Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
https://www.google.com/url?q=http://getpebble.com/&sa=U&ei=WN0PUdmOFurg0gGg6IDQDw&ved=0CDMQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNGZJWuUb-RCmoe6Cp7PYwZnJz44Ow

Im thinking of getting one. Anyone with experience?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I just don't see the actual use for it....as if it is hard to get notifications in your pocket, and it is very very ugly!

siiip5

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2012
I pre-ordered one. I'm sure some will say they can't understand why people would get one or that you can just take your phone out of your pocket and look that way, but those people are usually too short sighted to see the capabilities a watch like this provides.

I have hearing issues from months of live gun fire and years of jet engines/helo's. When my phone is in my pocket I have trouble hearing it and vibration is hit or miss, depending if I am sitting or standing. The Pebble has a very strong vibration that I will always feel on my wrist, ensuring i dont miss a call or text. And for completely deaf people this is a bonus.

Add to that the ability to continually upgrade the Pebble software to bring on things like pedometer, or how fast a pitcher throws his arm (thanks to the built in accelerometer), and not to mention added phone security. Imagine if your phone was always unlocked as long as it is within 6 feet of your linked watch. Let's say you left it in a bar or it is stolen. Without the watch or Googles 2 step manual verification, the phone is useless and can be remotely wiped or wipe itself after 5 unsuccessful login attempts. This watch has a multitude of features not found anywhere else.

Could it look better? Sure. But so could the iPhone5. That thing is ugly.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I love watches, and when the pebble becomes more widely available I'll pick one up. I missed out on the preorder.

I do have a metawatch which has its pros and cons, but I think the pebble is much more appealing. Time will tell, pun intended.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Totally forgot about these, but il just wait for peoples comments :) nice concept but for 150usd its a little steep.

billchase2

macrumors 68000
Feb 28, 2006
Ann Arbor
I backed this project on April 14th and mine should be shipped soon. It's at the "processing shipment" stage. Looking forward to receiving it!

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
I've been watching this team since they were inPulse (which I wanted to buy). I can't wait to get one, once they release their sdk, and start making apps for it.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Not into watches and dont wear one if i dont have to since i have my phone with me all the time. Id say for me, the watch would have to do more than it does now to even consider it. Right now id have no use for it.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Not into watches and dont wear one if i dont have to since i have my phone with me all the time. Id say for me, the watch would have to do more than it does now to even consider it. Right now id have no use for it.

I feel the same. For ME this is a solution to a problem that should have never existed. I can use my imagination to see why someone else my benefit from it though...

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
So many watch haters on this forum haha. Is it a generational thing? I'm in my late 20's and if I leave the house without a watch on I feel naked. Also I am in situations daily where pulling your phone out is either inappropriate or unsafe so maybe that has something to do with it.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
So many watch haters on this forum haha. Is it a generational thing? I'm in my late 20's and if I leave the house without a watch on I feel naked. Also I am in situations daily where pulling your phone out is either inappropriate or unsafe so maybe that has something to do with it.

I dont think wearing a watch has anything to do with how old someone is. I just dont prefer to wear one but i did for years only to work because i needed to but as soon as i got home, id take it off.
Now that my phone is with me all the time, i dont wear one. I dont like wearing any kind of jewelry either. I dont wear my wedding ring.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I have been wearing watches all my life and would feel something was missing, almost naked if I didn't have on one my wrist during the day, I prefer automatic watches and own a few but also have the odd G shock knocking around.

Fed

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Liverpool.
I broke my watch some time ago. There isn't a day that goes by where I check my wrist for the time and think "****, I need to get that repaired!".

Unfortunately (for Pebble at least) the Pebble doesn't interest me very much. It's a cool concept but I don't like digital watches. I'd be very interested in other consumer technology for notifications tied to different accounts or devices, just not a watch.

Edit: Regarding age, I'm 23 and have been wearing watches for years :)

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012

I love watches and also wear one every day, but they have to at least look good =/

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Given that aesthetics are completely subjective, thanks for forcing your opinion on us all as if it were fact. :rolleyes:

I know they are subjective, but I bet if you make a poll you will have about 80% saying it's ugly.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

I prefer to travel as light as possible throughout the day. I don't have a use for two different sources of time.

I DO like watches especially very nice watches but I cant justify the expense because like I mentioned I don't have a use for one. I don't like the way they feel with my sleeves on my shirts I wear with my suits either.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
LOL, love to read different opinions....no really i do! Its what makes for interesting conversations on things, such as the devices we use.

As for watches, on top of what ive already said, im not impressed by brand names. A long time ago a roomate of mine bought a Tag Haur(not sure how to spell it) watch and he was showing it off. Of course id never heard of it and he told me he got a great deal on it which was a few hundred i think. That thing looked like some divers watch and wasnt anything special to look at but he emphasized that, "its a Tag Haur".

Didnt look like anything special to me. A watch has no prestige value to me. Dont care who makes it. Could be a Timex, Rolex, or a Athletic Works and it wouldnt make any difference.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.