Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qlx

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2012
Hey all, thanks for the great tips. Do you know how to switch to offline mode without having to connect to the steam servers at all? I only want to play offline games, and steam wont connect to the servers on my current internet connection, and I don't have control over the router to be able to set the port permissions (which is what I think the problem is) because it's a shared internet connection.
I don't have my user information saved, do you know how i can manually save it? It works to just change offline to 1 to switch to offline mode, but it says i can't play games because user information is not stored. I've played all the games on this computer and on this account previously, just not on this internet connection, and I hadn't previously set up offline mode. I had told it to save my account information, but I don't think I unchecked the box about storing the information on my computer (and it seems to have forgotten my password in the process of some recent update *eyeroll*)

thanks!

pigeon7

macrumors newbie
Apr 1, 2012
I don't know whether you fixed this or not but I had the same problem and was able to fix it as follows:

1. Go to Users->%your_account%->Library->Application Support->Steam
  2. Open registry.vdf using a text editor like TextEdit
  3. This is basically the registry hive Steam uses in Windows. Go to the Registry->HKCU->Software->Valve->Steam->Offline key
  4. Change the value from "1" to "0".
  5. Save and close registry.vdf
  6. Start Steam. It should now update itself.

Remember to change Steam back to Offline mode if so required.

Hope this helps!

hey, once i go to application support, all that comes up ist adobe, steam doesn't come up at all, what do?
also you can email me at ericbaronster@gmail.com

Last edited:

JJmyster22

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2012
In Lion, the Library folder is hidden. You can access this folder by opening the finder, holding down the Option (Alt) key, and clicking on the Go menu. The Library directory will be shown under this menu for you to select.

Go menu?

----------

After a bit more thought about this I discovered that I had to reconfigure Finder to display hidden files and folders via Terminal. It was only then that the folder appeared in Lion.

A bit much was being "assumed" in earlier advices. Sorry - I'm a newb to Mac.

Please tell me how you reconfigured it, what commands did you use?

Joelycool

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2012
I have found the registry.vdf but when i click on it, it just says the same thing it does when I try to open steam "Steam needs to be online to update, but it was set to offline mode"

Someone please help me, I'm desperate.

muzzapt

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
I have found the registry.vdf but when i click on it, it just says the same thing it does when I try to open steam "Steam needs to be online to update, but it was set to offline mode"

Someone please help me, I'm desperate.

I also can get to register.vdf but it says the same thing did you find a solution?

XIVth

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2012
I also can get to register.vdf but it says the same thing did you find a solution?

You need to open the file with a .txt editor. Double clicking would just try to open the file. Right click and select a txt editor.

JGoings

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2012
Winnipeg MB
I don't know whether you fixed this or not but I had the same problem and was able to fix it as follows:

1. Go to Users->%your_account%->Library->Application Support->Steam
  2. Open registry.vdf using a text editor like TextEdit
  3. This is basically the registry hive Steam uses in Windows. Go to the Registry->HKCU->Software->Valve->Steam->Offline key
  4. Change the value from "1" to "0".
  5. Save and close registry.vdf
  6. Start Steam. It should now update itself.

Remember to change Steam back to Offline mode if so required.

Hope this helps!

Problem solved! Thanks for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.