Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
I have a pioneer fh-p8000bt right now that I love and hate. I love the great sound I can get with my factory speakers, I love the controls, I love the iPhone integration, and I love the Bluetooth media playback.

I hate how unstable the unit is. I am constantly unplugging my iPhone and reconnecting and resetting it so it will play something rather than say "no songs." Music over Bluetooth works flawlessly, but I have to use the touchscreen while driving. Calls over Bluetooth become garbled at random moments but are just fine when I take it off of Bluetooth. (Apparently, this is a known problem with pioneer and iPhones.). And Siri is even worse!

I am looking for another non-touchscreen double-fun radio. Any recommendations?

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
JVC Arsenal KD-925BT

My JVC KD-X50BT works flawlessly with my iPhone 5.

I have installed the JVC Arsenal KD-925BT (http://support.jvc.com/consumer/product.jsp?modelId=MODL028809) on four different Toyotas. Everyone in my family owns either an iPhone 4, 4S, or 5.

This unit has NO problems connecting via Bluetooth and making calls, playing music, etc.

The unit can pair up to two phones at the same time. It works really well.

I went show-rooming at the local audio car dealer and he said that the JVC units seemed to be the most compatible with iPhones.

Now this model of JVC is about two years old, so I'm sure there is a better JVC unit that you can get now....

jokerz126

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
any updates? car stereo w/ Siri and iphone 5?

hi! just wondering if any updates could be made here? I'm looking for a new car stereo for my 2003 Corolla...would like one that works well with bluetooth and Siri with my iphone 5...wondering if the options have improved?? I went to Best Buy today, and to be honest, the choices seem disappointing...the guy tried to demo one for me, but it seemed useless?!

it sort of seems like the manufacturers are way behind on Siri integration into their products

any input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

jmflo571

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
The new 2013 models from pioneer and kenwood are a few decks that work well with the iphone 5. the deh-x8500 from pioneer works amazingly well with bluetooth and the deck displays metadata, which has been one of the issues with many decks ever since ios6 came out

If your willing to spend a little extra the 2013 kenwood excelon decks are pretty awsome.

Some of these decks like the pioneer have a key (usually the call/answer button) that when held down activate voice command/siri.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/CD-Receivers/DEH-X8500BH

http://www.kenwoodusa.com/Car_Entertainment/In-Dash_CD_n_DVD_Receivers/

Last edited:

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
My experience with Pioneer is that it works fantastic once it's installed, but the second you run even the slightest update everything goes to hell.

jokerz126

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
The pioneer didn't seem to tout siri integration as much as some of the newest kenwoods....how's the Bluetooth quality on the Kenwoods ? The Jabra Tour I've been using works well enough but an all in one car stereo would be better for me...the Excelon models have the external microphone which people seem to get better performance from right? Where does the external get positioned in the car?

I don't really care for the "video game effect" lighting some of these decks tout as features...I'd rather be able to send an email while driving on the highway instead of seeing some flashing lights! :)

jmflo571

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
The bluetooth on the kenwood is good, when i ask the other person how i sound, they said it doesnt sound like im driving.

Yes the excelon has an external hardwired mic, the placement of the mic depends on your car, but usually it would be placed as close as possible to the driver without any obstruction. I have mine on the steering wheel column.

jokerz126

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
Cool! Which specific ken wood did you get? Where does the external microphone get placed?

jmflo571

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2012
I have the kdc-x797, it drives my alpines type-s really well without an amp. The mic is on the steering column.

jokerz126

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
Great... I'll check it out... I'm just gonna connect it to my stock corolla speakers... I listen to jazz so no crazy subwoofer bass needed :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.