Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kfscoll

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2009
One reason I like BDs instead of digital downloads is that I can rip the BD using MakeMKV and HandBrake, store it on my NAS, and stream it to any TV in my house. I'm also not forced to use my AppleTV since the DRM is removed...I can stream it to my Oppo BD player, any computer, my iPad, my WD TV live, etc. I can also custom compress the video for use on my iPad or iPhone so the quality is great yet it doesn't take up too much space. Plus, I like having the physical media and on my home theater projector the quality of BD can't be beat.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
The new iMac does not have a DVD drive-so how do I play my DVD's etc?

Buy an external. I bought an LG one that I really love for my Mac mini; it's a traditional 5.25" Tray-load form-factor; cost me $50 and not only is it way faster than both Apple's internal slot-load SuperDrive and Apple's external USB SuperDrive, but it's also tons more reliable and $30 cheaper (than the external one; it's $80 cheaper than a replacement internal SuperDrive. Frankly, for Mac desktops, while it's stupid that they had to make it so thin, as far as optical drive options go, I'd almost say this was an improvement.

From what I understand this drive does not work with an iMac.Apple has to at least provide an alternative. And one that works!

It works with any Mac that didn't ship with an internal optical drive built-in. Even so, like I said above, it's not your best option by a long shot.

Do you think the SuperDrive will be updated for USB3?

No need, even the fastest optical drive reads at speeds slower than the average USB 2 data transfer rate.

well I have no tv so my computer is the only option. My question is can I use an external dvd drive and use in my older mac since the one in it is rather lousy?

Yes. You might not have an easy time using the Apple one, but as I stated earlier, the Apple one isn't your best option anyway. Non-Apple external optical drives will read on any Mac regardless of whether it has an internal ODD or not. If Apple put any kind of restriction, it's one in the firmware of the drive telling it not to work with certain Mac models. Stupid.

One reason I like BDs instead of digital downloads is that I can rip the BD using MakeMKV and HandBrake, store it on my NAS, and stream it to any TV in my house. I'm also not forced to use my AppleTV since the DRM is removed...I can stream it to my Oppo BD player, any computer, my iPad, my WD TV live, etc. I can also custom compress the video for use on my iPad or iPhone so the quality is great yet it doesn't take up too much space. Plus, I like having the physical media and on my home theater projector the quality of BD can't be beat.

Really Blu-Ray+(iTunes)Digital Copy is what needs to replace DVDs. And I feel like with that combo, they can. Otherwise, it's neither cost-effective nor universal enough (Thanks for no Blu-Ray Apple.).

bflowers

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2006
Digital content is all fine and dandy, but you have to make trade offs. Sure, I could get the HD content, but then I need a bigger HDD to store it all, and I need to start worrying about my ISP hitting me with a monthly bandwidth cap. That isn't a problem with DVDs and BRs that I can buy, rent or check out at the library!

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
If i used optical media a lot these days I would actually prefer the external drive. I think aesthetically it would look more beautiful having it detached from the iMac. Something about that slot in the side was a turn off in design for me. Having a mac mini like box sitting beside your iMac looks more reliable, sturdy and adds some interest to your workspace.

vrocket

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2009
Apple going backwards

Just another item missing and you have to pay extra for. Use to be we had floppy disc and to play a disc needed a aux. add on. I have used apple for years. Now they just keep nickel and dimeing the consumer with everything

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
Hey guys

When i come to get a new iMac i want to get a external blu ray drive which lets me play my DVDs and blu rays and burn my data what is the best one out there for mac and can you get any that is slot loading.

steve119

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2012
Scotland, land of the haggis
I've said this before, but until the price of digital content comes down in price then I will keep using blurays and the extra content you get with them. Why pay for digital copy's when you can have the physical disk in your hands for the same price?;)

NYY FaN

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2009
New York
I have an external dvd drive made by dell and it works perfectly.. no need to get an apple branded drive.

cherianna09

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2013
useful info on digital content

I know this is an old thread but just thought I would let in on a good reason not to rely on digital content. You don't actually own it! if you have a massive dvd/cd/game collection you can rest assured that you do actually own these items and therefore can bequeath them should you wish to when you shuffle off this mortal coil. Digital content however works differently, you do not own this you only own a user licence so when you die you cannot pass on your collection to anyone else or indeed give it to someone else whilst you are still alive!
If this isn't reason enough to buy the superdrive or ideally for mac to reinstate the dvd drive (pah as if that's gonna happen!) I don't know what is.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
I know this is an old thread but just thought I would let in on a good reason not to rely on digital content. You don't actually own it! in to anyone else or indeed give it to someone else whilst you are still alive! .........
If this isn't reason enough to buy the superdrive or ideally for mac to reinstate the dvd drive (pah as if that's gonna happen!) I don't know what is.

I'm with you on this! I still buy DVDs and CDs simply so that I don't have to worry about some silly new rule that deletes purchased content or starts only allowing you to play x number of times.

I really worry about my books on the Kindle app - I really need the app since I'm having too much trouble reading books on paper. My eye doctor recommended a Kindle and it's great. Unfortunately, Amazon has been known to cancel/take away purchases when things get messed up on their side. I'd much prefer paper books, but the Kindle app is so much easier on my eyes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.