Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

millerj123

macrumors 68030
Mar 6, 2008
Last night's Big Bang Theory had me rolling. "If you're going to compare wands and hammers, I can't take you seriously".

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I know there is a thread dedicated to it (NFL football), but I'll mention Texans vs Patriots playoff game this afternoon! I'm curious to see if the Texans can hold up... :)

Nov 28, 2010
located
Just finished 70+ episodes, 4 season of Battlestar Gallactica. Cool ending. Worth watching. In some ways more epic and cerebral than StarTrek Next Generation, my favorite scifi serial.

How many Cylons in this picture? :p If you answer, please shield or mark as spoiler for anyone who has not seen the series yet.
Battlestar-Galactica-Main-1.jpg

Recently did a rewatch of the last season, watched season 1 to 3 twice/thrice already, but season 4 was a bit depressive to watch again so soon, but it is a frelling fantastic season (yes, it is one season for me) and series finale, with its flaws, but all in all, it was satisfying.

As for the question, half of them.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I know there is a thread dedicated to it (NFL football), but I'll mention Texans vs Patriots playoff game this afternoon! I'm curious to see if the Texans can hold up... :)

Anything to keep one of your threads alive. ;)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Recently did a rewatch of the last season, watched season 1 to 3 twice/thrice already, but season 4 was a bit depressive to watch again so soon, but it is a frelling fantastic season (yes, it is one season for me) and series finale, with its flaws, but all in all, it was satisfying.

Yeah, it's a stupid question for anyone who has watched the series, and anyone who has not would have no clue. :cool:

Anything to keep one of your threads alive. ;)

Huh, wha, who? I just post when I feel like it, if I have something to say. :p

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Just watched the Caprica pilot on Netflix. It is the Battlestar Galactica Prequel broadcast after BG. Interesting concept. I'll keep going! Only 17 episodes to go. Was it a hit, did it peter out, or was it only intended to be 2 seasons? At Rotten Tomatoes, only 50% of the reporting audience liked it. Please shield any spoilers! Thanks.

caprica_tv_series-wide.jpg

Last edited:

pagansoul

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2006
Earth

yep. :eek:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Spoilers!

MV5BMjAxMjM4NDQyMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjEyNDYzMg@@._V1._SY317_CR8,0,214,317_.jpg

What is interesting is when it first came out, I watched the first few episodes and somehow got it in my head, that Zoe was the real spirit of Zoe held in the robot. I did not quite get that, then lost interest.

But this time around I understand that Zoe is an avatar of Zoe created by Zoe, using a lot of info and she was supposed to be such a programming genius, that the avatar even feels like she is Zoe, but knows she is not. I'm interested to see where this takes the story! :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Shocker on Downton Abbey last night.

Spoiler>
My wife suffered from Toxemia which is also known as pre-Eclamsia and our son was delivered by C Section 1 month early. In my wife's case, my wife put on little weight early in her pregnancy, then rapidly later. Although they don't know the reasons, my understanding is the "toxemia" part takes place when the kidneys start to shut down and body becomes toxic due to the kidneys no longer doing their job. The only cure is deliver the baby. After delivery, it took my wife 10 days in intensive care to recover. At that point we decided one baby was enough.

Of course I sided with the family doctor and suspected where the story was heading. :(
<End Spoiler.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Shocker on Downton Abbey last night.

Spoiler>
My wife suffered from Toxemia which is also known as pre-Eclamsia and our son was delivered by C Section 1 month early. In my wife's case, my wife put on little weight early in her pregnancy, then rapidly later. Although they don't know the reasons, my understanding is the "toxemia" part takes place when the kidneys start to shut down and body becomes toxic due to the kidneys no longer doing their job. The only cure is deliver the baby. After delivery, it took my wife 10 days in intensive care to recover. At that point we decided one baby was enough.

Of course I sided with the family doctor and suspected where the story was heading. :(
<End Spoiler.

Ah yes, I remember that episode of 'Downton Abbey'. It was shocking, but extremely well acted, and the last ten minutes were excellent. Indeed, for most of the episode, it didn't seem that much was happening (any episode of Downton which seems to indulge in time-wasting should act as a red flag serving to signal danger up ahead).

Wow. That must have been absolutely terrifying, for you and your wife, both. Hope you are all well, healthy and happy nowadays.

For my part, earlier this evening, I watched the third episode of a wonderful BBC2 documentary on the Earth's annual orbit, called, simply and deceptively, 'Orbit'. It was superb, managing to make complicated mathematical and scientific material accessible and exceedingly interesting.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Ah yes, I remember that episode of 'Downton Abbey'. It was shocking, but extremely well acted, and the last ten minutes were excellent. Indeed, for most of the episode, it didn't seem that much was happening (any episode of Downton which seems to indulge in time-wasting should act as a red flag serving to signal danger up ahead).

Wow. That must have been absolutely terrifying, for you and your wife, both. Hope you are all well, healthy and happy nowadays.

For my part, earlier this evening, I watched the third episode of a wonderful BBC2 documentary on the Earth's annual orbit, called, simply and deceptively, 'Orbit'. It was superb, managing to make complicated mathematical and scientific material accessible and exceedingly interesting.

Yes everything is fine. Thanks for the thought! Although our son was born 1 month premature, and spent some time in an incubator, he was completely healthy. He's 25 now. :)

We missed Downton last night due to the Superbowl. Will catch it tonight on DVR. After the game we tried out Elementary a show with a modern, U.S. based Sherlock, (who is English), but I only got into it about 10 minutes and gave up. I found Lucy Lui as Watson to be annoying and did not care for the overall atmosphere of the show.

In your documentary, what kind of things do they comment on regarding the Earth's orbit?

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Yes everything is fine. Thanks for the thought! Although our son was born 1 month premature, and spent some time in an incubator, he was completely healthy. He's 25 now. :)

We missed Downton last night due to the Superbowl. Will catch it tonight on DVR. After the game we tried out Elementary a show with a modern, U.S. based Sherlock, (who is English), but I only got into it about 10 minutes and gave up. I found Lucy Lui as Watson to be annoying and did not care for the overall atmosphere of the show.

In your documentary, what kind of things do they comment on regarding the Earth's orbit?

I missed the first episode completely, caught a good bit of the second, and watched the third. The documentary takes as its subject the earth's orbit for a full year, starting at the summer solstice. I caught the section which started in January and followed it until it completed the cycle, in June.

In essence, it discussed what happens in the course of the year; seasonal variation is caused by the tilt in the earth's axis, and even that is not a constant (which I hadn't realised but varies within two points). Without that tilt, there would be no seasonal variation.

A fascinating piece last week discussed ice ages, and argued that three 'cycles' have to coincide to trigger one, in a time frame of over 30,000 years; the first is when & where perihelion (when the earth is at the furthest point on its orbit from the sun) takes place.

Perihelion must occur in January (which it does at present - it hasn't always done so) to trigger the necessary conditions for an Ice Age in the northern hemisphere, but two other variants also must occur.

These are the angle of the tilt of the earth's axis as it varies between 22 degrees and 24.5 degrees. (There was a fascinating section on the impact of these variations on the earth's climate in some surprising places, historically, such as the Egyptian desert, which wasn't always thus.) Apparently, the shallower (more upright) tilt was more likely to give rise to the necessary conditions for triggering such, as summers would become cooler over time. We are currently tilted at around 23 degrees.

The third condition was the extent - or shape - of the ellipse of the earth's orbit itself. While it is always elliptical, the exact shape of that ellipse changes over time, becoming more or less elliptical. At present, we seem to be 'mid way' in the latter two cycles, hence little danger of an incipient Ice Age.

Other matters - water, land and air temperature and pressure - were also discussed, and time lags (how the impact of the changes lag behind the calendar time - i.e. the annual coldest day is usually in January, not December, etc.) and measuring time. I love programmes such as this.

Tonight, I watched a fascinating Channel 4 documentary called 'The King In The Car-Park' about the discovery, identification and disinterring of the remains of Richard III (Richard Plantagenet, the last 'Yorkist' who had been killed at the battle of Bosworth in 1485 by Henry Tudor, who subsequently took the name Henry VII as King), in Leicester last autumn. The final, definitive confirmation of the identity of his remains only occurred this week-end past with DNA confirmation. Another riveting programme and an absolutely fascinating story.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I missed the first episode completely, caught a good bit of the second, and watched the third. The documentary takes as its subject the earth's orbit for a full year, starting at the summer solstice. I caught the section which started in January and followed it until it completed the cycle, in June.

Sounds interesting. :)

Spoilers!

Finished up Episode 19, the Caprica Season One Finale. It was a bit of a disappointment. I liked the characters, the Mafia, the STO. And it did explain the origins of cylons, but i did not buy certain story elements and the finale was eh. As I recall in BSG, skin jobs were a mystery, not created on Caprica or if they were, it was unknown to the general populace. And there was a long period of time after the war when skin jobs appeared. At least that is my impressionIn this series, the mono-thiests had a radical terrorist group. At the end, they ran a trailer about what to expect in Season 2, except there never was one. SF Channel cancelled it. First time I spelled Cylon, my spell checker changed it to colon. ;)

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Watching Lost Girl on netflix. It seems to have potential... She's a succubus. Origin of term seems to be religious in nature, but don't let that bother you. In this show she's Fae.

I'm not committed. Any fans?

2f94c47da25f8821d6b3ccb168cc263c.jpg

spoon man

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2007
Just finished watching the last episode of Ripper Street amazing series have to wait till next year for the new series or so I've herd.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Finished the end of Downtown Abbey Season 3. Shocking ending but I read Entertainment Weekly and was not surprised. ;)

spoiler>These actors who think they want to run off and be movie stars... I'm speaking of Dan Stevens. Wouldn't it be better if instead they dip their toes in the water before quitting a current gig, especially a highly successful one??<end spoiler.

Here are some transformations. I would have never recognized them:
downton-abbey-season-3-cast-photo-first-look-11.jpg

Joann Froggatt (Anna)

url-2.jpeg

Sioban Finneran (O'brien)

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Finished the end of Downtown Abbey Season 3. Shocking ending but I read Entertainment Weekly and was not surprised. ;)

spoiler>These actors who think they want to run off and be movie stars... I'm speaking of Dan Stevens. Wouldn't it be better if instead they dip their toes in the water before quitting a current gig, especially a highly successful one??<end spoiler.

Here are some transformations. I would have never recognized them:
downton-abbey-season-3-cast-photo-first-look-11.jpg

Joann Froggatt (Anna)

Sioban Finneran (O'brien)

Yes, indeed. My understanding was that Julian Fellowes would have been more than happy to find a way of including the character played by Dan Stevens in a few of the episodes, or, at the least, the very first episode of Series/Season Four, if only to avoid what had to happen otherwise at the end of the Season Three 'Christmas Special', but the actor refused to do so, and declined to sign up even for the first episode of the Fourth Season.

After that particular episode was broadcast, Julian Fellowes gave a very interesting interview where he explained that any other outcome (i.e. emigration, desertion of Lady Mary, or a job which would take the character away to say, the US) would simply not be credible given the plot and narrative arcs which had occurred over the previous three seasons. Hence the character had to be written out completely.

My own personal view is that the demise of Lady Sybil was done much more naturally in terms of plot development, in what was a genuinely harrowing episode, and, moreover, the actress had given ample notice of her intentions. As it happens, I agree with you - completely - re Dan Stevens.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Gave up on Lost Girl... lots of sexual encounters was good, but a bit shallow for me, not very intriguing.

Walking Dead is holding my interest. The Governor is bad, not as bad as he was portrayed in the comic, but I guess they did not want to go there...

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Recently blazed through the first two seasons of Breaking Bad, on the third one now. Amazing show.

I'm also slowly but surely making my way through season four of Dexter, a show I love, although this season is disappointing me a bit thus far. Too much emotions and not enough killing people.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.