Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Raggsokk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
A norwegian IT-magazine recently reported that several norwegian carriers felt that Apple denied them to speak ill about the iPhone through the use of horrible contracts. This was felt with the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4s (and now maybe the i5) as some customers experience worse signal reception then on similar phones in Norway.

Three anonymous sources from three different norwegian carriers have agreed upon this. They said that Apple advised them against saying that the fault was with the iPhone, and thus forced the carriers to announce that the problem was on their side.

Apple reportedly did this by threats through contracts where the carriers should suspect "freezing" of iPhone supplies if the blame and negative press were to be put on hardware faults in the iPhone.

Due to insane iPhone demands, no carriers can afford to be on Apples low-priority list, nor can they afford to demand better contracts.

It's even suggested that this article alone will result with less iPhones being delivered to these (anonymous) carriers after the next release.

No other smartphone producing company comes even close to this kind of power.

Thoughts?

Sources:
http://www.dagensit.no/article2535229.ece

terroralpha

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
NYC
I don't really know the reason for that, but why are iPhones mostly working every where else except Norway? It's not like Apple is sending them a special batch. But I like I said, I dunno.

I'm on Verizon wireless. the only phones to ever drop calls on me were the iPhone 4s and iPhone 5. no other device ever dropped a call on me in the 11 years I've been with this carrier.

but it is what it is. you can't have everything. if you like the device than you just learn to deal with it.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I'm on Verizon wireless. the only phones to ever drop calls on me were the iPhone 4s and iPhone 5. no other device ever dropped a call on me in the 11 years I've been with this carrier.

but it is what it is. you can't have everything. if you like the device than you just learn to deal with it.

My VZW iPhone 4/4S/5 have never dropped a call. AT&T iPhone 4 dropped multiple calls daily. Everyone's carrier experience is a bit different depending on area and equipment. Strange that a whole (small) country would believe the iPhone 5 is defective when it seems to work well-enough everywhere else. I wonder if its a unique frequency band specific to Norway.

terroralpha

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2012
NYC
My VZW iPhone 4/4S/5 have never dropped a call. AT&T iPhone 4 dropped multiple calls daily. Everyone's carrier experience is a bit different depending on area and equipment. Strange that a whole (small) country would believe the iPhone 5 is defective when it seems to work well-enough everywhere else. I wonder if its a unique frequency band specific to Norway.

Well, my iPhones have. I live in NYC. Norway's 3G band, which are used for voice calls, works on the same bands as AT&T. As does most of the civilized world. But LTE bands are different.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
I had a 4S on Verizon for a year and had horrible 3G connections and dropped calls only while at home.

I finally cancelled the contract, sold the phone and bought a new 4S on AT&T last week. Best decision I ever made. I never should have left AT&T to begin with. I have excellent 3G speeds and never drop calls at home or anywhere I go.

It just comes to down to each individuals location.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Well, my iPhones have. I live in NYC. Norway's 3G band, which are used for voice calls, works on the same bands as AT&T. As does most of the civilized world. But LTE bands are different.

Actually, "most of the civilized world" including Norway uses 3G and GSM frequency bands that differ from AT&T and other US carriers. Norway uses 2100MHZ for 3G, while AT&T and most US carriers use 850 and 1900MHz.

That said, the frequency band shouldn't have a whole lot do with it, since "most of the civilized world" is using 2100MHz and the iPhone 5 appears to be operating fine in many other countries.

It could be hardware interactions causing issues. TeliaSonera (Norway's dominant phone network)has a mix of Ericsson and Huawei network gear.

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I had really bad call drops on the 4 and 4s with ATT and have had no issues with the 5 on ATT

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
A norwegian IT-magazine recently reported that several norwegian carriers felt that Apple denied them to speak ill about the iPhone through the use of horrible contracts. This was felt with the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4s (and now maybe the i5) as some customers experience worse signal reception then on similar phones in Norway.
Haven't read the article since the only thing Norwegian about me is my name. But if this is about the 4, that was well-documented and Apple acknowledged some fault and gave out some free bumpers over the issue. If it is about the 4s, that is a first.

Did these models get to Norway only recently, that this discussion is so late?

chakraj

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2008
So Cal
Apple has no power unless you give it to them, I spoke with my money last year and went with android.

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
Of course you'll have worse 3G performance on 2100 mhz band,well indoors you will.The lower frequencies have better in building performance then the higher frequencies.This may have something to do with it.

Raggsokk

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Haven't read the article since the only thing Norwegian about me is my name. But if this is about the 4, that was well-documented and Apple acknowledged some fault and gave out some free bumpers over the issue. If it is about the 4s, that is a first.

Did these models get to Norway only recently, that this discussion is so late?

It isn't the models that's late, but the anonymous sources. They had to wait until after the release of the i5 to release this info to the press.

Though it seems like nobody really gives a damn, however weird that appears to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.