Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Apple OS 10.9 -- Clouded Leopard (see below)
Apple OS 10.8 -- Mountain Lion -- July 25, 2012 -- 9th major release OS X
Apple OS 10.7 -- Lion -- July 20, 2011 -- 8th major release of OS X
Apple OS 10.6 -- Snow Leopard -- June 8, 2009, 7th major release OS X
Apple OS 10.5 -- Leopard -- October 26, 2007, 6th major release of OS X
Apple OS 10.4 -- Tiger -- April 29, 2005, 5th major release of OS X
Apple OS 10.3 -- Panther -- October 24, 2003, 4th major release of OS X
Apple OS 10.2 -- Jaguar -- August 23, 2002, 3rd major release of OS X
Apple OS 10.1 -- Puma -- September 25, 2001, 2nd major release of OS X
Apple OS 10.0 -- Cheetah -- March 24, 2001, 1st release of OS X

Other than the "Clouded Leopard" found in southeast Asia, there are few other distinctive big cat names available.

How appropriate. But is it a "leopard too far"?

By the way, my nine-year-old granddaughter knew of the clouded leopard; she said it was in the National Geographic Almanac.

i dont know why but "clouded" sounds negative to me. like u dont see whats in front of u aka clouded judgement or something ^^

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
I suspect most Apple employees visit for comic relief. I doubt their reasons for browsing these forums are technical or creative in nature. That would be like a NFL team's manager sitting in on a fantasy sports league draft for ideas about improving their team.

Nimrad

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
I love Apple, Apple hardware and software are awesome compared to rest of industry. App Store as a software distribuition platform is great, upgrading for few bucks is awesome too.

But working in a computer shop i think releasing a new OS every year is bad, 1,5 years is much better, half a year more changes a lot.

Most users didn't update not for fear, software problems.... just because they don't know they can update, they didn't check often, don't understand the advantages of having an updated OS with better support, drivers, features.

Especially noob/new/slow users have more time to understand these things with longer updates times. Maybe to most of you this could sound strange but believe me more time is better and gives also Apple the chance to bugfix better. Almost every release is good, we as OS X users are paranoid and and ofter criticize but every OS X has been innovative, stable and cheap compared to the rest of industry.... but more time means even better test and stability at lunch.

Saying that.... i can't wait for 10.9 and as on 10.7 i hope for better 3D drivers. 10.7 was much more faster than 10.6 in 3D by a large margin. 10.8.3 should be a boost too.
I see what you're saying, but statistics show that update rates are a looooot faster nowadays than they have been. Ever.

That is probably because of the easy way to update, but remember. Running a big company like Apple is about looking at the big picture when making decisions.

----------

What's a liteny? No idea what that word means.

The advantage: Looking for places without Google knowing about it. And the maps should be quite good on a retina display.

What would be even better would be adding GPS to now MacBooks. They are portable computers, they can easily be taken into the car while driving and would give a nice, big display.

I do miss GPS on my rMBP. But that is not for using Maps. On my iPhone my GPS is only used about 10 % for Maps. Mostly it's for geotagging photos, geotagging notes in Evernote(which is a big deal for me), weather, find my iPhone etc. That's why I would want GPS in my rMBP

Felix01

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2008
Any rumors been posted about the minimum hardware requirements to run 10.9?

I have a mid-2007 MBP which just barely made the cut for Mountain Lion. It's merely being used as a data logging device for my weather station and surveillance cameras so no big deal if that particular laptop has to remain on 10.8. Still, I'm curious if there are any minimum hardware rumors floating around.

danielsutton

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2011
looking forward to seeing what new features they will bring. Although I think computers and phones/tablets are at a point at the moment where there is little extra to add so the revolution everyone is always expecting rarely turns up. New features are always nice though.

Look forward to it:)

I second you here, I agree that there are few iOS features left to be ported to OS X. Siri and the Maps app are two examples of features that will likely end up in 10.9. So now, I hope Apple takes this opportunity to fine-tune the OS so that it can be lighter and faster.

benwiggy

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2012
So now, I hope Apple takes this opportunity to fine-tune the OS so that it can be lighter and faster.
OS X is hardly a chubby tortoise.
I would rather that they stop removing things from the OS and mend all the bits that are still broken since Lion.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I second you here, I agree that there are few iOS features left to be ported to OS X. Siri and the Maps app are two examples of features that will likely end up in 10.9. So now, I hope Apple takes this opportunity to fine-tune the OS so that it can be lighter and faster.

There is one very, very big iOS feature missing: The ability to run iOS applications.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
in before the "in before somebody speculates on a cat name".. oh wait...

OS X Top Cat.

4SNOwht.jpg

----------

Apple OS 10.9 -- Clouded Leopard (see below)
Apple OS 10.8 -- Mountain Lion -- July 25, 2012 -- 9th major release OS X
Apple OS 10.7 -- Lion -- July 20, 2011 -- 8th major release of OS X
Apple OS 10.6 -- Snow Leopard -- June 8, 2009, 7th major release OS X
Apple OS 10.5 -- Leopard -- October 26, 2007, 6th major release of OS X
Apple OS 10.4 -- Tiger -- April 29, 2005, 5th major release of OS X
Apple OS 10.3 -- Panther -- October 24, 2003, 4th major release of OS X
Apple OS 10.2 -- Jaguar -- August 23, 2002, 3rd major release of OS X
Apple OS 10.1 -- Puma -- September 25, 2001, 2nd major release of OS X
Apple OS 10.0 -- Cheetah -- March 24, 2001, 1st release of OS X

Other than the "Clouded Leopard" found in southeast Asia, there are few other distinctive big cat names available.

How appropriate. But is it a "leopard too far"?

By the way, my nine-year-old granddaughter knew of the clouded leopard; she said it was in the National Geographic Almanac.

Not so. Take a look at these big cats Apple has not used yet:

Bobcat
bobcat_lying%255B1%255D.jpg

Ocelot
ocelot-identification-01.jpg

Caracal Cat
felis_caracal.jpg

Jaguarundi
Jaguarundi.jpg

Marbled Cat
marbled1.jpg

And there is probably more.
Also they won't use another leopard cause people will think it's part of the leopard/snow leopard duo of OS's and 10.9 is not. I think the Ocelot will be the name for 10.9.

noiseordinance

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012
Just give me 10.8.3 already. I'm more concerned about making the current OS work than the release of a new one.

Hurst

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
My only hope is they improve the management of contacts, addresses, group mgnt etc. I find it so basic and hard to manage personal and multiple busines contacts. I'm a massive Apple fan going back to the 80s but for me this one area that doesn't just work. Maybe I'm just not aware of the customisation

Unshra

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2011
It would be great if Apple finally decided to get with the times and upgrade OpenGL 3.2 to 4.3. I'll hope that we will see that with 10.9 but I won't except it to happen.
:apple:

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
Why would the removal of a feature you personally don't use and never have to see get you excited? Other people do use it...and it never needs to be visible as far as you're concerned, so why would it bother you?

I'm confused. :confused:

What does this have to do with wanting a UI redesign?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.