Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

megasad

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
I've got my old 2001 iBook up and running with an SSD and have split it into five partitions, one each for:
  • Mac OS 9
  • Mac OS X 10.1
  • Mac OS X 10.2
  • Mac OS X 10.3
  • Mac OS X 10.4

I've installed iTunes 1.1.2 in 10.1, and 3.0.1 in 10.3, but can't find installers for:
  • iTunes 2.0.4 for Mac OS X (the Mac OS 9 version is easy to find)
  • iTunes 4.9

Does anyone have these installers? Or do you know any Mac magazines that would have included them on their cover CDs back in the day? Or even failing that, does anyone have a Software Restore CD from a machine from the right time that came with said installers?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I've got my old 2001 iBook up and running with an SSD and have split it into five partitions, one each for:
  • Mac OS 9
  • Mac OS X 10.1
  • Mac OS X 10.2
  • Mac OS X 10.3
  • Mac OS X 10.4

I've installed iTunes 1.1.2 in 10.1, and 3.0.1 in 10.3, but can't find installers for:
  • iTunes 2.0.4 for Mac OS X (the Mac OS 9 version is easy to find)
  • iTunes 4.9

Does anyone have these installers? Or do you know any Mac magazines that would have included them on their cover CDs back in the day? Or even failing that, does anyone have a Software Restore CD from a machine from the right time that came with said installers?
A university in Australia has these.
http://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/osx-updates/iTunes/

Note that they also have version 4.0. I mention that because 4.0 is the ONLY version of iTunes that allows library sharing over the internet. Apple killed that with the next upate and has never put it back.

Last edited:

megasad

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Amazing, thank you so much for the link! I'd given up on finding all the various security updates, that will be a huge help.

Note that they also have version 4.0. I mention that because 4.0 is the ONLY version of iTunes that allows library sharing over the internet. Apple killed that with the next upate and has never put it back.
Depending on the final size, I think I may just archive all these installers, just in case I want to do something unexpected later :)

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
No problem. I wouldn't worry too much about this going anywhere. It's a public site for this university.

They have much more there too. If you click on the parent folder link (top left) you can back up a few folders and see what else they have. Quite a bunch of stuff. I assume it's to make it all easy for their students and over time it turned in to a big archive.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
No problem. I wouldn't worry too much about this going anywhere. It's a public site for this university.

They have much more there too. If you click on the parent folder link (top left) you can back up a few folders and see what else they have. Quite a bunch of stuff. I assume it's to make it all easy for their students and over time it turned in to a big archive.

Yes, that link is amazing. I even downloaded firefox 3.6.26( the last release for PPC as far as I know). How did you find out about that site?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yes, that link is amazing. I even downloaded firefox 3.6.26( the last release for PPC as far as I know). How did you find out about that site?
A few years ago I was searching specifically for iTune 4.0 for the reasons I mentioned earlier. 4.01 was the first point update and it removed the internet streaming functionality, so there is only one version of iTunes that can do this.

At the time I wasn't using my library on my iPod or using an iPhone. I don't like the hassle of setting up iTunes servers and all the workarounds to get it to work over the internet. 4.0 is so much easier.

In my job I do A LOT of searching for stuff on Google so there are ways to find stuff. I don't recall the exact search terms, but it was probably something like iTunes+4.0+mac index

That type of search (where you add the word index) tends to find sites that have links to apps stored on non-commercial servers, such as this page (site).

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Google tracks that? If so, where would I find that? I don't save my searches.

But if I had to guess it'd be quite a lot. My first email account came in 1999 and that's about the time I really started using the internet. Once I got employed it took off. Searching for useable art, logos, apps, etc. Not including my own personal searches. No idea really, but it's got to be in the hundreds of thousands I'd think.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
Oh, ok, got it. 1229 according to Google. But then, as I said, I usually have this turned off. I'm usually bouncing between browsers though so I guess one of them had it turned on.

I think this only works if you havea Google account or, more accurately, if you're signed in to your Google account while searching.

I got my Gmail account in 2009. I've got 10,172 searches. But then, much of my work is in research.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I think this only works if you havea Google account or, more accurately, if you're signed in to your Google account while searching.

I got my Gmail account in 2009. I've got 10,172 searches. But then, much of my work is in research.
Yeah, I had four Google accounts at one point. Even when logged in to my main one I usually turn the history search off. But on some of my browsers I'm only using them for a short time so sometimes I forget to do that if that particular browser hasn't set a cookie yet. I didn't realize though that it kept track like that.

skateny

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2012
New York, NY
I didn't realize though that it kept track like that.

Yes. It's a running documentary on what you were interested in at different times in your past.

I like a lot of older films, many of them from Europe and Russia, so there are whole blocks of searches dedicated to this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.