Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GreatUsername

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
Okay, so I've been using a PC for a while now and I'm just tired of it. I've been looking into getting a Mac but I'm just pulling my hair out on when to get one. I want a Macbook Air and I've decided to wait for late 2013 at the earliest since OS X10.9 is due to come out this Summer and Retina display should be on the Air by Fall (Not 100% sure if these are true, it's just what I read on the internet). The problem is, OS X10.9 is going to be the last 10.anything and I don't know if OS X11 (or whatever it's going to be called) will just be another operating system I can install via disk or if it'll be a major change that'll render my computer obsolete. Plus, there's that rumor that Apple will abandon Intel processors ten years after they started using them which will be 2015. If they do this, then who know's what will become incompatable. So should I get an Air late 2013 or late 2014? 2015? I can live with my PC until then, I just really want to get a Mac the sooner the better. I know you guys can't predict the future but your best speculation is appreciated.

I'm probably just overthinking this :/

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
Get the 2013 MBA - it will most likely not have retina display - IMHO

No mac will be outdated (not receiving the next OS X) after 1 year.

If you can afford the mac this summer when it is released - go for it!

GreatUsername

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
Whenever you need or want one and can afford it.
I won't need one until 2014-2015 but I want one now! :p

It appears the days of Apple distributing new releases of the Mac OS on disc are over. They haven't done that since Snow Leopard.
Still, OS X11 or whatever may be something completely new. But then again, Apple probably wouldn't change everything and make it so everyone has to go out and get a new computer. But then again they'd get more money... But then again, they could make a special offer for us to trade in our old Macs for the new ones...

I'm overthinking again.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
I won't need one until 2014-2015 but I want one now! :p

Still, OS X11 or whatever may be something completely new. But then again, Apple probably wouldn't change everything and make it so everyone has to go out and get a new computer. But then again they'd get more money... But then again, they could make a special offer for us to trade in our old Macs for the new ones...

I'm overthinking again.

Yup, over thinking. They wouldn't change it so that everybody had to buy a new computer. Just would never happen.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Still, OS X11 or whatever may be something completely new.
Apple isn't going to go back to offering Mac OS on disc, especially since more and more Macs are being introduced without an optical drive. It's clear the direction is away from discs and toward downloads.

GreatUsername

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
Don't get one, you won't be happy. Buy a surface.
Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of getting a Mac in the first place?

Based on what everyone's been saying about the future of OS X, I'm confident it won't be a problem anymore. Now my acquisition of an MBA is contingent on Retina. I won't have the money for an Air until late this year anyway so I'll be waiting no matter what.

Violet1337

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2013
Okay, so I've been using a PC for a while now and I'm just tired of it. I've been looking into getting a Mac but I'm just pulling my hair out on when to get one. I want a Macbook Air and I've decided to wait for late 2013 at the earliest since OS X10.9 is due to come out this Summer and Retina display should be on the Air by Fall (Not 100% sure if these are true, it's just what I read on the internet). The problem is, OS X10.9 is going to be the last 10.anything and I don't know if OS X11 (or whatever it's going to be called) will just be another operating system I can install via disk or if it'll be a major change that'll render my computer obsolete. Plus, there's that rumor that Apple will abandon Intel processors ten years after they started using them which will be 2015. If they do this, then who know's what will become incompatable. So should I get an Air late 2013 or late 2014? 2015? I can live with my PC until then, I just really want to get a Mac the sooner the better. I know you guys can't predict the future but your best speculation is appreciated.

I'm probably just overthinking this :/

I, too, have decided to wait for the 2013 MBA model, even though rumors speculate that they will only be minor changes. No way could I wait for the 2014 or the 2015, that's way too long for me. I was caught deciding between the 2012 and the 2013 model however, seeing as the 2012 model is now over 6 months old, I figured the best option would be to get the 2013. Still... I hope that it's released soon! I could wait 5 months but probably not 8.

wickedking94

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
Don't get a Mac. They're far over priced for what you get. For the 1200$ minimum you will spend on a mac you could easily build or buy a computer that's 2-3 times faster than a similar priced Mac and if it breaks you can take it to a regular computer technician instead of an expensive Mac "expert". Plus unlike apple, the PC industry is unlikely to dramatically change things like processor architectures or drop support for highly used things like Rosetta or DVD drives. Another plus to the PC industry is that they actually care about what customers want instead of making stupid gimmicks just so they can make silly claims about "retina" resolution that just eats up performance for the sake of looking pretty. Plus with a PC, if your more tech savvy you can customize things like graphics settings and UI appearance instead of being stuck with one bland look. And you won't have to worry about being out dated every year because unlike apple Microsoft only releases and new operating system every 2-3 years instead of every year, and the continue to support operating systems that are more than 2 years old.

Posted with my Nexus 7. 150$ cheaper than an iPad mini and has far better hardware.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
Don't get a Mac. They're far over priced for what you get. For the 1200$ minimum you will spend on a mac you could easily build or buy a computer that's 2-3 times faster than a similar priced Mac
Posted with my Nexus 7. 150$ cheaper than an iPad mini and has far better hardware.

Please find me a PC laptop that has the same or better form factor as the 13 inch MBA, same or less weight, keyboard, trackpad, build quality, same fan noise, all for a significantly cheaper price.

Plus with a PC, if your more tech savvy you can customize things like graphics settings and UI appearance instead of being stuck with one bland look.

The "bland" look of OS X is infinitely better looking than any lame Visual Style you can apply to Windows 7/8. OS X destroys Windows 7 in visual appeal and even usability. Windows still doesn't have multiple workspaces built into the OS after all these years LOL

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
Now my acquisition of an MBA is contingent on Retina. I won't have the money for an Air until late this year anyway so I'll be waiting no matter what.

prepare for the retina premium. I imagine they will start at a base price of 1499$

GreatUsername

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013

I believe you're on the wrong forum.

As coldjeanzzz said, find me a PC laptop with an i7 processor, nvidia graphics card, solid state 500gb flash drive, 5 million pixels in a 13" display, weighs 3 pounds, has the latest Bluetooth and WiFi, 720p camera, 16gb of memory, 7 hours of wireless web with two months of standby time, less than ten seconds of boot time, runs OS X with full comparability, fits in a manila envelope, made from a solid aluminium unibody, backlit keyboard, speech to text integration (and soon Siri), customizable gestures for trackpad and mouse, one convenient place to download programs, apps, and games, synchronization with your phone, tablet, and mp3 player, silent asymmetrical fans, and has access to the greatest customer service in the world all for thousands of dollars less. Clearly, the only way to have all of the features of a Mac, is to get a Mac.

wickedking94

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
Please find me a PC laptop that has the same or better form factor as the 13 inch MBA, same or less weight, keyboard, trackpad, build quality, same fan noise, all for a significantly cheaper price.

Fan noise you say? Yes my macbook sounds like I have a Cessna parked in my room.

The "bland" look of OS X is infinitely better looking than any lame Visual Style you can apply to Windows 7/8. OS X destroys Windows 7 in visual appeal and even usability. Windows still doesn't have multiple workspaces built into the OS after all these years LOL

"Destroys" you mean it has color, and I can choose what color I want?

----------

I believe you're on the wrong forum.

As coldjeanzzz said, find me a PC laptop with an i7 processor, nvidia graphics card, solid state 500gb flash drive, 5 million pixels in a 13" display, weighs 3 pounds, has the latest Bluetooth and WiFi, 720p camera, 16gb of memory, 7 hours of wireless web with two months of standby time, less than ten seconds of boot time, runs OS X with full comparability, fits in a manila envelope, made from a solid aluminium unibody, backlit keyboard, speech to text integration (and soon Siri), customizable gestures for trackpad and mouse, one convenient place to download programs, apps, and games, synchronization with your phone, tablet, and mp3 player, silent asymmetrical fans, and has access to the greatest customer service in the world all for thousands of dollars less. Clearly, the only way to have all of the features of a Mac, is to get a Mac.

No I'm on the right forum, and like you I was dazzled by all the stuff you mentioned, but none of that is very comforting when my 2 year old computer can't play a simple game. And my brother has been more than happy with his PC laptop that doesn't have all that crap, and he's used mine for comparison. And really? Fits in an envelope? Who the hell needs a computer to fit in an envelope?

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
I don't know what rumor sites you frequent but I try to keep myself informed about future Mac upgrades and here is what I think (obviously not fact but I read macrumors and other tech blogs on a regular basis for fun)

A) I think if you don't need a computer now waiting until the 2013 MBAs come out is a good idea. It doesn't sound like it will be a huge upgrade but if this is your first Mac might as well be the best you can get.

B) You do NOT want to buy the MBA right after 10.9 comes out. Better to get it right before. You will be guaranteed a free OS upgrade and you won't have to deal with the early adopter issues that have happened with every single OS (Not saying they happen to everybody but they are a lot less likely to happen if you wait)

C) Apple does not like to make sudden risky changes, particularly where software is concerned. I highly doubt that after 10.9 the next OS (no one is predicting it will be OS 11) will be such a radical shift you will have to throw everything you knew about computers out the window. And in the unlikely event that Apple does feel the need to make a windows 7 > 8 type transition your hardware will still be supported. Laptops that came with windows 7 can be upgraded to windows 8 right?

I also agonized FOREVER about buying my first Mac. (Seriously it took me 2 years of spying on this forum). But that computer (2009 MBP) was my favorite laptop.

JoeyCloverfield

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2012
No I'm on the right forum, and like you I was dazzled by all the stuff you mentioned, but none of that is very comforting when my 2 year old computer can't play a simple game. And my brother has been more than happy with his PC laptop that doesn't have all that crap, and he's used mine for comparison. And really? Fits in an envelope? Who the hell needs a computer to fit in an envelope?

The guy asked WHEN he should get a mac not IF. Obviously he's done his research and believes a Mac would be a better option for him. If he's wrong, he could always sell it and buy a PC.

P.S.: The Nexus comment is irrelevant. I assume you own something with the Apple logo or otherwise you would in fact be in the wrong forum. Anyways, I'm glad you've found you prefer PCs.

To OP: Just get the 2013 model. The future will always be better than the past so you might as well enjoy the present.

coldjeanzzz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2012
That guy is just mad bc he doesn't seem to understand his Mac very well and is blaming the product as a result.

wickedking94

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2010
That guy is just mad bc he doesn't seem to understand his Mac very well and is blaming the product as a result.

No why would the guy with FIT industry gold level and cisco hardware and software certification understand a computer? Clearly I don't know every tiny detail about the computer I bought and have used daily for the last 3 years.

I understand my Mac perfectly well. I'm blaming the product because the product isn't good.

Project538

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
Iowa, USA
This wickedking guy has been posting negative, angry crap in multiple topics for a few days now, if I recall correctly. Take your complaining elsewhere. I don't think anyone here cares.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
Back to the topic.

The best time to get a Mac is when it has just been updated. Refreshes come every year, and sometimes even twice a year. The refreshes usually coincide with the release date of new Intel processors, a few days or weeks later.

Redesigns come every few years, and it's even better to get a Mac after a redesign, as not only the components are refreshed.

The MacBook Air was last redesigned in 2010, and the next one will come in 2013 or 2014 or even later, depending on Apple, with most people betting at 2014.

The MacBook Pro was redesigned in 2012, with the release of the retina display version. However, it is expensive. The non-retina version is a legacy product, as it was released in 2008. Probably will be discontinued soon.

The Mac laptops, with the exception of the 13" MacBook Pro with retina display, have been refreshed in June 2013. The next refresh will probably come in June 2013 or even later, to coincide with the release of Intel next processor, Haswell. In June 2013, or later, expect the MacBook Air and the 15" MacBook Pro to be released, as it is the date set for release of processors fitted for these machines. The 13" MacBook Pro should get a September/October release.

kulimer

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2011
Don't listen to the guys telling you get it whenever. Get it when it's just updated!

My rule of thumb: get it within 4 months of an update. Or wait towards the end of the update cycle, because places like Best Buy will put it on sale.

If you are eligible for student discount, Best Buy sales probably won't beat it.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
If you can wait few months, then wait. If the product refresh underwhelms, the current crop will sell in the refurb bin at a steeper discount than that you see today. Don't overthink this, just try to get the best deal you can and don't look back.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I recommend you buy what you need, when you need it. It's a pointless effort to chase the "next update", since you don't know for certain what it will include or when it will be, and there will always be a "next update" coming, no matter when you buy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.