Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NEXT IPHONE NEEDS COMPLETE REDESIGN

• AGREE

Votes: 144 47.1%
  • DISAGREE

Votes: 162 52.9%

• Total voters

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
No thanks the iPhone5 has a great design and everyone on a 2 year contract should get the chance to have it. A lot of 4S users are waiting for the 5S and love the design of the 5.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I like the 5.

I'd say a radical departure would be a iPhone ( or iPad, iPod ) with a scratch resistance textured polycarbonate back and sides instead of metal or glass that dents or breaks. In several colors too.
Then most of us would use the phone naked and not have a dozen ill fitted cases ( that we feel guilty using). And I don't mean something like the 3 or 3G case. That was fragile.

At least as an option.

Last edited:

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
I'd like to see the unreliable home button taken away and replaced with something better :)

Yes like say a screen that doesn't need a backlight to be usable and really low power touch sensor panel on the screen. Delete reason for the home button.

Not needed but sure would be nice.

Ste Nova

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2012
LL22, UK
you mean something like this...?
attachment.php

Porsche_wallpapers_193.jpg

why fix something thats not broken........

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
The smartphone is basically a portable touch screen. There is only so much you could/should do with the design.

If anything, they should update the IOS.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
The could add some more features to iOS but as far as phone design goes the iPhone 5 is excellent. Probably the best looking smartphone on the market.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
just change the bloody boring crap of an os..yes, it's too cool and simple but take away a bit of simplicity and give me features as many as possible..In hardware, everything seems good except anti-scuff material would be a nice upgrade for my 800$ phone:rolleyes:

I think Apple runs the very real risk of alienating those core users who have always bought iPhones, and haven't really considered anything else.

Think about this: The Mac OS is FAR more feature-rich than iOS (by design), but which sells better by an order of magnitude? iOS, the less-feature-rich of the two.

Why? How much of the attraction TO the iPhone IS that simplicity that some seem to decry? Are iPhone owners SO in love with the hardware that they are willing to give the simplicity in iOS a pass? If so, WHAT exactly are they in love with? (That's important to know from a product standpoint, so that you don't deviate so far from that formula that got you where you are).

Apple's traditionally been very good at knowing what kinds of problems they want to solve with hardware. They also listen to their customers, for the most part (hence the iPad Mini, even though it's eating into their full-size iPad margins).

Aug 5, 2012
And your response to point the finger at me while defending the guy that I call out for posting another one of these threads?

People like the OP do nothing but complain and have nothing to bring to the table in terms of solutions despite their living conditions. Consider the last part of my comment to be irrelevant, that's fine with me. However, too many people do nothing but come to these forums and whine about products rather than offer a solution.

How about you come up with a better design yourself?

Did i make any comment about my thoughts on the current design?

No, i did not.

Think before you post please

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
So, you're personally bored with it.

----------

I've never had an issue with the home button. I've only seen one device with a bad one.

Not bored at all! I just feel it is cheesy for apple to just release the S model! I mean it was koo when the 3gs was out! Cuz it was way better than the 3g in term of speed. Look at the 3gs is still running strong on the latest ios 6.1 yet the 3g couldnt go that far. Anyways, like i said i buy new iphone every year, but it doesnt to change it instead of the S version.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Not bored at all! I just feel it is cheesy for apple to just release the S model! I mean it was koo when the 3gs was out! Cuz it was way better than the 3g in term of speed. Look at the 3gs is still running strong on the latest ios 6.1 yet the 3g couldnt go that far. Anyways, like i said i buy new iphone every year, but it doesnt to change it instead of the S version.

So, the new CPU in the next iPhone hasn't been announced. How are you so sure that it will disappoint in terms of speed and capability?

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
So, the new CPU in the next iPhone hasn't been announced. How are you so sure that it will disappoint in terms of speed and capability?

I never say it would be a disappointment in speed and capacity! Even tho it will be much faster than the current iphone. However, i dont think i would be able to notice it everyday web, email, etc... Use! Look at the ipad 3 compare to the ipad 4 there is a huge different in benchmark yet it still feel the same to my everyday use. On the other hand from an iphone 3g to a 3gs i could tell the very big different especially 3g running on its latest firmware and 3gs running ios 6.1 and it still as strong as i first got my 3gs amirite!

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
I never say it would be a disappointment in speed and capacity! Even tho it will be much faster than the current iphone. However, i dont think i would be able to notice it everyday web, email, etc... Use! Look at the ipad 3 compare to the ipad 4 there is a huge different in benchmark yet it still feel the same to my everyday use. On the other hand from an iphone 3g to a 3gs i could tell the very big different especially 3g running on its latest firmware and 3gs running ios 6.1 and it still as strong as i first got my 3gs amirite!

Maybe you're just burnt out on iPhones, after buying a new one every year?

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
To many moaners, go & buy android if you don't like Iphone's :rolleyes: I have liked all my iphone's including the 5, i like the way it looks & like using the OS.

This is logic I will never understand. Just because YOU like it doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
So, you're personally bored with it.

----------

I've never had an issue with the home button. I've only seen one device with a bad one.

Then you're exceptionally lucky, as are anyone you know with an iPhone.

Firstly, my iPhone 5 home button performs perfectly so the problem may have been resolved.

However, previous iPhones, eesh! I went through 3 iPhone 4's, all replaced no fuss/no begging/no shouting under warranty at the Apple Store. My third developed same fault out of warranty, so I jailbroke purely for Zephyr. I don't treat my phone poorly, I've never damaged any of the three different model iPhones I've had (3G, 4, now jailbroken 5 \o/ ). Via work and friends I know maybe 20 with iPhone 4's or 4S's and it's no exaggeration to say over half complain about the home button and have to have them fixed, replaced, jailbroken or live with it via bunging that ugly accessibility home button on the screen.

So, err, yeah, I think the problem is/was definitely real.

Again, I stress I've had zero problems with my 5's home button, and doubt I ever will now I have Zephyr on there. Much more intuitive than double pressing, and quicker.

As for a redesign, meh. Happy with the 5 but ideally I'd just like a larger screen, maybe 4.5"-4.7". But higher res though, not like that Gruber endorsed mockup (linked below) that just makes text and icons bigger. I see little point in that, I want more screen real estate, not bigger fonts and icons - I like iOS but bigger fonts/icons will look even more toytown on a phone.

http://www.imore.com/more-5-inch-iphone

Edit: and exactly what Premium1 says below, that x million.

Last edited:

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
The next iPhone needs to have a complete redesign to bring new life in. Look hasn't never changed since

I think if anything the OS is what needs the overhaul. The iphone 5 is a nice looking device, the software is what really holds it back. Come on apple revamp IOS and let the power under the hood really show what it can do.

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
When the iPhone 5 was launched, I remember a promo video featuring Ive, and he said something like "it was tempting to completely redesign the iPhone, but people have certain expectations for what iPhone should look like and feel like, and we want to respect that and don't want to throw a jarring new experience at them" (paraphrasing, obviously).

Look at every other Apple product line. Gradual evolution, not revolution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.