apple they have violated their warranty when they have an issue (related or not) and they need warranty work?

I guess that's ok to steal that too?

Look, I really don't care what anyone does with their life if they don't matter to me. The world is full of hypocrites, liars, and people who steal. Whatever floats your boat...

I'm sure you've been reamed about this already, but you don't "steal" tethering. If you go around AT&T/Verizon's blocks on it, you're only gaining access to something you've already honestly paid for.

I'll try to paraphrase an example I once read about the cheapness of tethering charges.

Imagine the water company did the same thing as the telcos. You've got one line running from public reserves to your house. Whenever you turn on any of the taps in your house, you're pulling from that one reserve, and are being charged for it.

But imagine if the water company decided to divide up your bill so you've got two charges for two different usage scenarios. One for "tasting" water, and another for "utility". You decide to wash your clothes one day, and you get a call from them...

"Sir, I see you've used your water line to your washing machine. According to our data, you only have paid for access to our tasting package, which only allows you to use our water for cooking and drinking. To use our water for washing, you have to pay an extra $39 a month to gain access to the service".

"...why should I do that".

"Because if you use our water service for both tasting and washing, you're using more water than someone who only uses it for one or the other".

"...but what does it matter? You're charging me for water usage anyway".

"Using water for both utility and tasting puts more pressure on our water system, sir".

"So using 40 gallons for cooking is perfectly okay, but using 20 gallons for cooking and another 20 for tasting somehow costs you more money"?

"Yes sir"

"How? It's all coming out of the same single pipe, and you're already charging me for every gallon I draw out of it as is".

"JUST PAY US THE EXTRA $40 WE'RE ASKING ALRIGHT GAWW".

So what does that mean? You're already paying for mobile broadband. Most telcos say the reason they charge for tethering is because "you're likely to use more data", and they need to charge to cover the cost. Yeah? Aren't they already? If I use 40GB in a month on my phone, I'll get charged the same as if I used 20 on my phone, and 20 with it tethered to my iPad. So how is it costing them more? I'll still be paying for 40 gig of usage either way.

Tethering charges are nothing more than a lame, transparent attempt to price gouge and doublecharge us for absolutely no benefit to us. You're not "stealing" anything at all!

Moac

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2012
should i have iTunes open while applying the jailbreak? has it any effect if it is open or not?

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I'm sure you've been reamed about this already, but you don't "steal" tethering. If you go around AT&T/Verizon's blocks on it, you're only gaining access to something you've already honestly paid for.

I'll try to paraphrase an example I once read about the cheapness of tethering charges.

Imagine the water company did the same thing as the telcos. You've got one line running from public reserves to your house. Whenever you turn on any of the taps in your house, you're pulling from that one reserve, and are being charged for it.

But imagine if the water company decided to divide up your bill so you've got two charges for two different usage scenarios. One for "tasting" water, and another for "utility". You decide to wash your clothes one day, and you get a call from them...

"Sir, I see you've used your water line to your washing machine. According to our data, you only have paid for access to our tasting package, which only allows you to use our water for cooking and drinking. To use our water for washing, you have to pay an extra $39 a month to gain access to the service".

"...why should I do that".

"Because if you use our water service for both tasting and washing, you're using more water than someone who only uses it for one or the other".

"...but what does it matter? You're charging me for water usage anyway".

"Using water for both utility and tasting puts more pressure on our water system, sir".

"So using 40 gallons for cooking is perfectly okay, but using 20 gallons for cooking and another 20 for tasting somehow costs you more money"?

"Yes sir"

"How? It's all coming out of the same single pipe!".

"JUST PAY US THE EXTRA $40 WE'RE ASKING ALRIGHT GAWW".

So what does that mean? You're already paying for mobile broadband. Most telcos say the reason they charge for tethering is because "you're likely to use more data", and they need to charge to cover the cost. Yeah? Aren't they already? If I use 40GB in a month on my phone, I'll get charged the same as if I used 20 on my phone, and 20 with it tethered to my iPad. So how is it costing them more? I'll still be paying for 40 gig of usage either way.

Tethering charges are nothing more than a lame, transparent attempt to price gouge and doublecharge us for absolutely no benefit to us. You're not "stealing" anything at all! SO "STEAL" AWAY, FOLKS!

As I wrote before.....so why did you agree to their terms when you subscribed to their service?

Heck I agree with your reasoning to how it should be. However, that doesn't do anything as we all agreed to their terms of service as opposed to not

Last edited:

declandio

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
London, UK
This is 100% correct in my opinion. If you paid for 5gb data, what would it matter if you tethered a device to use that data?

I really can't see why some people would consider that "stealing".

Luckily we don't have this problem in my country.

Opinion & a personal 'rule of thumb' are irrelevant. I'm not trying to defend the network providers here, but if the terms of your service with them do not include tethering and you decide to circumvent that, then you're taking something that you're not paying for. I agree with you that it should be included, but we don't write the terms, we just sign up to them.

Don't get me wrong, I use the commcenter hack so that I can enable tethering for very occasional use. It's not included in my ancient unlimited 'plan' but I know that technically, I know that I shouldn't be enabling it and that if they catch me, they can force me onto a newer (and therefore less attractive) tariff (in which case, I'd probably swap networks anyway). I don't think it's 'stealing' but nor is it something that I'm entitled to.

Besides, as long as one doesn't take the piss and use it as your all day everyday internet connection, it's not a big deal.

Apologies for going off topic!

Renzatic

Suspended
As I wrote before.....so why did you agree to their terms when you subscribed to their service?

There's no rationalization to it. You're literally being double charged for something you already pay for, and at the time I signed my contract, I had no other choice but to accept the terms and conditions down to the stupidest detail. If I wanted otherwise good service with my iPhone, I had to accept a stupid extra surcharge they dreamed up one day to literally squeeze every penny out of me they could.

Tethering costs the telcos nothing. You're paying for the data regardless of what device you use it on.

I can't believe some of you would actually defend this.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
There's no rationalization to it. You're literally being double charged for something you already pay for, and at the time I signed my contract, I had no other choice but to accept the terms and conditions down to the stupidest detail. If I wanted otherwise good service with my iPhone, I had to accept a stupid extra surcharge they dreamed up one day to literally squeeze every penny out of me they could.

Tethering costs the telcos nothing. You're paying for the data regardless of what device you use it on.

I can't believe some of you would actually defend this.

But you agreed to it....

And they price their plans in accordance of most not using up their allotment. If everyone used 5gigs, then the data plans would be priced higher. Tethering by its very nature, uses more bandwidth.

If you don't like the terms, then don't use their service. They can do whatever they want unfortunately and you agreed to it. Not sure how you can defend your position.

It is said if you have the law on your side, argue the law. If you have the facts on your side, argue the facts. You don't have either unfortunately...you have opinion

I am with you though in spirit though. We just don't have a leg to stand on is all

EdisEdward

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2013
Please help!

I just installed the jailbreak but the Cydia app does not open at all! It just crashes after I press it. Is something wrong with my iphone 5? Do I need to reinstall it?

PLEASE HELP

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
f.lux is one of my favorite apps. Really makes long computing sessions easy at night.

can't wait to use it on my iPhone. pretty sure it's free on Cydia (once Cydia comes back)

----------

Thanks, I'll wait a couple hours.

Awesome - thanks for the info!

Omacc

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2012
so this jailbreak allows u to get all those paid apps off cydia?
never jailbroken iphone b4

Waughy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2012
Australia
Ahhh welcome back BiteSMS and Infinidock. That's about all I really want, I'll see what else is there, can't remember what other apps I've purchased or used in the past, it's been quite a while.

Renzatic

Suspended
But you agreed to it...

And they price their plans in accordance of most not using up their allotment. If everyone used 5gigs, then the data plans would be priced higher. Tethering by its very nature, uses more bandwidth.

If you don't like the terms, then don't use their service. They can do whatever they want unfortunately and you agreed to it. Not sure how you can defend your position.

It is said if you have the law on your side, argue the law. If you have the facts on your side, argue the facts. You don't have either unfortunately...you have opinion

...and you pay for it. That's the thing here. It's not like I'm taking advantage of the telcos by abusing a loophole or something. If I go over my monthly allotment, I'm charged X amount plus for every gig I go over.

There is no opinion about that. It's all fact. Tethering costs the telcos nothing. Why? BECAUSE THEY'RE ALREADY CHARGING YOU FOR WHAT YOU'RE TAKING! How does using 40GB on my iPhone cost them less or puts less stress on the infrastructure than using 20GB on my iPhone, and 20GB from my tethered iPad? I'm taking 40GB from them, and paying for it.

Instead, I have to pay an extra $20-30 or so to use a service that used to be built into mobile OSes until the iPhone came out and they decided to monetize the feature.

I am with you though in spirit though. We just don't have a leg to stand on is all

Eh. Call it civil disobedience.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
Ahhh welcome back BiteSMS and Infinidock. That's about all I really want, I'll see what else is there, can't remember what other apps I've purchased or used in the past, it's been quite a while.

The only app I ever installed was Signal. Kinda looking forward to checking it out.

Moac

macrumors member
Oct 21, 2012
anyone here that has a good emulator to recommend for SNES games. I want to try a few classics.. :) and GBA emulator , if they can work smoothly.

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
I just installed the jailbreak but the Cydia app does not open at all! It just crashes after I press it. Is something wrong with my iphone 5? Do I need to reinstall it?

PLEASE HELP

Try hard reset - hold down home button and power button until it resets.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
You can call it whatever you want, but there are hard working people in the world that don't violate thier contract and steal tethering. By you choosing to steal it without reservation, the implication is that the people who ARE choosing to do the right thing and abide their agreement are somehow suckers for doing so.

I wonder how many people admit to Apple they have violated their warranty when they have an issue (related or not) and they need warranty work?

I guess that's ok to steal that too?

Look, I really don't care what anyone does with their life if they don't matter to me. The world is full of hypocrites, liars, and people who steal. Whatever floats your boat...

How dare you

U act like you are perfect

Never

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.