Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kalhawari

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
I use to have an iPad 2 32 GB WIFI.

I then upgraded to iPad 3 32GB WIFI mainly for retina and better performance.

I'm a student at university, I use to always get the latest and greatest in technology and sell and buy and spend as little as possible... I think I am toning it down and i want to know if its worth selling the iPad 3 for an iPad 5. I have an iPhone 5 and I wish I has all lightning devices but not a big deal. I'm just upset apple released a wave of devices that I know I don't need but just make me feel like I don't have something new although its only less than a year old.

How often do you replace your ios devices? What's a good time frame ? How much would mine sell for ?i use it mainly as my travel apple device as my MacBook stays at home mainly now. I'm content with my iPad 3 I can say that for sure, and it is still supported. Would a good time frame to replace them is when apple stops supporting my devices? The whole point of apple is that you buy a product that lasts, when it dies you get a new one.

Anyway, let me know ! Thanks .... First time writing on this blog site. Thanks for the support guys.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
Honestly, I don't really see the need to upgrade if you're iPad 3 is fully functioning. I use to be the same way as you are and that's having the latest and greatest. I'm at the point now where just give me what works and I'm good with that. You're not going to get much for your 3 anyhow at this point and time. I've found Apple products to be pretty solid over the years. I've yet to experience any real issues.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
The only difference in the iPad 3 vs the iPad 4 is the front facing camera at 1.2MP, Dual core 1.5Ghz compared to the dual core 1Ghz and 126 GB of storage.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The only difference in the iPad 3 vs the iPad 4 is the front facing camera at 1.2MP, Dual core 1.5Ghz compared to the dual core 1Ghz and 126 GB of storage.

And dual band wifi
And the A6X is significantly faster than the previous chip
And the LTE chip is supported by more carriers around the world.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
If you're looking to travel with it and save money have you considered the iPad Mini?

I upgraded from the 3 to the Mini and I haven't looked back.

Just a thought.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010

I'm a student at university, I use to always get the latest and greatest in technology and sell and buy and spend as little as possible... I think I am toning it down and i want to know if its worth selling the iPad 3 for an iPad 5. I have an iPhone 5 and I wish I has all lightning devices but not a big deal. I'm just upset apple released a wave of devices that I know I don't need but just make me feel like I don't have something new although its only less than a year old.

How often do you replace your ios devices? What's a good time frame ? How much would mine sell for ?i use it mainly as my travel apple device as my MacBook stays at home mainly now. I'm content with my iPad 3 I can say that for sure, and it is still supported. Would a good time frame to replace them is when apple stops supporting my devices? The whole point of apple is that you buy a product that lasts, when it dies you get a new one.

Anyway, let me know ! Thanks .... First time writing on this blog site. Thanks for the support guys.

Upgrade based on your needs, not to get the feeling of having the latest iPad. I skipped the 4 as I had just bought my 3 back in July last year. Felt a bit dissapointed knowing had I waited I could have an iPad 4 with the same connector as my iPhone 5 which I upgraded with three more lightning cables when I bough it and the iPad 4 had yet to be announced.

Anywho, I figured I would keep the 3 and get the 5 when the time comes, but decided in the short term, I could put those new lightning cables to good use and just sell my 3 outright at about a $125 loss and get an iPad Mini. My main reason (no not just the lightning cable) is that I wanted something smaller than the 3 (ie. even a bit more portable) and still have a great iPad experience (hence...a need). I don't regret selling my 3 after owning it just for 6/7 months. I enjoy the iPad mini and will probably keep it after the 5 comes out, may even buy a 5, but who knows now.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
The time to upgrade is when performance takes a hit or you are experiencing hardware gremlins. If none of the above applies to you then I would stay with the iPad 3.

Let's suppose you unloaded your iPad 3 for the latest and greatest and now you find issues with your new purchase. It might make you regret the upgrade. I have an iPad 2 (refurbed from Apple) and an iPad 3, both work great. There's really no need for me to upgrade unless I fall in love with the new design....which I probably will.

In any case disregard my subliminal message...cough cough. :D

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
IPad 2 supports dual band wifi.

Weird. I thought the new, faster WiFi was new to the 4.

This is on the website:

Advanced Wi‑Fi technology. Built in.

The new Wi‑Fi capabilities built into iPad keep you connected faster than ever — up to twice as fast as any previous-generation iPad. With dual-band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) 802.11n Wi‑Fi and support for channel bonding, download speeds can reach up to 150 Mbps.6 Translation: Many of the things you do every day may start to feel a whole lot faster.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Although I'm happy with my iPad 4, it's heavy & cumbersome. Something that's rumored to change with the upcoming new model. Given that its also supposed to be a bit narrower & shorter, the reduction in bulk will be well worth waiting for.

If they make the form factor like my iPad mini, with its flat back, that will equal much better ergonomics. Something that's poor on the current model.

I'd highly suggest that people wait for iPad 5, or whatever Apple decides to name this upcoming model. It will be well worth it.

SgtBullmoose

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2012

This is on the website:

The new Wi‑Fi capabilities built into iPad keep you connected faster than ever — up to twice as fast as any previous-generation iPad. With dual-band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) 802.11n Wi‑Fi and support for channel bonding, download speeds can reach up to 150 Mbps.6 Translation: Many of the things you do every day may start to feel a whole lot faster.

Under the comparison page, you'll find that the only difference in the network section is that the iPad 4, like the 3rd, has Bluetooth 4

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008

This is on the website:

Certainly a silent update to the current line because I know that the iPad 2 or 3 didn't originally come with dual band...in fact that was one of the selling points amazon tried to make against the iPad with the Kindle HD.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Under the comparison page, you'll find that the only difference in the network section is that the iPad 4, like the 3rd, has Bluetooth 4

True, but the iPhone 5, ipad4 and Mini use a new Wifi controller chip that's supposed to provide significantly faster wifi speeds. Anandtech mentioned it but they didn't show the iPad 3 in their comparison chart.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006

This is such a First World problem! LOL

That said, don't upgrade until the iPad you have cannot run apps you want to run.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
If you are financing your education with loans, then you can't afford to chase after new apple products with every release. Not only is the iPad 3 adequate now, it will remain so even after the iPad 5 is released and most likely even beyond that.

Kalhawari

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
Lol thanks guys :) it's good to know that the Mac community is full of people wh o knowledgable and participate in friendly trolling.

I will just wait for the 6th ipad or whatever and the iphone 8 or whatever the hell it will be called then. I'm pretty content with what I have now and though I do not have any student loans, I want to save up for greater things later on.

Cheers, and see y'all starside

Kalhawari

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
i guess i will wait for Broadwell! because it seems that to get the current 15 inch retina 16gb of ram at 3.3 ghz overclock with 512gb of ssd will cost me 3300

assuming that i cant ssell my mac for more than 600, that's 2700 that i have to shell out for the mac.

this is with the education pricing, apple care, and taxes, lets say i take out apple care, its still about 3000 meaning 2400.

i am hoping that prices will drop over time especially with apple suffering and technology getting smaller and smaller and more efficient,, and in the solid state drive's case, more standard, prices should drop. i will wait i guess! ...thanks ! new battery it is ! so far i spent only 200 after i buy the new battery it would mean. good savings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.