Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Wirelessly posted

Don't agree with the 2-1 Fulham LB, but hey. Re not losing points, have a look at the run in.

I thought Fulham's performance merited a draw, but Man Utd fought the whole match to the end, as they always do, and it paid off for them, as it usually does.

I actually thought Skrtel was mostly to blame for the goal at first, but looking at the replay I just had to hang my head at Reina...running out to do a one-on-one with Aguero is madness - though to be fair few players would be able to produce a shot like his equalizer.

I didn't see De Gea anywhere in the replay, but I'm sure he had a hand in it. ;)

One good game of eggball already - Italy beat France - hope the American game is a classic.

As a Cleveland Browns fan, I can't stomach watching Baltimore playing in a Superbowl...I'm heading out on a long winter hike. :eek:

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings
Wirelessly posted

Lord Blackadder,

Agree re the draw.

Eggball - SF also taking a hike. (HT)

Edit - the film MASH is on, SF need to employ the tactics used by Trapper John and co.

Edit 2 - pulling the plug nearly worked.

Cheers,
OW

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
Match-fixing:

This has become a very worrying trend in the past few years.

4 February 2013

Match-fixing: Champions League tie played in England 'was fixed'
A Champions League tie played in England is one of 680 matches across the world investigators say was fixed.
European police did not reveal the identity of the match they believe was corrupt in England.
But Europol did say that they had uncovered an organised crime syndicate based in Asia that was co-ordinating the operation.
Europol's investigation
Inquiry started 18 months ago.

Initially involved Germany, Finland and Hungary, before being extended to Slovenia and Austria.

Ended up looking at 680 matches in 30 countries.

13,000 emails were analysed.

A total of 425 suspects were identified.

50 people have been arrested.

80 search warrants obtained.

A number of criminal investigations now taking place.

Some 425 match officials, club officials, players and criminals are suspected of being involved.
At a news conference in The Hague, Netherlands, Europol claimed:
The fixed Champions League tie in England took place in the "last three or four years";
The identity of that match cannot be revealed due to "ongoing judicial proceedings";
Other "corrupt" matches included World Cup and European Championship qualifiers and "several top football matches in European leagues";
In Germany-based matches alone, criminals wagered £13.8m (16m euros) on rigged matches and made £6.9m in profits. Officials fear this is as the "tip of the iceberg";
In total 380 suspicious matches were in Europe and a further 300 in Africa, Asia and south and central America.
Rob Wainwright, director of Europol - the European Union's law enforcement agency, said:"This is the work of a suspected organised crime syndicate based in Asia and operated with criminal networks around Europe.
"It is clear to us this is the biggest-ever investigation into suspected match-fixing in Europe. It has yielded major results which we think have uncovered a big problem for the integrity of football in Europe.
"We have uncovered an extensive criminal network."
Europol, which has been investigating for 18 months, said suspected matches included World Cup and European Championship qualifiers, two Champions League ties and "several top football matches in European leagues".
Analysis

Gordon Farquhar
BBC sports news correspondent
"These gambling rings are basically having to bribe people to play badly or to fix results and then they are wagering large amounts of money, often in Asia, on the outcome of games knowing that they can cheat the bookmakers because they have inside information.

"It's easy to imagine how you can fix something when it is one person against another. When it's two teams of 11 it is more difficult and presumably you need collusion from more than one person. Referees can give penalties and things can be ruled offside when they are not, but you would imagine they need several people to be sure."

In addition to the £13.8m wagered on Germany-based matches, payments of £1.73m are thought to have been paid to those involved.
Financial details were not given from the other countries said to be involved, except that the biggest payment to an individual was in Austria for a total of £121,000.
Europol believes a crime syndicate based in Singapore was liaising with criminal networks throughout Europe, adding that match-fixing has taken place in 15 countries and 50 people have so far been arrested.
In total, 30 countries and close to 700 matches worldwide were examined.
Many of the allegations involved matches in lower divisions around Europe.
German police described a global network involving couriers ferrying bribes of up to £86,000 per match around the world, paying off players and referees.
Most cases have been discovered in Germany where 14 people have been jailed for a total of 39 years.
Criminal convictions have also been secured in Finland, Hungary, Slovenia and Austria.
How 'matches were fixed'
Police say gang members around the world were tasked with maintaining contacts with corrupt players and officials. Laszlo Angeli, a Hungarian prosecutor, gave an example of how it worked: "The Hungarian member, who was immediately below the Singapore head, was in touch with Hungarian referees who could then attempt to swing matches at which they officiated around the world. Accomplices would then place bets on the internet or by phone with bookmakers in Asia, where bets that would be illegal in Europe were accepted."

Asked specifically about the allegations surrounding the Champions League tie held in England, Wainwright declined to identify the match because of "ongoing judicial proceedings".
However he did say it happened in the last three to four years, adding: "The focus has been on other countries, not the United Kingdom. However we were surprised by the scale generally of the criminal enterprise and just how widespread it was.
"It would be naive and complacent of those in the UK to think such a criminal conspiracy does not involve the English game and all the football in Europe."
A Uefa spokesman said they would co-operate with the investigation. He said: "We will be liaising with Europol in relation to any reports of match fixing in European competition."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21319807

Again there is no hard evidence that there has been match fixing in the Netherlands, but like the UK it would be very naive and complacent to believe that we the only clean league.

Last edited:

2020mike

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2012
in MLS news looks like my CHicago Fire and Blackadder's Columbus Crew finalized a deal. Crew gets Dominic Oduro and Fire get Dilly Duka. Kind of a surprising deal.

Update on this, it also looks like the Fire have also acquired Robbie Rogers rights as part of the deal. This means if Rogers comes back to MLS Chicago has first crack at him.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Update on this, it also looks like the Fire have also acquired Robbie Rogers rights as part of the deal. This means if Rogers comes back to MLS Chicago has first crack at him.

He was great in 2008, but I'm not convinced he's still worth the substantial salary he'd cost.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Such a shame what harm alcoholism can do. Hope Gascoigne can find a way outta there. Poor devil. :(

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
I almost forgot the Dutch national team has a new out shirt.
nederlands-elftal-uitshirt-13-14_-200x200_zps125e0c18.jpg

Worn with white shorts and socks.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Such a shame what harm alcoholism can do. Hope Gascoigne can find a way outta there. Poor devil. :(

He's now in the US apparently. It's all a rather sad story...he's still quite young too.

I almost forgot the Dutch national team has a new out shirt.

Worn with white shorts and socks.

So many nations have a red white and blue flag that it must be challenging to come up with a new design in those colors.

Wonder about Benitez not starting with Hamann, and Lehmann, no one is that loopy?

Fergie Time. I now blame Asian betting syndicates for this. ;)

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Lehmann, I can imagine why hating him is a sound idea as a Liverpool supporter, but why Hamann? Was his steady blinking a tad too suspicious? Could be..

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings
twietee,

Is the reply to me? If yes:

Wrong red and I don't hate Lehmann, just a joke wonder about what was behind the craziness.

Re Hamann, I thought Benitez was mad to leave him out of the starting eleven v AC Milan - again, a joke wonder why.

Cheers,
OW

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
twietee,

Is the reply to me? If yes:

Wrong red and I don't hate Lehmann, just a joke wonder about what was behind the craziness.

Re Hamann, I thought Benitez was mad to leave him out of the starting eleven v AC Milan - again, a joke wonder why.

Cheers,
OW

I see (I think, your posts sure are hard to decipher for me :eek:). Thx for clarification. Thought you were mad about Lehmann getting the red card in CL Final after three minutes or so. Cheers.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Liverpool are supposedly interested in Hatem Ben Arfa. He is a good player but I'd be pretty concerned about his age, asking price and injury prone-ness.

It might be worth a punt if we can do a swap with Newcastle by sending Carroll (remember him?) the other way.

oscillatewildly

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2007
23 Railway Cuttings
I see (I think, your posts sure are hard to decipher for me :eek:). Thx for clarification. Thought you were mad about Lehmann getting the red card in CL Final after three minutes or so. Cheers.

twietee,

No need for the :eek:, you're not alone; I tend to forget people aren't reading my mind and more is often more - mentioning AC Milan rather than just Hamann.

Lord Blackadder - Ben Arfa - even when fit, he seems to float in and out. With the Carroll connection, it will be a surprise if Cabaye and Krul aren't mentioned.

Cheers,
OW

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Nigerian Eagles 'soar' into the Cup Nations Final after putting Mali to the sword in a 4-1 victory.

Great to see Fabrice Muamba do the pundit role for ITV too.

EDIT: Starting to think the Burkina Faso vs Ghana match is fixed. Surely no referee can be that inept.

EDIT2: Justice served.

Last edited:

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Honduras 2-1 USA

Pressure on the US from the start of the hexagonal group as we pay for bad defending and lose 2-1 away to Honduras. Damn and blast.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
All we needed was the 1-1, and we almost did it. But the defense was sloppy. I don't like that Bocanegra was not playing, though I take Klinsmann's point that he might be too old for Brazil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.