Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which ipad, ignoring price

• Ipad with retina display

Votes: 84 60.4%
  • Ipad mini

Votes: 55 39.6%

• Total voters

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
A lot of people are saying they want a lighter ipad but what weight would you be satisfied with?

For me, it's not about the weight, it's about the size of the device. The mini fits in my jacket pocket perfectly. If it was half a pound more, I probably still wouldn't have cared.

briand05

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2005
I would get the full size ipad if they were the same price and had the specs they do now. The full size ipad has a much better screen and a more powerful processor. Now if the mini had a retina display and an a6, I would think about it more.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
Hard question. If the mini had the same internal spec, and had a retina display, I would happily pay the same price as the normal sized iPad. I'd possibly even be prepared to pay slightly more. As I prefer the form factor. But as it is it would bother me because the internals, and the display are not the same standard.

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
I wonder how many of the people who complain about the retina screen on the mini have actually used a mini. I think the screen is great, the only thing I don't like about the mini in the lack of a flash for the camera and the A5 processor.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
But would you pay $500 for the current Mini?

Good question - there is a limit as to how far I would go of course to pay for a mini, but for me, I would pay more for a mini than a full sized iPad, because for me, form factor reigns supreme, and retina (though highly desired in a mini form factor) isn't anything but a very, very nice to have feature in a nearly perfect device. Yes, I would pay $500.

RieRie

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2012
I've had both and prefer the form factor of the iPad mini since it fits in all of my handbags! :)

foiden

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2008
Sure you can. It's easy.

Agreed. If only because the smaller size of the Mini, brings the previous resolution closer to the retina you enjoyed on the bigger screen.

The main case where Retina wins convincingly is with specific uses. Music sheet reading (Since the demands to display a whole page of sheet music at once is higher than text demands) and very high resolution photography. For light gamers running iPhone apps, they may lose the ability to display Phone apps in their retina resolutions where I know the Retina iPads run the iPhone apps with Retina resolutions. Makes all the difference in visuals when blown up to 2X as they look almost iPad native then. Or at least, non-retina iPad native.

Last edited:

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Agreed. If only because the smaller size of the Mini, brings the previous resolution closer to the retina you enjoyed on the bigger screen.

The main case where Retina wins convincingly is with specific uses. Music sheet reading (Since the demands to display a whole page of sheet music at once is higher than text demands) and very high resolution photography. For light gamers running iPhone apps, they may lose the ability to display Phone apps in their retina resolutions where I know the Retina iPads run the iPhone apps with Retina resolutions. Makes all the difference in visuals when blown up to 2X as they look almost iPad native then. Or at least, non-retina iPad native.

Yupp, I use mine for notetaking and school related stuff. It's mainly all text but I use the text for glancing not heavy reading. That will hurt my eyes. I barely notice pixelation and that's good for me. The size is a great plus too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.