Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Northwestern

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
Today I got an offer. I can get an iPad 4 black 16GB (Cellular, unlocked) or an iPad mini white 32GB (Cellular, unlocked) for the great price of 499€, both are 1-2 month old and perfect looking.

I would say that my focus for an iPad would be web browsing and youtube while I am travelling or laying on the couch. I already have a MacBook Air 13" and an iPhone 4S. Right now I am using the iPhone 4S as my mobile device.

I tested both devices in an electronic store and both have their advantages.

iPad 4: powered stallion + eyefriendly retina
iPad mini: light weight + handy

What do you think would fit my purpose? Thanks in advance.

cruzmisl

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2012
I can't go back to using the full-sized heavy iPad after a few weeks with the mini.

utcoug

macrumors member
Mar 31, 2010
I can't go back to using the full-sized heavy iPad after a few weeks with the mini.

I agree to an extent. I realized after owning both that there were more trade-offs with the iPad Mini at this point in its still short life. The iPad 4, although larger and heavier is still a beast from a processing standpoint and that was more important for me. The iPhone 5 is enough mobile processing power for now. Doesn't stop me from carrying my iPad 4 everywhere I go though. :cool:

GreatDrok

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2006
New Zealand
had the 4 and took it back

got the 32gb kini adn i love it

alot easier to type and its easier to carry around

Did you type this on the mini? ;-)

Actually, I typed this on my mini and I agree it is nicer to carry around. So small it slides into the same sleeve I keep my MBA in although I have it in its own carry case when I do that just to protect both. I rarely use the MBA when I'm not working from my desk because the mini is so much more portable.

SuperBrown

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
Hollywoodland

Agreed. After getting a mini the full-size iPad feels like a monster. Mini is so easy to hold and carry around. The lack of a retina is a non-factor since the screen is plenty sharp in my opinion. I absolutely love mine.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
I wouldn't give up the size of the mini for the bigger iPad. But, I definitely do get jealous of my wife's retina iPad. It truly is an absolutely gorgeous display. That said, I'm happy enough with my mini that I'm not fussed. It works well as an e-reader and web browsing device.

kallyq

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2010
Like others, I love my mini more. That being said, I also love the retina and am looking forward to upgrading when it gets retina. It is the perfect size/weight. If it came down to it for browsing the internet, I would probably pick the bigger one if I was at home. Youtube either one...
On the go I like to bring my mini. Reading is definitely the mini.
I rarely use my 4 and will likely sell it (even though I do love the retina screen for text on the internet).

Axmann

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2009
iPad 4 IMO.

If I wanted something portable, I'd just get an iPod touch. Contrary to what people say, I would never fit something that large and expensive in my pocket. If I want my iPad to be portable, I will be kind to it, treat it with respect, and carry it in a case when going from place to place.

I simply wouldn't be satisfied with a smaller screen.

iPad Mini: A5X
iPad 4: A6X With Quad-Core Graphics

"But it's easier to type on!"
-Undocking and splitting the keyboard on the iPad 4 gives you a perfectly-played hand-friendly keyboard.

"But it's more heavy."
It doesn't feel too heavy to me.

"But the mini is so much more portable."
Steve Jobs: "The seven-inch tablets are tweeners, too big to compete with a smartphone and too small to compete with an iPad."
The iPod Touch is more portable than an iPad Mini, too.

I am sorry your parents bought you an iPad Mini for Christmas and you're trying to psychologically justify it.

No contest.

JTyler82

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2011
iPad 4 IMO.

If I wanted something portable, I'd just get an iPod touch. Contrary to what people say, I would never fit something that large and expensive in my pocket. If I want my iPad to be portable, I will be kind to it, treat it with respect, and carry it in a case when going from place to place.

-Undocking and splitting the keyboard on the iPad 4 gives you a perfectly-played hand-friendly keyboard.

"But it's more heavy."

Steve Jobs: "The seven-inch tablets are tweeners, too big to compete with a smartphone and too small to compete with an iPad."

I am sorry your parents bought you an iPad Mini for Christmas and you're trying to psychologically justify it.

No contest.

You forgot retina display

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
The mini is fine.

I have both at the moment (i get to evaluate this stuff for work, free :D) and have found myself using the mini more often. It is MUCH lighter to carry around, and lighter to hold when reading in bed, etc.

If you want to do any form of content editing or gaming though, the iPad 4 is probably better.

The screen on the mini isn't quite so bright or crisp, but it is more than good enough. If you plan on using it outside though, the 4's screen can go much brighter.

----------

iPad 4 IMO.

If I wanted something portable, I'd just get an iPod touch.

Have you actually used one? It's not just portability, it's like HALF the weight to hold while using it, too.

Typing is marginally worse, but typing is crap on both devices anyway.

Steve was not infallible, and was wrong on this form factor. It's not 7" anyway, its nearer 8 and not wide-screen, so has better usable screen area than a 7"...

Northwestern

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
My final decision: I went again in the electronic store of my small town yesterday and opened in Safari my most viewed sites. I had problems reading them on the iPad mini without zooming and some sites were to big for the iPad mini. I didn't had any problems reading without zooming on the iPad 4 and with my big strong hands, I also have no problems holding the iPad 4 in one hand and I am used to it with my parents iPad 2.

Therefore, I'll go with the iPad 4 Cellular. I got some good offers for the 32GB and the 64GB refurbished version from an electronic store in my country.

Although most of you chose the iPad mini. My decision is made. Thank you very much for all your helpful posts! :)

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
My final decision: I went again in the electronic store of my small town yesterday and opened in Safari my most viewed sites. I had problems reading them on the iPad mini without zooming and some sites were to big for the iPad mini. I didn't had any problems reading without zooming on the iPad 4 and with my big strong hands, I also have no problems holding the iPad 4 in one hand and I am used to it with my parents iPad 2.

Therefore, I'll go with the iPad 4 Cellular. I got some good offers for the 32GB and the 64GB refurbished version from an electronic store in my country.

Although most of you chose the iPad mini. Thank you very much for all your helpful posts! :)

Sounds like you took advice from the most qualified person: yourself. Wile all the opinions are valid, its always best to get your own paws on each and see which feels best for your needs and use.

Well done - i am sure you will love it :)

bigboar

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2012
Ohio

Although most of you chose the iPad mini. My decision is made. Thank you very much for all your helpful posts! :)

I had the same issues you experienced and returned my mini for the 4..you will love the 4, the display is amazing....

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
... It is MUCH lighter to carry around, and lighter to hold when reading in bed, etc.

When reading in bed I either have my knees up and lean the iPad against them or I rest the bottom on my chest while reading. I also find that the smartcover, when folded in a triangle, makes holding the full ipad a cinch.

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
The Digital Frontier
I would say it depends on your travel, if its long duration airplane flight, you might want a bigger size (storage) so that you can store more, but if you are travelling by subway or train, either wouldn't really matter since you are on cellular regardless. Although a smaller iPad is harder for someone to knock it out of your hand and onto the floor.

bingeciren

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
I have had the iPad3 since last March. Last month I bought a mini to play with it. Since then, the iPad3 has been left in a drawer and never got used once. Compared to the mini, iPad3 (or 4) feels like a truck. I will never go back to the full size iPad again, unless the new iPad 5 is lighter by a significant margin. I can hold the mini in one hand and never get tired. Holding the iPad3 or 4 with one hand for extended periods is no way as comfortable as the mini. Once the retina mini is out, the choice will be even more clear cut between the full size iPad and the mini.

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
When reading in bed I either have my knees up and lean the iPad against them or I rest the bottom on my chest while reading. I also find that the smartcover, when folded in a triangle, makes holding the full ipad a cinch.

Yeah, i'm familar with how to use an iPad 4, i have one as well :D

If you rest the bottom edge of the ipad 4 on your chest, it digs in.

Seriously, if you haven't tried a mini in person, it's worth it.

The weight is just so much more convenient and the screen isn't a huge amount smaller.

The full size iPad design (in terms of weight and dimensions) is quite old now (other than minor tweaks) and it shows. I'd be quite happy with the iPad 5 if it was the same speed as the 4, just thinner and lighter.

I was extremely skeptical regarding the mini prior to trying one myself. As a portable tablet doing tablet type things it is awesome, it doesn't matter that the screen is not retina.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
If you rest the bottom edge of the ipad 4 on your chest, it digs in...

So not only are your arms weak, but your skin is really delicate? I guess not needing a bag for you Mini is a relief because the strap would sever your arm.

Going outside must be scary. ;)

Last edited:

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
So not only are your arms weak, but your skin is really delicate? I guess not needing a bag for you Mini is a relief because the strap would sever your arm.

Going outside must be scary. ;)

No, I'm saying that the benefits of the iPad 4 do not justify the weight.

Again, have you actually USED both devices? And by that, I mean having lived with both for a significant period of time, rather than picking one up in the apple store?

I have both and the mini gets a lot more use.

Yes I CAN lug the 4 around. Just like I can and do from time to time lug my 15" MBP.

I'm saying that for most of what you use a tablet for, the mini is MORE CONVENIENT. Note: in case you still don't understand, this means that yes I could quite happily use the iPad 4 - IF i did not have the mini available. But given that I DO have both available, using the one that is less convenient would be stupid.

Given the choice between lugging something half the weight that does the same job, or not, i'll take half weight thanks.

Last edited:

teknikal90

macrumors 68040
Jan 28, 2008
Vancouver, BC
iPad 4 IMO.

"But it's more heavy."

No contest.

I have both and I have to say the mini is much nicer to use for reading. Yeah the screen isn't as good but the form factor of the mini (can hold with one hand, vs the big iPad needing two hands) the lightness (can again, hold with one hand easily, with a drink on the other hand) and the portability (I can fit the mini on the small front compartment of my bag, where id normally put a book in. The iPad 4 however, can only fit in the laptop compartment.) are all ups that beat out the benefit of a nicer screen for me.
The faster processor isn't necessary to read Bloomberg, flipboard and Reuters..
Mini is better I say. Especially since you already have such a portable notebook should you ever need to browse with a bigger screen.

Edit: since you're getting a cellular version, you should keep in mind that its much more convenient to carry around a 7 inch wifi hotspot than a 10 inch one with also double the weight. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.