Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heycompman

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
Sarasota FL
Thank you all for such a helpful amount of information and guidance. Thanks to you, I've been able to install Snow Leopard into P-8, under Mountain Lion.

My goal is to run AppleWorks from the Mountain Lion environment. Tried Pages, its ok, but just like and am used to AppleWorks.

Previously had SL on bootcamp, but don't like the rebooting. So your solution seems ideal with one remaining unfulfilled desire that I'm clueless about: just like the many times I've installed parallels with Windows guest, I can change how it operates so that I can run a Windows ap from my Mac dock.

So far I'm only able to open a big SL window on my ML desktop. Want no SL window, just the Parallels Ap on my ML dock (which I have) and the AppleWorks Ap on my ML dock.

Please forgive me if you've covered this earlier, I just missed it.

Thank you all again,

David Johnston

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
David:

Glad to hear that all went well with your installation of Snow Leopard into Parallels 8 in Mountain Lion. I personally am still with Lion, as I have not seen any need to upgrade for my purposes at this time.

I am also at Parallels 7, since no one has offered me a complimentary upgrade to version 8 for all of my efforts - :p

Virtualization of Windows is the big cash cow for Parallels, and hence that is where the research and development money is spent by them; not on Mac OS X virtualization. So, consequently, some of the Windows features are not implemented in Mac OS X virtualization.

One of these missing features is Coherence: which allows both the real desktop and the virtualized one to share the same desktop. Also Applications Icons in Dock does not seem to be implemented either.

I just have the Parallels icon in my Dock and click on it when needed. Once Snow Leopard has booted, I then use its Dock to launch the needed application. I few more clicks, but it works!

If you find any shortcuts, be sure to come back and share them with us all!

Heycompman

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
Sarasota FL
More Info re Coherence in ML/SL

Additional info -- Am on Parallels V8.018; 27 In iMac late 2009 3.06 Ghz IC2Duo, 4gb, OSX 10.8.2 (12C60).

I've already attempted turning coherence on and off, but Configuration says: "Coherance mode for this operating system has no configurable options."

Were this to all work out, it would be good if:

All of my existing appleworks data files (ones I've been making over the years) should be in the Mountain Lion environment, with none in the Snow Leopard environment, for purposes of Time Machine doing its work while excluding the parallels files.​

I were able to (in Mountain Lion) double click an AppleWorks file in my Documents folder, and have the Appleworks program initiate, assuming that a) Parallels is already running but not necessarily b) that Snow Leopard nor c) its Appleworks program is running.​

Thanks again

David

Heycompman

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
Sarasota FL
re Coherence in ML/SL

Ok, this is where I get to practice acceptance... :p)

Thinking positively, if the Parallels company says that it does support as an installable guest a genuine Snow Leopard server, and other OSX versions, should I imagine that A) it does offer coherence for those versions, but not this?, or B) Parallels folks are not investing at all in their small Apple-guest business? I did pay genuine greenbacks for their product even though I'm not a conventional user re (gag) Windows.

Thanks,

David

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Maybe I am conservative in my approach, but I am so glad that Parallels works with Snow Leopard, that I am able to forgive them for a few sins of omission. That is easy for me to say, however, as I have been a Parallels owner for years since I upgraded to Intel and wanted to use Windows XP concurrently with Mac OS X (instead of just exclusively in Bootcamp).

Since it appears you purchased Parallels exclusively to run Snow Leopard, your approach may differ. Of course, you are already aware that Parallels only "supports" Snow Leopard Server, not the client version.

When I ask questions on the Parallels Support Forum, I generally phrase them in the context of Snow Leopard Server for that reason.

Version 8 added a big plus over version 7; the ability to cut & paste from one environment to the other; so maybe they are working on this issue and if you want to post over on the Parallels forum about Coherence and Apps in Dock updates, please do so. Let us know if they respond.

YES: I always advise keeping data files in your real environment and access them from the virtual environment. You can do this through the Shared Folder in virtual Snow Leopard ("vSL") or use Apple File Sharing, once you know the IP assigned to vSL.

So keep your Appleworks data files in Mountain Lion and access them from Appleworks in vSL.

At this time I know of no "easy" double-click solution on the data file in Mt. Lion to then start Parallels and then Appleworks...

eldes.com

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2013
Sao Carlos-SP, Brazil
Worked for me too (Parallels 8 under Mountain Lion), but I did a little different.

1. First I created a shadow file of the original CDR:

hdiutil attach SnowLeopard-Original.cdr -shadow

2. Then I mounted this CDR and did touch the ServerVersion.plist:

touch '/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist'

3. Finally converted the image to DVD/CD-R master for export, incorporating changes into the shadow:

hdiutil convert -format UDTO -o SnowLeopard-Server.cdr SnowLeopard-Original.cdr -shadow

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Thank you for this alternative method for Mountain Lion!

What PowerPC apps do you run in vSL?

gilby101

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Worked for me too (Parallels 8 under Mountain Lion), but I did a little different.

1. First I created a shadow file of the original CDR:.......

Aesthetically, I find this neater than my spare image method. I shall use a shadow file if/when I need to create a new SL virtual machine.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Great; thank you! And I will update the link!

PS: Do you know how to embed images here on MacRumors? I only know how to attach them at the end of the post, but I see others embedding them in the midst of their instructions.

Any other advice on "style" would be greatly appreciated; especially if you think it will help the flow of information. That being said, the feedback seems to be positive from those following my instructions.

Someday, if anybody is kind enough to "donate" an upgrade to Parallels 8 and/or Mountain Lion (on a separate hard drive - can I boot Mt. Lion from a flash drive?) to me, I will update these instructions on a permanent basis!

gilby101

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
Mountain Lion

There is a problem with the original instructions from MichaelLAX for those using Mountain Lion as the host system. This is because Mountain Lion mounts disk image files as read-only. As a result STEP ONE does not work - everything else is ok.

Follow MichaelLAX’s instructions in STEP ONE points 1 to 3. Then continue with:

4. Launch Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/); cut and paste or carefully type the following 4 commands into Terminal and, after each, hit Return/Enter:

5. Change to the directory where the image is located.

cd Desktop

6. Mount the disk image in a way that allows any changes to be kept in a ‘shadow’ file.

hdiutil attach SuperDrive.cdr -shadow

7. Add the important file to the mounted image with this (including the quotation marks):

touch '/Volumes/Mac OS X Install DVD/System/Library/CoreServices/ServerVersion.plist'

8. Unmount the disk image by ‘ejecting’ the ‘Mac OS X Install DVD’ in Finder. At this point you have two files - SuperDrive.cdr and SuperDrive.cdr.shadow on the Desktop.

9. Create a new DVD/CD master disk image ’SuperDrive-Server.cdr’ which is the same as SuperDrive.cdr, but with the change included.

hdiutil convert -format UDTO -o SuperDrive-Server.cdr SuperDrive.cdr -shadow

10. Quit Terminal and continue with STEP TWO, using SuperDrive-Server.cdr in place of SuperDrive.cdr. If you wish you can now delete SuperDrive.cdr and SuperDrive.cdr.shadow - they are no longer needed.

Credits: The use of the shadow file is from post #407 by eldes.com. I had previously (post #322) used a sparse image - either works but I like the shadow file technique better though I don’t think it is any quicker.

Last edited:

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Nice work!

Can you edit your post so that the TOUCH substep 7 does not wrap unto the 2nd line (perhaps a smaller font?); thank you!

karendesign

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
Picking up where I left off... (or, starting over)

After months away (post #294).... Starting over, removed previous virtual SL files on the ML machine. I created a new .cdr file on a SL machine, copied to my ML machine, and mounted the disk image. I then followed #5 and #6 in step one, and got as far as #7 in step two before getting the "invalid Mac OS version" error.

Although I created the .cdr file several days ago, I am reasonably sure I followed the instructions exactly. Today I carefully copied the terminal command, and the proper "ServerVersion.plist" response appeared. Troubleshooting steps have not solved it or revealed where I'm going wrong.

Attempting the sparse image approach, I created a new .sparseimage file, mounted on desktop (appeared to mount properly without needing conversion to .cdr, is this correct?), and attempted to follow post #322. In Terminal, I see "...ServerVersion.plist: No such file or directory". Attempting to use #322's convert-to-CDR command also fails. So I don't think I can proceed with the rest of the instructions for using a sparse image.

I'm getting desperate. Really need to use GoLive for a major upcoming project. Thanks for any help....

Karen

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Try the new Mountain Lion approach detailed in Post # 413.

If that does not work, I'll just have to come by and help you out (are you near any Metro station?)! Maybe i'll need some design work in the future...:rolleyes: Gifts, such as upgrade to P8 or ML are also to be considered...

Last edited:

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
UPDATE: iChat has been replaced by Messages in ML. Be sure you have launched Messages and setup an account, so that we can chat.

karendesign

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
Just saw post #413, will give that a go! Thanks... since I'm in L.A., I guess I'd have to hop the pond and come visit you!

Charles50

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2013
OS works, no shared disks

I seem to have followed the install instructions correctly, I'm on OS X 10.8 and got 10.6 installed nicely, according to the instructions.

But now I can't get any access to shared folders. I set up the shared folders, and there's no share point on the VM side. I found a folder called /Volumes/SharedFolders and there's nothing in there. And even worse, some of the options on the shared folder prefs seem to be missing.

I also can't get access to printer, it says feature not available for this OS.

Any ideas how to get this working? At this point, I'm trying to set up DropBox so I can get just a few apps onto this virtual box, but it may be futile if I can't get it working any better than this.

gilby101

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
But now I can't get any access to shared folders.

I have 'VMWare Shared Folders' on my desktop and in Finders's 'SL Mac' (or whatever you called it) as well as in /Volumes. And connects to what I have set up in VMware Fusion. I didn't do anything special. I hope this is not a VMware-Parallels difference.

But even if you fail to get shared folders working, you should be able to see network shares. Just make sure that the host OS X has File Sharing enabled in System Preferences.

I also can't get access to printer, it says feature not available for this OS.

Make sure that the host OS X has Printer Sharing enabled. Then any printers should show up in the VM's list of available printers. You did enable printers when you installed SL, didn't you?

karendesign

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
Michael, Success! Using post #413 and your original installation instructions, at last Snow Leopard is virtually alive! :) Merci beaucoup to you and gilby101 and everyone else in the chain. Now let's see how application installs go.

Does the Parallels Tools icon have to remain on the SL desktop or can it be trashed?

If it hasn't already been noted elsewhere, for users of Parallels 8 the path to the Parallels Tools file is Mac HD/Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/Resources/Tools/.

--Karen

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Great news and in time for your GoLive Project, too!

You can eject (trash) the Parallels Tools icon.

Since I have not yet upgraded to Version 8 (nor has anyone donated an upgrade to me :) ) please explain in more detail your note about the path for Parallels Tools and how it incorporates into my instructions, so I can update the instructions for Version 8, too.

I currently note this as: "These instructions will work for Parallels 8. In STEP THREE #1: Parallels Tools is built into the main program in Parallels 8, so there is no need to install any ISO file as a CD/DVD, as instructed. Instead use: "Update Parallels Tools" from the Virtual Machine menu."

Let me know if you have any program installation problems, as well...

karendesign

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
GoLive CS2 installed correctly and appears to run as expected.

How to access files on the host Mac? I don't keep project files in either the shared public folder or my user directory, both accessible from the virtual OS.

My first thought is an alias to my project folder(s) on the host--place in a shared folder, then drag to any virtual location I choose.

Or I could sign in to the host, then access any file on its HD. But I'd like to avoid extra steps in day-to-day workflow.

Any best practices for accessing/sharing files between the virtual and host machines?

Thanks,
K

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 31, 2011
Karen:

Please clarify where you store your GoLive files.

Also can you please answer this inquiry I directed to you in my last post to you:

Since I have not yet upgraded to Version 8 (nor has anyone donated an upgrade to me ) please explain in more detail your note about the path for Parallels Tools and how it incorporates into my instructions, so I can update the instructions for Version 8, too.

I currently note this as: "These instructions will work for Parallels 8. In STEP THREE #1: Parallels Tools is built into the main program in Parallels 8, so there is no need to install any ISO file as a CD/DVD, as instructed. Instead use: "Update Parallels Tools" from the Virtual Machine menu."

karendesign

macrumors newbie
Oct 5, 2012
Michael,

I realize Parallels 8 may have the Tools available through the menu, but there are times (even with Windows and other guest OS installs) when there's a problem. Thought the path might be useful to others. With Parallels 8 not in your instructions (hey, forum users, can we get a collection going to thank Michael for all his efforts?), I must have missed this reference in the thread.

GoLive documents are stored in multiple locations in the host OS. HD/Projects/ProjectName/Files is a typical example.

--Karen

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.