Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
Apple has been adding antennas to every gen iPhone, and they need to add something to the next iPhone other than NFC.

The rumor was that NFC was not added to the iPhone 5 because it's antenna would have changed the device's sleek design.

So if they're adding NFC to one of the next generations of iPhones, perhaps an FM antenna will be even less likely.

chago04

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
Seems to me this would cut a chunk out of Shazam. Why would I need that if I can listen to the radio and tag and buy the song all in the same place?

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Some of the more persistent iPhone 5S rumors, indicate a rather minor upgrade this time around. An improved camera, and now a radio. Two features that will have universal appeal to seniors. One of Apples more loyal group of customers. While it's nothing that I find appealing, I'm simply not old enough to find those compelling additions.

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
This is what I really want, but apple isn't going to do it just so it isn't competition for their Internet one :(

You mean the internet radio they haven't actually had for the past 12 years they have been selling iPods?

Why didn't they place radios in their ipods/iphones before then (other than in 1 notable exception)?

Instead of coming up with ridiculous conspiracies, why wouldnt people accept the simple answer, which is that (a) it takes up room (b) adds cost (c) terrestrial radio is barely used outside of your car, and almost every car already has a radio in it.

Yelmurc

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2008
Houston TX
Although, knowing Apple this will be a paid service, unlike all the ad-supported competitors out there like Pandora and Spotify.

I've always wondered why Apple hasn't really put in much effort into iAds. I figured between Podcast, TV, Movies, Radio. They could really build something and help the content owners monetize there content.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
The icon is so enlarged that it becomes pixelated, and then resampled so that it becomes blurred on top of that. I find it hard to tell anything about its aesthetics. ;) Also, it might be a placeholder icon.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
I don't think cost or antenna is the problem, remember zune has radio but with a much smaller body and without antenna. And for the function, I think FM radio is really useful, it can let you know what happens around you, the ads you may want, traffic, accident around you, radio is not all about music.

Actually the Zune definitely had an antenna, more than one of them. I am not saying it isn't possible for Apple to fit an antenna, just that it is yet another cost during development that they have to consider. You don't just throw an antenna in these devices, every millimeter is carefully considered and requires a lot of effort to develop. Adding an FM antenna might be a small part that costs less than a penny, but it costs tons more to add it in.

EwanMcTeagle

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
Lodz, Poland
You mean the internet radio they haven't actually had for the past 12 years they have been selling iPods?

Why didn't they place radios in their ipods/iphones before then (other than in 1 notable exception)?

Instead of coming up with ridiculous conspiracies, why wouldnt people accept the simple answer, which is that (a) it takes up room (b) adds cost (c) terrestrial radio is barely used outside of your car, and almost every car already has a radio in it.

I don't know, maybe you're right, yet there are smartphones (like my girlfriend's HTC) that have FM radio - the antenna is in the headphones as I presume. And it could've been the same in iPhones. I wouldn't complain if I had radio on my iPhone. Then again the lack of it wasn't a deal-breaker for me, but it was and is for my girlfriend, who listens to FM radio a lot since she's traveling by train (no WiFi there) a lot.

philr5150

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2010
Omaha, NE
"...the name of these button files and are labelled with ‘buy’ in the filename which could imply exciting new functionality."

Yes, being able to buy something is always exciting.

----------

t (c) terrestrial radio is barely used outside of your car, and almost every car already has a radio in it.

That's almost a circular argument; if it existed on iPods / iPhones people who aren't in cars might use it (at work, on the bus, waiting in line for something etc).

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
I don't want Pandora radio.

I want REAL radio !!!

Why won't Apple place a radio receiver in these devices???

In case of emergency I would like to go to my iPad/iPod and be able to tune emergency radio stations for news. Chances are radio will be available in emergencies whereas the cell phone internet networks won't be.

Also I would love to be able to explore the world of shortwave.

Is Apple SO driven by profit that they are afraid that a radio will cut into their revenue stream? Say what you will, at least Microsoft built a radio into the Zune.

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
What would be totally cool would be the ability to access Sirius/XM radio direct from satellite on an iPhone without using a data plan. I would buy that in a heartbeat.

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
I'm surprised at the number of people who listen to FM still..

I use Pandora in my car through my iPhone for 90% of the in-car listening. The other 10% I'll listen to music actually on my phone. Never do I turn FM on.

marc7654

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2007
Indiana
Instead of some internet radio they could just stick a normal radio in them like every other smartphone in the world.

And it would be trivial to do a "Shazam" like recognition of the song being played over the air to let you buy it from iTunes. Maybe they would even incorporate a Radio DVR like option.

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I'm surprised at the number of people who listen to FM still..

I use Pandora in my car through my iPhone for 90% of the in-car listening. The other 10% I'll listen to music actually on my phone. Never do I turn FM on.

If there's a good radio station, it's nice to have a human DJ picking songs.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Anyway, even with "hidden" FM radios there isn't much reason for them to enable them without antennas to make them work. You can't have a radio work without an antenna, so the additional cost of that (not to mention the space it takes up) basically means it isn't really worth it. It always amazes me how people forget about this. I guess people are used to ignoring how things work because it's all hidden to the user.

Most smartphones and other PMP devices... including the iPod Nano... use the wire in your headphones as an FM antenna. No additional component needed.

panerista

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
I don't want Pandora radio.

I want REAL radio !!!

Why won't Apple place a radio receiver in these devices???
They probably don't think people will use it, so why add something people won't use?

In case of emergency I would like to go to my iPad/iPod and be able to tune emergency radio stations for news. Chances are radio will be available in emergencies whereas the cell phone internet networks won't be.

Do you have evidence to suggest "chances are"? You may be right, but modern cellular networks are more sophisticated and multi-layered (LTE, 3G, 2G) than FM/AM radio. You're not wrong, it would be nice to have both, but I don't think anyone is betting that we'll get absolutely no service.

Is Apple SO driven by profit that they are afraid that a radio will cut into their revenue stream? Say what you will, at least Microsoft built a radio into the Zune.

Definitely not. You can get almost all Top 40 radio stations without an actual radio through online streaming, you can get pandora radio through online streaming. Truth of the matter is, most radio is a dying breed. Outside of all-talk news and sports, SiriusXM talk stations (political, Howard Stern, Opie & Anthony), music streaming is destroying the radio industry.

Say what you will, at least Microsoft built a radio into the Zune.
Where can I get one of those?

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
internet radio has been on the Apple TV for years. I've always wondered why they didn't put it on the other iOS devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.