Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

willcapellaro

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2011
iOS_nightmode.jpg

I am curious what people think of the feasibility of this for mac and iOS screen inverting behavior.

I believe this could be very easily pulled off by low level code. I would love it it it was 1st party supported by apple.

I did this in photoshop very quickly, by adding a layer above the existing screenshot, inverting it and turning the mode to luminosity. As I understand it, it should change the value (light/dark) information but not do anything to hue/color. People look to hue information to understand what objects are and we don't have a great abilities with which to anticipate inverted RGB hues. So with this, an inverted pumpkin image would still be orange-ish. Pinterest logo would be red. The value might be slightly different, but it wouldn't be radically different in terms of hue.

What do people think about this? Would this break anything about the normal invert behavior? I tend to invert a lot and this would be great for me, but I would be okay with it being an option only.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.