Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dipm06

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2009
Hey guys! I wanted to share how I shoot my long eposure photography at night. A lot of you will probably know all of this stuff, but a few of you might find something helpful in the video. Hope you enjoy!

Photos Below the Video

Here are some of the photos!

8189134678_7d80590e0d_z.jpg

8188040439_db310b77ac_z.jpg

8440241728_7d271e8197_z.jpg

Last edited:

mustang_dvs

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Durham, NC
Please don't take this as criticism (I like the mood of the photos, as you've processed them), but why the long exposures?

I've a friend who was embedded with the Royal Marines in Afghanistan and was able to use his 5D Mark II to photograph combat operations using only moonlight and the illumination of tracer rounds to produce photos that looked as though they were taken in daylight.

The point is: the 5DII (and 5DIII/1D4/1DX) have amazing low-light capabilities and very low noise up to ISO 800; if you're not using the slow shutter speed to demonstrate the passage of time, why not shoot that exact same scene at ISO 400, 1/2 sec, f/8.0?

Prodo123

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2010
Please don't take this as criticism (I like the mood of the photos, as you've processed them), but why the long exposures?

I've a friend who was embedded with the Royal Marines in Afghanistan and was able to use his 5D Mark II to photograph combat operations using only moonlight and the illumination of tracer rounds to produce photos that looked as though they were taken in daylight.

The point is: the 5DII (and 5DIII/1D4/1DX) have amazing low-light capabilities and very low noise up to ISO 800; if you're not using the slow shutter speed to demonstrate the passage of time, why not shoot that exact same scene at ISO 400, 1/2 sec, f/8.0?

1. The dynamic range at ISO 100 is far greater than at ISO 800.
2. Color saturation and contrast increases with longer exposure, enhancing the dramatic mood of the photo
3. Why have low noise when you can have no noise? ;)

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
All sorts of good things start to happen, IMO, when you put a camera on a tripod and shoot with long exposures: a very different look and feel to just cranking up the ISO. But 'night' photography, for me, is more like dusk or twilight photography: ie after the sun has gone down, but while there's still some colour in the sky. It's called the 'magic hour' for good reason... ;)

dipm06

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 28, 2009
All sorts of good things start to happen, IMO, when you put a camera on a tripod and shoot with long exposures: a very different look and feel to just cranking up the ISO. But 'night' photography, for me, is more like dusk or twilight photography: ie after the sun has gone down, but while there's still some colour in the sky. It's called the 'magic hour' for good reason... ;)

I do agree that photos taken at those hours are beautiful, but my focus in these ware to focus on the artificial lights that illuminate the streets at night!

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I do agree that photos taken at those hours are beautiful, but my focus in these ware to focus on the artificial lights that illuminate the streets at night!

I think Doylem was referring to the "Blue Hour," during which time you will have artificial lights showing in any urban areas, and because of the increased ambient light, you'll get a better balance between the various light sources. It's really difficult to get that sense of balance once the sky has gone black. At that point, lights tend to overwhelm a scene, making the photos a bit hard on the eyes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.