Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hobx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
So I got my iPhone 5 a couple of days after getting it. It's generally alright but there is one minor ding. I'm thinking of asking apple to repair it. Any ideas what they would charge to so this in the uk?

siurpeeman

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2006
the OC
i don't know how much it would be in the uk, but here in the states an out of warranty replacement would be $229. i also don't think they'd replace/fix the phone minor dings or other cosmetic damage.

hobx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
Black model. The out of warranty service is 120 pounds, I didn't know if I would have to pay the full hog. *sigh*

----------

i also don't think they'd replace/fix the phone minor dings or other cosmetic damage.

Surely if I was paying and accepted liability?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
If your charisma modifier is high you could convince them to replace it for free "because the home button is not working." ;)

hobx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
Hmm cheers guys. I will have a think about. I've calmed down a little now. I might just live with it.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
If its a little ding, if you can put up with it, just keep it the way it is. You could possibly get a case to cover the ding on it. My understanding when I spoke to Apple a replacement exchange will be £170.

You could look at it this way, that now you have got your first ding on your phone you wouldn't care if it happened again. Just use the phone the way its meant to be used.

Last edited by a moderator:

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
If you have no moral values, you could make a genious appointment and tell them the antenna is really bad. You will get a new one immediately.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
I dropped a 4S a few months after buying it. It put a small chip in the plastic surrounding the glass on the front of the phone. I kept either a bumper or another case on it after so it never bothered me. I sold it a few weeks ago and got a new 4S.

I had also dropped my first release day 4S when I got it and the same exact thing happened, the plastic around the corner on the front surrounding the glass chipped off. Neither time did the glass break. I sold that one about a month after buying it and got the 4S on Verizon that I sold a few weeks ago.

If nothing else, you can sell it and get another one. People don't mind paying for slightly damaged phones.

hobx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
Thanks everyone. I'm not really up for lieing. I actually find that being honest tends to get much better results. I will just live with it I reckon and maybe sell when the 5s comes out.

R1PPER

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
Embrace the war scars...or die crying.

Seriously get a nice matt black slim bumper. You can drop you phone and it still looks good.

hobx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
Embrace the war scars...or die crying.

I made this decision a few years ago with the four, decided not to get a screen protector as I hate the rubber feel. My macbook, ipad and old four all show the results of this philosophy, but it still really hurt with the 5. Its just so damn good looking!

Seriously get a nice matt black slim bumper. You can drop you phone and it still looks good.

Got a Spigen SGP Slim on its way. That was what made it worse in a way, the case is in the mail!

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Phones are going to get scratched and dinged. To me it isn't a big deal, it is a phone not a work of art.

cruzmisl

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
What happens if you get it replaced and drop it next week?

The first drop is always the hardest. After that you can just start using it as a phone instead of reveling at it as a pristine piece of jewelry.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
The excuse with the home button always works.

If you have no moral values, you could make a genious appointment and tell them the antenna is really bad. You will get a new one immediately.

tell em it was like that out of the box, wouldn't be surprising...

I REALLY wish I could come to your houses...Oh, the broken glasses in the kitchen? They were like that when I got here! Pee in the sink? Poor bathroom decisions that were made before I got here. Oh, everything of value has been lifted? Your fault, your responsibility. Must be nice to be able to divorce yourself of any personal responsibility while passing on the cost of your negligence and dishonesty to the rest of us.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
One minor ding? What are you going to do when you get another minor ding in the next one? Live with it and/or get a bumper case.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Got a Spigen SGP Slim on its way. That was what made it worse in a way, the case is in the mail!
Ordered my 10yo daughter an iPad Mini around the beginning of the year. Apple said 2 weeks for delivery, just at the end of the holiday rush, basically. Ordered a very protective case, due to arrive about the same day. iPad showed up a week early, case did not. She slightly cracked the naked screen on day 3. *sigh*

Now, she won't keep the case on. Double *sigh*.

hobx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 6, 2010
Ordered my 10yo daughter an iPad Mini around the beginning of the year. Apple said 2 weeks for delivery, just at the end of the holiday rush, basically. Ordered a very protective case, due to arrive about the same day. iPad showed up a week early, case did not. She slightly cracked the naked screen on day 3. *sigh*

Now, she won't keep the case on. Double *sigh*.

My sympathies :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.