Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hobbers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2012
I've gone through two lightning cables for my iphone 5 since launch day, and tonight my second one actually short circuited and started smoking while charging my phone. In my opinion, this is the worst accessory/product I've ever owned. I hate the lightning connector with a burning passion.

Hobbers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2012
So you're answer to an inferior product is to use adapters which I shouldn't need in the first place?

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
I've gone through two lightning cables for my iphone 5 since launch day, and tonight my second one actually short circuited and started smoking while charging my phone. In my opinion, this is the worst accessory/product I've ever owned. I hate the lightning connector with a burning passion.

Are you buying fake ones online?

I bought one online. When I received it, I suspected it was a fake Apple lightning cable. Looks like the real thing, but the picture on the box looks kinda blurry and not as sharp as I expect from Apple. Thing fell apart in less than 1 hour of use.

Bought another directly from Amazon, and it works great. Picture on the box looks sharper.

Hobbers

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2012
Are you buying fake ones online?

I bought one online. When I received it, I suspected it was a fake Apple lightning cable. Looks like the real thing, but the picture on the box looks kinda blurry and not as sharp as I expect from Apple. Thing fell apart in less than 1 hour of use.

Bought another directly from Amazon, and it works great. Picture on the box looks sharper.

Nope, official apple cables, one from original iphone 5 packaging and one from best buy.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
So you're answer to an inferior product is to use adapters which I shouldn't need in the first place?

Not really. I don't have any problems with my Lightning cables, so my answer to your opinion that it's an inferior product is an alternative product.

Lunfai

macrumors 68000
Nov 21, 2010
Sheffield
I don't like the other end (the USB) part, when I plug it in the plug, it creeks and doesn't feel as sturdy but it is. It's because they thinned it out to make the cable even sleeker. I've had one replacement so far since the first one broke because the chip wasn't authenticating properly or something, which led to my iPhone refusing to charge on random occasions.

Other then that, I have no problems.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
I know this doesn't help the OP, but of the four iPhone5s in my house and the dozen or so cables in use (I like to have cables at each computer and one in each car, etc) that we've had since they first came out, all have been flawless.

Dunno if the OP is operating in an environment hostile to cables, but for him to go through so many bad ones seems highly unusual.

LaynieGorilla

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2011
PA
I went through two also.. I didn't know they had micro USB to lightening adapters. I'm getting those lol. But these new cable ARE a bit more flimsy

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
The one that came with my iPhone is working fine. I bought one from one of the cell phone kiosks at my local mall and it fell apart after an hour or so. Stick with the Apple branded ones.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
It seems all of the included USB cables that Apple includes have gotten cheap.

The first one started out just like the one below with the rubber bunching up. It eventually tore and exposed the wiring inside. Now this one is just a few months old and it too is doing the same thing.

Attachments

• photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 320

King Luis

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2008
have you thought about taking it in to apple and getting it replaced?
i'm pretty sure they'll replace that stuff for free.

i haven't had any issues with the 2 cables and 30 pin to lighting connector.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Nope, official apple cables, one from original iphone 5 packaging and one from best buy.

You need to go make Apple aware of it. I know it sounds trite for me to say, but think about it. As a manufacturer, they won't know how widespread a defect is unless owners that have experienced it, also report it.

Plus, Apple has been known to treat its customers very well, especially if you go in with a good attitude (no anger or sense of entitlement), and tell them about the potential damage it could have caused your iPhone.

Try.

It won't hurt, and could possibly help alot.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
It seems all of the included USB cables that Apple includes have gotten cheap.

The first one started out just like the one below with the rubber bunching up. It eventually tore and exposed the wiring inside. Now this one is just a few months old and it too is doing the same thing.

This is more likely caused by people pulling the wire and not the plug to remove it from the charger.

output555

macrumors member
Dec 17, 2006

Sorry for your bad luck (if that's what it is 'cause some of your post sounds far-fetched), but the switchover to Lightening is one of the best moves by Apple in years. The 30-pin connector was clumsy and much more susceptible to breaking than Lightening.

JoeFkling

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2013
are you grabbing the cable and the device to unplug or are you just pulling the device? Otherwise I cannot understand why your cable would be falling apart.

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
Yeah failing lightning cables is not a common problem, especially one that would start smoking. Post some pictures so that we can take a look. What kind of USB adapter are you connecting it to on the other end? Is it the Apple official one or some kind of other USB power device? It's possible you may be sending too much voltage through the cable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.