Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HMI

Contributor
Original poster
May 23, 2012
Hi, I'm asking for quick help.

My parents each have their own iPad with the same iCloud account.
I wanted to give them separate iCloud accounts, but don't want to delete important data off of both iPads in order to change the account on only one of them.

To my knowledge, the only way to change an Apple ID associated with iCloud on a device is to "Delete Account" before entering new information, but my guess is that this would also delete the information stored in iCloud, which may also delete the info on the other iPad (which I don't want to change).

Would someone quickly confirm the best approach to do this, so that I don't affect the second iPad?

Please let me know quickly. Thanks.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
"Delete account" means just delete account from the iPad you are on, it doesn't delete the iCloud account, and it won't affect the other iPad. In fact, now that I think about it, I don't know that there is a way to ever delete an iCloud account.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Deleting an account from one iPad doesn't delete the account's information stored online. That would entirely defeat the entire purpose. You can remove an account from one device without affecting all your devices, otherwise the service would never have even gotten out of the starting gate (that'd be a pretty glaring flaw in a cloud service). Just delete the account from the one iPad and make a new one on there.

jW

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Also keep in mind that when you click to delete the account, you are asked if you want to keep the data on the device (stored locally only) or remove it completely.

If you decide to keep it locally, the data will remain on the device and will be merged into the new iCloud account when you add one. So if you want to start completely fresh with the new iCloud account, choose not to keep the data on the device after deleting the old iCloud account from the device.

Kimmy365

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2013
Well, I just deleted mine and nothing happened to my things,because after you put that your sure, it well ask you if you want to keep your thing and so I put yes.:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.