Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Seems like they've updated their page to announce that they are now shooting for a Q1 2013 release.
Yeah, really (click to enlarge):

Attachments

• belk.png
    belk.png
    109 KB · Views: 350

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Is this some clandestine deal with Apple???

Belkin promise to not release the dock until Apple have got their act together and put USB3 ports on all their desktops?

I cannot for the life of me figure out how or why it can take a company like Belkin over a year to manufacture a USB3 dock?

This product was first shown in September 2011.

There's something very fishy going on here.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Still available on Amazon.co.uk for preorder - October 9 2012

This is a real mess.

chapinbk

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
Price-point war

Seems that Apple is waiting on a lower price-point for TB, or just wants the peripheral royalties on its investment. They release a whole line of premium TB-enabled laptop computer products, which meet basic needs (even for power-users, with 2 TB ports, 1 USB 3 on the MBP Retina). Sure, Apple isn't selling a stand-alone dock, but the promise is there anyway, with their reputation for quality squarely behind it. Apple refuses to roll out a dock until their cash-strapped competitors do first, so they can release a less expensive alternative. As lovable as the niche market that they satisfy may be, companies like Belkin and Matrox are parasitic. As a megalith, Apple has strategic advantage, regardless of how long it must wait.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
rMBP has two USB 3 ports. There are no royalties on selling tb peripherals; only the cost of buying the controller chips.

chapinbk

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
I meant "royalties" in the non-legal sense of the word. More like a premium, or a bonus, on investment.

You know what, as I sit here now, feeling a bit put off by the dock release pushback, I'm beginning to think maybe I don't need one at all. I own a new rMBP, and have my numerous peripherals/monitors hooked up to it, purring away as I type. Maybe the ports are more durable than I give them credit for. Perhaps all the plugging and un-plugging is irrelevant. Who needs a dock anyway? Elegance is overrated...

rMBP has two USB 3 ports. There are no royalties on selling tb peripherals; only the cost of buying the controller chips.

Last edited:

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I meant "royalties" in the non-legal sense of the word. More like a premium, or a bonus, on investment.

You know what, as I sit here now, feeling a bit put off by the dock release pushback, I'm beginning to think maybe I don't need one at all. I own a new rMBP, and have my numerous peripherals/monitors hooked up to it, purring away as I type. Maybe the ports are more durable than I give them credit for. Perhaps all the plugging and un-plugging is irrelevant. Who needs a dock anyway? Elegance is overrated...

I am waiting for this thing as well, because plugging and unplugging gets boring.

chapinbk

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
Apple 27" Thunderbolt Display hub issues

Has anyone spent some time reading the reviews for this product on Apple's website? Some fraction of those who've bought one, claim various stability issues w/ the USB/Firewire/Ethernet ports, when sleeping/waking, or connecting/disconnecting their new MacBooks. Anyone here reckon there is a genuine issue with it, or are those reviews just a byproduct of flagrant abuse of plug-and-play?

Why USB 2, not USB 3? Aren't Firewire users still collectively kicking themselves for adopting a less broadly adopted standard? Yes, I use firewire, but I anticipate weening myself from it in the coming years. Why would I buy a premium monitor w/ USB 2 & Firewire, instead of waiting for a USB 3 alternative?

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
I mainly want one of these for my iMac as it is my main computer for data usage, in and out.
I'm one that like to connect all my devices to my main machine and leave it alone, having the iMac wall mounted makes it more of a pain to keep having to reach around behind it to plug and unplug devices.

tanker5

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 19, 2011
Hoboken
...and now the dock completely disappears from Belkin's website...

So, I just went to Belkins site. It was just re-designed. I searched all over the site but could not find any mention of the tb dock anywhere. The only tb item they have is a 2 meter tb cable. If, by chance i missed it, please let me know.

chapinbk

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
Belkin v. Matrox hubs, considerations...

Well, now that the ship date on the Matrox DS1 is in fact imminent, we're faced with a challenge. Cost concerns aside, does the Matrox DS1 hub (assuming it performs as advertised) have enough of the right stuff, or are we gonna' wait until the first quarter of '13, for the ExpressDock.

I drew up this flow chart, to illustrate the ways in which I might use either one. All cables originate from the computer (rMBP), splitting to either the Belkin or Matrox device, depending on which I've got.

CONCERNS/NOTES
*I've had difficulties using my Apple SuperDrive (CD/DVD) on powered USB 2 hubs. For the Matrox DS1 scenario, I'm plugging it directly into one of the rMBP USB 3 ports. I'd be surprised if it works on a Matrox DS1 USB 2 port, and I need the Matrox's USB 3 for external audio equipment (Not going to be upgrading THAT to thunderbolt anytime soon. Same goes for my external HDD).
*Presently, I use an adapter for the rMBP's (hybrid?) 3.5mm audio-out port to a Toslink optical audio cable, which runs to my A/V receiver. I would be surprised if the audio out ports on EITHER of these two hubs supports digital, and so I might very well have to keep my direct rMBP-->A/V receiver hookup, despite the ones on the hub. I'll likely use the mic port on the hub, however.
*With the Belkin, My USB 3/Firewire external HDD is going to have a dedicated Firewire port. A nice advantage over my USB 2 solution, using the Matrox (of course I COULD plug it into the free USB 3 port on the rMBP, but I'm trying to make USE of the dock here :p )
*The thunderbolt passthrough port on the Belkin is irrelevant for this scenario, because I'm just going to use a TB-->DVI-D adapter to my external monitor (not a thunderbolt device), anyway. Nice perk though, if I were to buy a thunderbolt monitor. Not gonna' happen soon. Additionally, the rMBP sports a second TB port anyway, for future needs.

Upshot is, I'm having a whole lot of trouble justifying the wait, to buy the Belkin instead of the Matrox. And it's cheaper, too.

Attachments

• hubs_comparison.png
    hubs_comparison.png
    464.3 KB · Views: 197

PopInkLA

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2013
Belkin Thunderbolt Dock

I just got off the phone with Belkin...they still don't have an answer when the dock will be available. They said resellers would be the first to have them...so I'm looking for places to pre-order now...

JKColo22

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2009
Seems to me like you would get a much better bang for your buck with one these forthcoming horizontal hengedocks: http://hengedocks.com/order_horizontal_dock.php . 14 ports for $249. Although now that I'm writing this i'm a little unclear as to whether it is just splitting the thunderbolt port into 3 displayport ports. Hmmm...

h_hdock_backangle.jpg

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Seems to me like you would get a much better bang for your buck with one these forthcoming horizontal hengedocks

That does look like a nice dock, but given the total absence of the word "Thunderbolt" in the press release, it has to only support Mini Displayport. I have to admit it also reeks of vaporware, same as the other docks.

JKColo22

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2009
That does look like a nice dock, but given the total absence of the word "Thunderbolt" in the press release, it has to only support Mini Displayport. I have to admit it also reeks of vaporware, same as the other docks.

Just realized that if you click on the pre-order/notification option there is a thunderbolt option for $349. If it actually sees the light of day, it is an incredible value compared to other promised vaporware. Don't get your hopes up too high. Available: Q4 2013. Ridiculous. Could end up being a generation behind a new MBP and not fit.

chapinbk

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
Henge Docks looks like a cool company. I bet their mini display and thunderbolt variants will be good performers. 2 reasons I won't buy one; It's massive (though stylish enough I suppose), and I'd like to use some of the other MacBook Pro Retina ports while its "docked". The MBPr built in HDMI port is a really solid performer, and would be nice not to have to feed that signal through the dock. Then again, this thunderbolt hub may in fact work as seamlessly as is hoped, in which case HDMI port access really doesn't matter; Will just use an adapter. I'm a bit of an audiophile, and use the digital optical audio signal from the MBPr's 1/8" audio out port, instead of the analog. It's a nice feature that Henge offers two switchable audio outs on the dock, but I sincerely doubt they incorporate an optical jack, as the MBPr's does. EDIT: Also important to note that Apple's optional external CD/DVD SuperDrive uses proprietary controller hardware to prevent it from being used with other computers (don't ask). As a consequence, it must be plugged directly into a MacBook Pro/Air USB port to function properly. This is a well documented "flaw", and cannot be circumvented without using a different brand or rebuilding the SuperDrive.

Despite the thoughtful incorporation of SIX whole USB ports, and the other requisite ports too, I still like the Belkin ExpressDock option better. I'd like to place the dock on a shelf in my cabinet anyway, not on my desk -- the Henge is just too massive. Undeniable necessity if you really have 3 external monitors though, not just one + an HDTV as in my case. Best of luck to Henge though, I bet there's enough of a professional mobile niche market to satisfy demand for it.

Last edited:

chapinbk

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
Too bad there is nothing available right now,.. the henge dock looks really cool! :D

I'll be quite frank. My decision to buy a new MacBook Pro Retina on release was largely based on the scheduled release of the Belkin ExpressDock. Granted, this notebook computer works just fine as an independent unit, but the ExpressDock is part of MY equation. I'm subscribed to their release-date mailing list. They should get this thing out the door, "and fast" :eek:

dma550

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
CT
I'm all over that henge dock when it comes out. I need my MBP lifted as well as I have it on a NZT cryo LX now to match up with my two screens.

Joseph Farrugia

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2011
Malta (EU)
I wonder what has taken Belkin so long to bring the dock to the market; he inclusion of USB 2.0 when USB3 was already shipping did not help much; but that should not have caused such a delay, should it?

aloshka

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2009
Seems to me like you would get a much better bang for your buck with one these forthcoming horizontal hengedocks: http://hengedocks.com/order_horizontal_dock.php . 14 ports for $249. Although now that I'm writing this i'm a little unclear as to whether it is just splitting the thunderbolt port into 3 displayport ports. Hmmm...

That looks unbelievably sweet, except I don't like the idea of it being a real dock (ie the ports are predefined). I mean if there were adapters you could use that would be ideal. But the thing becomes worthless when you upgrade your macbook pro (ie apple changes the layout). Although it's possible apple won't change the layout for a very long time, but still..

Otherwise I Can't wait. Although q3 is a long long ways away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.