Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
NOW this is my dream phone/tablet, meaning I can just carry one device. Folds out to a large seamless screen, when folded you can see there is what appears to be a 3rd screen which is the phone itself. This is one of the few designs which has me truly excited this year.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/samsung-galaxy-q-folding-display-phone-could-be-seen-at-mwc

Here is a video from 2008, I can't imagine how much they have perfected this in 5 years:
http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-galaxy-q-folding-smartphone-tipped-for-mwc-2013-04268025/

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
I saw these live at the Samsung keynote at CES this year so I gotta think its on its way. They had screen that wrapped around the device as well as what seemed like just a clear piece of bendable plastic that displayed a dynamic image.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
If there is any hint of a line down the middle then, for me, forget it.

Michael

I'd be OK with a seam, but not OK with an actual bezel or anything physical in between. I'd much rather a seam but be freed from carrying around a tablet or a phablet.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Looks similar to the more recent Samsung concept flex phones...

2013_samsung_flex.png

... seen in this recent Samsung video (which is also a parody of tech lovers, so don't take that part seriously) that I've posted here before. Be sure to click the little YouTube caption control box (left of the CC button) to turn off the annoying annotations.

Personally, I would pay anything for one of these phones / fold-out tablets. Take my money, please! :)

Last edited:

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Frankly, why would one want a foldable screen? I am not sure there is even a good case for a flexible screen. Sure, it's an interesting concept, but I would want to know (1) how a foldable screen would be protected from deterioration in materials due to flexure at the crease and (2) how the electronics would handle transients created by flexing the screen (anybody has listened to cable artifacts in audio systems knows what I am talking about).

I suspect that we'll see flexible screens that are permanently fixed to a curved surface, but I doubt we'll ever see a truly foldable screen.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Frankly, why would one want a foldable screen?

That part's easy: foldable lets a bigger screen be available in a smaller carrying package.

As for flexible, agreed, that's up in the air.

Edit: I just ran across this info on a news site: "If it’s the same technology Samsung showed off before, then it should be able to be bent 100,000 times before experiencing a 6 percent decrease in screen brightness – one that’s apparently too faint for the human eye to notice."

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Looks similar to the more recent Samsung concept flex phones...

View attachment 394815

... seen in this recent Samsung video (which is also a parody of tech lovers, so don't take that part seriously) that I've posted here before. Be sure to click the little YouTube caption control box (left of the CC button) to turn off the annoying annotations.

YouTube: video

Personally, I would pay anything for one of these phones / fold-out tablets. Take my money, please! :)

Sick! These will be game changers IMO. Currently we either have to carry a phablet around, or a tablet and a small phone. Something like this would consolidate both devices if done right.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
I wouldn't be all that excited about flexible screens to be honest. We used to have a somewhat flexible touchscreen already. They were on those old phones like the HTC Fuze. They were resistive screens, and they SUCKED! If they can make a flexible screen with the same responsiveness as a capacitive screen like on the iPhone, then go for it. But resistive screens blow.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I wouldn't be all that excited about flexible screens to be honest. We used to have a somewhat flexible touchscreen already. They were on those old phones like the HTC Fuze. They were resistive screens, and they SUCKED! If they can make a flexible screen with the same responsiveness as a capacitive screen like on the iPhone, then go for it. But resistive screens blow.
They'll never go back to resistive. Everyone hated them. I had one on my LG Dare and wouldn't go back for anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.