Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Always the best idea :)

If you want to play deathmatch pad will always lose if the players are equally skilled. Just too slow and inaccurate.

If you want to play a beat em up then the keyboard and mouse will always lose as a pad is just much better for multiple key combos.

That's what I think anyway ;)

Unless you have something like a Naga which has Mac software and can record macros? :p

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Unless you have something like a Naga which has Mac software and can record macros? :p

Yeah but I could just use a Streetfighter V arcade 360 stick with programmable buttons. You can use it on the Mac with the 360 drivers and my extra gamepad support script. :p

I think I have a good 40 odd third party 360 devices working and a lot of those are fight sticks :p

colinw0239

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
New here on the forums but a long time lurker -- hi! I need help! :p

I keep getting this message in my preferences, "To use the “Xbox 360 Controllers” preferences pane, System Preferences must quit and reopen." When I click okay, Preferences restarts and I get the same error.

I had the 360 driver working flawlessly for a little until I tried to play Borderlands 2. BL2 forums suggested I remove these files to get it to work:

HD/Receipts/Installer.plist
HD/Startup Items/360 Control Daemon
HD/System/Library/Extensions/360Controller.kext
HD/System/Library/Frameworks/Forcefeedback.framework

Still didn't work, so I downloaded Gamepad Companion, and I got the controller working. Upon quitting Borderlands to mess with GP Companion's bindings, everything went haywire. A loud buzzing sound happened, I couldn't control Companion, so I uninstalled EVERYTHING and started over from the top.

It has now been 3 hours and I still can't get it working again. I've tried most of the suggestions posted on this forum.

Any help would be tremendously appreciated! It was working before I messed with those files, so I'm sure I can get it working again. I just can't figure out how to do it. Nothing seems to work!

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
New here on the forums but a long time lurker -- hi! I need help! :p

I keep getting this message in my preferences, "To use the “Xbox 360 Controllers” preferences pane, System Preferences must quit and reopen." When I click okay, Preferences restarts and I get the same error.

I had the 360 driver working flawlessly for a little until I tried to play Borderlands 2. BL2 forums suggested I remove these files to get it to work:

HD/Receipts/Installer.plist
HD/Startup Items/360 Control Daemon
HD/System/Library/Extensions/360Controller.kext
HD/System/Library/Frameworks/Forcefeedback.framework

Still didn't work, so I downloaded Gamepad Companion, and I got the controller working. Upon quitting Borderlands to mess with GP Companion's bindings, everything went haywire. A loud buzzing sound happened, I couldn't control Companion, so I uninstalled EVERYTHING and started over from the top.

It has now been 3 hours and I still can't get it working again. I've tried most of the suggestions posted on this forum.

Any help would be tremendously appreciated! It was working before I messed with those files, so I'm sure I can get it working again. I just can't figure out how to do it. Nothing seems to work!

Borderlands 2 works with the 360 (wired) controller without drivers. If you install any drivers it breaks the built in support.

For other controllers you need the drivers and gamepad companion so you can fake keyboard controls.

Jameshrcairns

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2008
Hey guys, started this thread a few years ago now, and that was on my old MacBook, recently bought an imac late 2012 and was wondering if anyone has got it working on mountain lion? I've still got the wireless receiver and controller..

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Hey guys, started this thread a few years ago now, and that was on my old MacBook, recently bought an imac late 2012 and was wondering if anyone has got it working on mountain lion? I've still got the wireless receiver and controller..

It's been working for years (well since Mountain Lion was released)! In the last 3 months I extended the drivers to support loads of third party 360 pads too!

Just instal the 0.11 drivers and you're set if you have an original 360 pad and the wireless dongle. Just works as they say!

Edwin

Last edited:

Jameshrcairns

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2008
It's been working for years (well since Mountain Lion was released)! In the last 3 months I extended the drivers to support loads of third party 360 pads too!

Just instal the 0.11 drivers and you're set if you have an original 360 pad and the wireless dongle. Just works as they say!

Edwin

And where can I find these drivers? (Sorry to be dopey haha, haven't been using a mac for a while)

colinw0239

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2013
Borderlands 2 works with the 360 (wired) controller without drivers. If you install any drivers it breaks the built in support.

For other controllers you need the drivers and gamepad companion so you can fake keyboard controls.

Oops, I forgot to mention -- I'm using an Afterglow AX.1

Anyway, I had borderlands working with the 360 driver + gamepad companion, but then everything got messed up when I quit the game.

I'm sure I can get it working, I just have to start completely from scratch -- only problem is I don't know what to delete in order to do so, other than what I've mentioned above.

The biggest problem is how the driver won't even open in System Preferences.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
The two biggest gaming software companies for the mac don't help this situation.

Feral interactive games require the use of the tattlebogie driver, while Aspyr requires it to be deleted from the computer for their games to work with the wired version of the xbox controller, wireless version (with the wireless receiver) isn't supported either...... Very frustrating situation for mac gamers!

http://support.feralinteractive.com/en/guides/gamepads/

I guess a quick install/removal script could be made, and maybe an unofficial patch for the wireless receiver, but it's well beyond my knowledge....

EDIT: I saw in another post that ps3 controllers are supported by Feral Interactive, without drivers needed. I would much prefer to use my existing hardware vs purchasing new hardware, but it is what it is......

Last edited:

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
EDIT: I saw in another post that ps3 controllers are supported by Feral Interactive, without drivers needed. I would much prefer to use my existing hardware vs purchasing new hardware, but it is what it is......

It's not just Feral games. Several other Mac games (non-Feral) also have support for the PS3 Dualshock controller without needing any additional drivers.

http://www.feralinteractive.com/downloads/support/PS3_Gamepad_MacOSX.mov

The "magic" to this situation is simply because the PS3 Dualshock controller is an HID-compliant device as well as using standardized Bluetooth technology. Apple's MacOSX supports those standards. And MacOSX these days has built-in drivers that automatically detect (most) HID-compliant input devices. So as long as the Mac game says "PS3 Dualshock controller supported", you can use that gamepad without having to fumble around with any additional third-party drivers.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Yep this gamepad thing and driver/no driver is just stupid IMHO. So I need an Xbox controller with no drivers installed to play Modern Warfare, but if I want to play Borderlands, I need to either install the driver or use a Playstation controller.

So $100 in controllers or some sort of way to uninstall the driver easily each time I switch games.

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
Yep this gamepad thing and driver/no driver is just stupid IMHO. So I need an Xbox controller with no drivers installed to play Modern Warfare, but if I want to play Borderlands, I need to either install the driver or use a Playstation controller.

So $100 in controllers or some sort of way to uninstall the driver easily each time I switch games.

.... maybe someone could write an AppleScript? (to load/unload those drivers)

Not sure if AppleScript is capable of loading/unloading MacOSX drivers. I know that back in the MacOS9 days, it was very capable of turning ON/OFF just about any Extensions/Drivers inside the System Folder.

mpl9189

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
Help!

Hi, I'm trying to connect my microsoft xbox controller to my mac, but it just doesn't seem to connect. Every time I try, the light flashes a couple of times and then stops. I downloaded the 360ControllerInstall, and Gamepad, neither of them is registering it. Then I read through this thread, and I tried what others had said about using terminal, so I tried it, and every time I get to the sudo command, I get this:

Password:
Sorry, try again.
Password:
Sorry, try again.
Password:
Sorry, try again.
sudo: 3 incorrect password attempts
lucyisloved1112:360ControllerInstall Michael$

I'm 100% sure that I'm entering in the administrator password correctly, I really don't know why it isn't working. Can anyone help?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Hi, I'm trying to connect my microsoft xbox controller to my mac, but it just doesn't seem to connect. Every time I try, the light flashes a couple of times and then stops. I downloaded the 360ControllerInstall, and Gamepad, neither of them is registering it. Then I read through this thread, and I tried what others had said about using terminal, so I tried it, and every time I get to the sudo command, I get this:

Password:
Sorry, try again.
Password:
Sorry, try again.
Password:
Sorry, try again.
sudo: 3 incorrect password attempts
lucyisloved1112:360ControllerInstall Michael$

I'm 100% sure that I'm entering in the administrator password correctly, I really don't know why it isn't working. Can anyone help?

That 100% means you are not typing in the correct password for the user called "Michael".

You can test this by opening the terminal and typing the line below exactly and pressing enter.

sudo ls

You will be prompted your password if you cannot get it to work correctly then that is your problem. You can also test this by using the lock / unlock button in the System Preferences "Users" section. Remember your Mac password is different to your iCloud user/password just in case you are entering that one instead.

Edwin

Jameshrcairns

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2008
Seeing as this thread has got quite a few views.. I'm going to edit the first post so that with the tutorial for it to work now.. Only problem Is I don't know how to do this anymore.. So can someone write a tutorial for this and ill put it in first post and ill credit you at the bottom?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Seeing as this thread has got quite a few views.. I'm going to edit the first post so that with the tutorial for it to work now.. Only problem Is I don't know how to do this anymore.. So can someone write a tutorial for this and ill put it in first post and ill credit you at the bottom?

1. Simply make sure you have a working installation of at least version 0.11 of the 360 drivers on your Mac. You can download them from here
  2. If you have a third party 360 gamepad download this file: Extra Gamepads Installer (Adds 65 third party devices to the supported list).
  3. Open the .command file (you might need to right click on the file and select "Open" to avoid annoying GateKeeper stuff) and enter your admin password when prompted. Your password is not displayed when you type just press enter once you have typed it in and the script will run.

Installing the driver will add support for the 360 gamepad and a few others. Running the script will add 65 third party gamepads and fight sticks. I don't offer any guarantees (neither do Feral) for the script but it seems to work well so far. If the pad is picked up by the drivers it should work in most/all games that support gamepads.

The 65 supported devices so far are:

Device Name - USB Vendor ID - USB Device ID
ArcadeGameStick 1848 18264 \
BatarangWired 5604 16144 \
BigBenController 5227 1537 \
Controller 1118 654 \
DOA4Stick 3853 10 \
GamestopGamepad 4779 770 \
GamestopGamepad2 7085 63745 \
GameStopGamepad3 3695 1025 \
GuitarHero 5168 18248 \
GuitarHero 5168 18248 \
HoriFightingStickEX2 3853 10 \
HoriFightingStickEX2B 7085 62725 \
HoriFightingStickEX2C 3853 13 \
HoriFSVX 7085 62723 \
HoriPadEX2Turbo 7085 62721 \
HoriPadEXTurbo 3853 12 \
HoriRAPVXSA 7085 62722 \
HoriUnnamed 7085 21760 \
HoriUnnamedBlueSolo 7085 64001 \
JoytekXbox360 5678 48879 \
JoytekXbox360 5678 48879 \
KonamiDancePad 4779 4 \
LogitechF310 1133 49693 \
LogitechF510 1133 49694 \
LogitechF710 1133 49695 \
MadCatzBrawlStick 7085 61465 \
MadCatzFightStickNeo 7085 61498 \
MadCatzGamepad 1848 18198 \
MadCatzGamepad2 7085 63746 \
MadCatzGamepad3 7085 61642 \
MadCatzFPSPro 7085 61479 \
MadCatzMicroConGamepad 1848 18230 \
MadCatzMicroGamepad 1848 18230 \
MadCatzPad3 7085 61462 \
MadCatzPortableDrum 1848 39025 \
MadCatzProGamepad 1848 18214 \
MadCatzProGamepad 1848 18214 \
MVC2TEStick 7085 61497 \
MVC2TEStick2 1848 46904 \
PDPAfterglow 7085 63744 \
PDPTron 7085 63747 \
PDPVersusPad 7085 63748 \
PowerAMiniProEXGreen 5604 16128 \
PowerAMiniProEXWhite 9414 21248 \
RAPEXSE 3853 22 \
RazerOnza 7085 64769 \
RazerOnza2 5769 64769 \
RazerOnzaTE 7085 64768 \
RazerOnzaTE2 5769 64768 \
RedOctaneController 5168 63489 \
RockBandDrums 7085 3 \
RockBandGuitar 7085 2 \
RockCandy 3695 287 \
SaitekCB360 1848 51970 \
SC4VF5Stick 3853 13 \
SF4FightPad 7085 61480 \
SF4FightPad2 1848 18216 \
SF4StickSE 1848 18200 \
SF4StickTE 1848 18232 \
SF4StickTER2 7085 61496 \
SSF4StickTE 1848 63288 \
SSFIVTEChunLi 7085 61501 \
StrikeController 5769 1 \
TSZPelican 3695 513 \
ThrustmasterGPXLightback 9414 23298

(Big hat-tip to Cesium133x for his simple guide that helped for the basis of my more streamlined script using the newer 0.11 drivers instead of the older 0.08 drivers)

Unless your game does work with gamepads I would recommend avoiding Gamepad Companion. It overrides the built in game support often making things harder not easier. If you are trying to play any Feral game I would not use Gamepad companion as we have support for over 100 gamepads now without needing anything installed or setup beyond the 360 driver for 360 pads.

If you ask nicely and email me at padsupport@feralinteractive.com with the Device name, USB Device and Vendor ID for a third party 360 device I can add it to the script and update the download link for everyone.

Edwin

Last edited:

colin288

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
Hey
This is a tutorial on how to use an xbox 360 wired or wireless controller (wireless controller needs wireless networking adaptor) with a mac for gaming. This also works with guitar hero controllers and rockband controllers etc.

First off you need to download two pieces of software

Gamepad Companion which can be found here:
http://www.carvware.com/gamepadcompanion.html (only a free trial but just download it again once the trial ends.)

Xbox 360 Controller Driver which can be found here:
http://tattiebogle.net/index.php/ProjectRoot/Xbox360Controller/OsxDriver

Then you install them
They should be installed in your System Preferences.
Plug in your controller either the wired controller via usb or for the wireless controller plug in the adaptor and then link the controller to the adaptor

Open up Xbox 360 controller driver, Hit a few keys to see if it works.
then open up gamepad companion, and then select on the left hand pane
Microsoft Xbox 360 Wired/Wireless Controller.

Depending on what game you wish to play you set the keys to different buttons
Say if u want the RB on the controller to be say L on the key, in Gamepad Companion you press the RB on the controller and then there should be a Title that says no action then click on the drop down menu select single key then type in say L then click start and it will start emulating the letter L when you press RB

Reply with Questions im Happy to Help

This is all possible by the people that have made the xbox 360 controller driver for mac os x at tattiebogle.net all the credit go to them and the makers of gamepad companion

Hope this Article Helps!

All the Best

I followed all those steps and my controller seems to not be able to be recognized by my computer. What should I do?

nateherman

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2013
Hrmmm...

So when I plug in my controller, the green circle flashes... Ive installed the driver and added the extra pad support command. It says no devices found, but when I click the "+" to see the list of supported gamepads, the "batarang wired controller" title is in a blue font whereas the others are in black... It seems to know which controller I have plugged in, but it is not registering that any device is plugged in. Im running OSX 10.8.2. I borrowed my friend's xbox receiver, which allowed me to use a wireless first party controller no problem. Any suggestions on how to get my batarang recognized?

info:
Batarang wired controller (XBOX):

Product ID: 0x3f10

Vendor ID: 0x15e4

Version: 1.00

Serial Number: 00311D23

Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec

Manufacturer: BDA

Location ID: 0x14200000 / 3

Current Available (mA): 500

Current Required (mA): 500

Dibla420

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2013
Need help please guys nd gals...

I have just bought a new wired xbox 360 pad, when im plugging it in its just flashing once then going off , the mac can detect the controller, Controller:

Product ID: 0x028e
Vendor ID: 0x045e (Microsoft Corporation)
Version: 1.14
Serial Number: 1BF9DA0
Speed: Up to 12 Mb/sec
Manufacturer: ©Microsoft Corporation
Location ID: 0x3a200000 / 2
Current Available (mA): 500
Current Required (mA): Unknown (Device has not been configured)

Ive tryed a few things ive read but i cant get it working the xbox 360 controllers section in system preferences just doesnt recognise it, any suggestions??

rickfil

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2008
Batarang Wired Controller

I two have that Batarang Wired Xbox controller and no luck. I also can see the flashing Xbox logo and the pretty lights on the controller but can't do anything from there. I think it is made by Power A or something. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.