Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shredder-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
So, Im trying to install windows 7 on a partion. When I hold down the option key during boot the USB drive(s) wont show, yet they work fine in disk utility and are shown in finder. What should I do?

Shredder-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
Is there a Bootable iso on the flash drive?

Yes, I went through Bootcamp assistance - dragged my "Windows7Ultimate.iso" file to the field and installed it, followed by a "successful installation"

----------

What exactly is on that USB flash memory thumb drive and how did you create it?

The USB Drive is completely blank - I just formatted it through FAT-32.

Beecker

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2013
Michigan
Yes, I went through Bootcamp assistance - dragged my "Windows7Ultimate.iso" file to the field and installed it, followed by a "successful installation"

The format of the UBS drive is FAT 32 I take it or something other then NTFS?

LeeM

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2012
doesnt bootcamp do it all for you? when i did it i made the usb stick, clicked next or whatever and it restarted and booted into the windows install menu. didnt have to select a boot drive or anything

Shredder-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
doesnt bootcamp do it all for you? when i did it i made the usb stick, clicked next or whatever and it restarted and booted into the windows install menu. didnt have to select a boot drive or anything

Do explain.

It could just be a poor quality or dying stick...Can you try another one?
Ive tried two different sticks, one of them is brand new. Neither works. My 2TB HDD works though - but its formatted in MAC Journal and wont work for PC, cant really bother to format that one and lose all data as Ive got a good 300 GB worth of material on it

duervo

macrumors 68020
Feb 5, 2011
You shouldn't need to hold the option key down during boot to boot off the USB key.

Bootcamp Assistant should have already set that drive as the next boot device.

When you hold the option key down, it's bypassing anything that Bootcamp Assistant did for you.

You may need to re-do the Bootcamp Assistant from the start, but first I would try just booting the system without doing any option key.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/boot_camp_install-setup.pdf

Shredder-

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 4, 2012
You shouldn't need to hold the option key down during boot to boot off the USB key.

Bootcamp Assistant should have already set that drive as the next boot device.

When you hold the option key down, it's bypassing anything that Bootcamp Assistant did for you.

You may need to re-do the Bootcamp Assistant from the start, but first I would try just booting the system without doing any option key.

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/boot_camp_install-setup.pdf

I just tried this and it actually starts booting, though I get a black screen with a white message saying "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"
Just like this guide; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgWBY6IezQA

He suggests trying a different USB Drive, which I have - I bought a brand new one just for making this boot possible, still no success

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.