Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 4, 2013
This is in a quiet room...

So I'm trying to understand (before I go insane) what people are saying that their iMac is "silent", or I've even seen people say "I can't hear it unless I put my ear to it"

As in you can't hear it at all??? I mean, I'm in a quiet bedroom and I do hear it a little bit. It's mostly air noise with a little hint of fan whirl (I mean a tiny bit) If I turn on a little Awesome 80's iTunes music at low volume, it drowns out the iMac idle sound. For it to have an i7 and 680mx graphics chip in it, I'm not sure I could build a PC with fans that is this quiet though...

I would call a Macbook Air that I use silent unless the fan starts to go up in rpm. But my iMac at 1200rpm makes some little bit of sound, but others don't...:confused:

Tbdbuckeyeitl

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2012
At idle in a quiet room I can hear my fan run. If I stick my head close I feel like I can hear my fans turn or a low level tick. So mine sounds almost exactly like yours. I hope that's normal.

shigzeo

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2005
Japan
I'm in a room with loud construction next door and I still hear it. It is much much quieter than my MBP 2007 though. My ears are also trained to hear noise as by profession I review earphones, headphones, headphone amps, etc. There is no such thing as a silent iMac. Quiet, sure, but silent? No.

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010
I can't hear mine when the room is totally quiet. I sit like 2 feet away from it. I hear the ever slight hum of my UPS instead.

fotomatt1

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2007
I think I'd only be able to hear mine if the room was completely silent. I cannot hear it over the refrigerator compressor which is in the next room....in other words it's in a very quiet room, and I cannot hear it. If there is any regular house noise, you won't hear anything. On my 2008 black MacBook, I heard the fan all the time. It was quite annoying. This machine is a dream!

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
I share my office with two guys on very noisy PCs. I cannot hear my iMac at all. Even if I place my ear to the screen, I only hear the loud PCs 12 feet away.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
This thread is pointless. The iMac 2012 is quiet, - not silent, - but quiet. Whether YOU can hear it is dependent on a variety of factors. I can hear mine if paying attention, but if there are other things going on in my house then I can't.

Brian Wilson

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2012
The i5, 8GB Memory, 3TB Fusion, no sound at all!! The i7,32GB,3TB Fusion I can hear the fan ever so quietly!

mjsurf

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012
In a quiet room the only noise I can hear is the airstream comming out of of the back of my iMac (fan speed 1200). If I turn on some music or my Lenovo thinkpad I cannot hear my iMac at all (27', i7, 8GB, 675, 3TB Fusion).

@ all the posters who stated, that their 2012 iMacs makes no noise: Is there no warm air comming out of the back of your iMacs?

Kelsmom18

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2012
North Carolina
My late 2012 iMac is silent. I cannot hear anything. The quietest machine I have ever owned. When I turn off the display and return a few hours later I have to try and remember if I have shut it down or merely turned off the display. :p

petece

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2010
If I put my head on it, I can hear it. If I am rendering 1080p video in Adobe Premiere, I can barely hear the fan tick up if I really focus on it. At all times though, my HVAC system is louder if I'm sitting a normal distance from the machine. The PS3 that sits 6 feet away is much louder.

My work Dell laptop is much louder. The 27" iMac is the quietest machine I have ever owned.

dearlaserworks

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2012
Eastern Shore, USA
These are so quiet, it's a question of environment, hearing, placement, etc. I can hear the fans, but my office is very quiet. If the external backup drive wakes up, it's louder than the iMac. Launch iTunes or Spotify and you'll forget all about it. :)

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
Nope gonna say I still can't hear it. I move my desk the other day and 'put my ear' to the back of it ;) but hey then was the only time I could hear it. Maybe I'm just slightly deaf? I don't know but all I'm saying is I can't hear MY iMac at all under normal / idle use. Even when using music tools or video work, still don't really think I can hear it then.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Mine is pretty silent. I have to struggle to hear it. However isn't everybody's hearing ability different so I'm not sure what this thread is going to prove. As far as I'm concerned mine is great as I can't hear it. If you sat here maybe you would think different.

New2012MacForMe

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2012
My late 2012 iMac is in a very quite room. I can't hear it whether it's idle or in use. It is by far the quietest computer I have ever owned. If I put my ear right up to the back of it, I can hear a very slight fan noise - but I literally have to place my ear right on the back of the unit. The unit is up against a wall as well on a desk, so if there were any sound it would definitely reflect right back at me.

chrishe

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
london
fan noise

this is my second 27 inch iMac.the first had fan noise and then it would not boot up one morning after 2 weeks old.sent it back just got another and fan noise the same.you can hear it ,it is loader than my 2009 imac for sure.it does annoy me as i can here it when i am working .think it is the very thin case which is the problem..they dont make um like they used to :mad:

kidwei

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007
I can definitely hear my i5 27" iMac but it's very quiet. It's a very quiet whir, mainly airflow, not much fan noise. As others have said on this thread, it really depends on if there is other ambient noise in the room. It's unrealistic to expect the computer to be dead silent, as cooling is definitely necessary under any computing load. And if I have any external drives connected or sound coming out of the computer, I can't hear it at all. I wouldn't worry too much about it, honestly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.