Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kdeffects

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
I have distributed Macbook Air's to my 4 employees for my personal business in financing. My question is, if one of them decides to pull the battery out, will the Firmware lock I have on it, be reset?

kdeffects

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
Not only won't it work, I believe that Apple classify the Air as a model that the user should not attempt to remove the battery. Out of curiosity, why do you want to?

I'm just concerned that's all!. Is there a reason that removing power to the EFI chip won't reset it like it does on all other models?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I'm just concerned that's all!. Is there a reason that removing power to the EFI chip won't reset it like it does on all other models?

The way I understand it is that the EFI chip acts like the old EPROM modules, each EFI update re-programmes the chip, and that code remains power or no power....I think that's how it works....

kdeffects

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
The way I understand it is that the EFI chip acts like the old EPROM modules, each EFI update re-programmes the chip, and that code remains power or no power....I think that's how it works....

Alright good thing then. Why am I seeing this on eBay and other sites though? They will take it and reset it for you.

This brings me back to say, my sister went to an apple store to get her aunt's reset because she had passed away and they wouldn't reset it without the paperwork you get when you buy it.

kdeffects

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013

I'm also now looking for a way to crack these and find the algorithm that has many baffled. I would assume to see this figured out within months.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I'm also now looking for a way to crack these and find the algorithm that has many baffled. I would assume to see this figured out within months.

I not suggesting anybody try this, but in the old old day's we used to use EPROM burners....Times have changed and that would mean removing the chip, knowing the code etc. I used to play around with custom EPROM's, but my MBA isn't coming apart...:)

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Not only won't it work, I believe that Apple classify the Air as a model that the user should not attempt to remove the battery. Out of curiosity, why do you want to?

He's probably the person who wants to reset the password.

kdeffects

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013

I love how ignorant people like you are. I'm simply a person who seeks knowledge. If you have no way or advice for me, then don't respond at all. I've already figured it out anyway.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I love how ignorant people like you are. I'm simply a person who seeks knowledge. If you have no way or advice for me, then don't respond at all. I've already figured it out anyway.

Don't be so rude to people.

For the record, only Apple can reset the password. Those services on eBay will just have internal connections.

kdeffects

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 4, 2013
Don't be so rude to people.

For the record, only Apple can reset the password. Those services on eBay will just have internal connections.

For the record, stating a fact that someone is ignorant isn't rude. Assuming like he did is, in fact, rude.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
It certainly appears that way, since the OP's questions started with an expressed concern that their "employees" may find a way to reset it, then shifted to the OP wanting to figure out how to do exactly the same thing:
I'm also now looking for a way to crack these and find the algorithm that has many baffled.
While the OP's motives may, indeed, be legit, the direction of this thread suggests a possible alternate interpretation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.