Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

andrewshah10

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
Ok so my macbook got stolen a few days ago and i just remember about icloud. I signed into icloud on my other laptop and the first thing i did was click erase macbook. Now im starting to think that was a bad idea because i heard u cant track it once u do that, but i also heard if its an acutal macbook then u should still be able to find it.Thanks

This is what is says on icloud help page and I was a little confused by this because it says you may still be able to use find my iphone to lcate your mac after you erase. I guess my question is that why is it that it "may"

Important: Before you erase all the information on your device, try to locate it or play a sound on it. After you erase the information on an iOS device, you won’t be able to use Find My iPhone to locate it or play a sound. You may still be able to use Find My iPhone to locate your Mac after you erase it.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
Did you see where it was located first before erasing it? If my laptop was stollen... I would be curious.

However... I would erase it in any case. The security of my data is MUCH more important than the physical laptop. I'd wipe it, let them keep the machine... and determine if it was worth an insurance claim or not.

/Jim

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.