Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NEXT IPHONE NEEDS COMPLETE REDESIGN

• AGREE

Votes: 144 47.1%
  • DISAGREE

Votes: 162 52.9%

• Total voters

Premium1

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2013
When the iPhone 5 was launched, I remember a promo video featuring Ive, and he said something like "it was tempting to completely redesign the iPhone, but people have certain expectations for what iPhone should look like and feel like, and we want to respect that and don't want to throw a jarring new experience at them" (paraphrasing, obviously).

Look at every other Apple product line. Gradual evolution, not revolution.

Until people stop buying it, apple isnt going to do anything radical with the iphone. They know they will continue to be bought so they can continue with the slow and steady upgrade route that they have been doing for years.

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
NEXT IPHONE needs COMPLETE REDESIGN

It's all in the post below.....

Last edited:

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
I've said it before and I'll say it again; Good design is good design. If it looks good today then it should still look good tomorrow or in 50 years - whether its an Omega watch or a Jaguar E Type.... and Apple do good design. Pretty much every product they've made, from a purely aesthetic perspective, is fantastic. Sure, trends change but style is a constant and that is what Apple have over most other manufacturers. All great brands whether designing cars, watches or phones have a design language and the evolution of that company's products means that any iteration can be instantly recognised. Companies that keep trying to start from scratch just prove they don't really have a direction and are just trying to appeal to the latest trends.
People who get bored with the appearance of a phone aren't interested in design - they just like a shiny new toy every 12 months.
Sure, iOS could do with a fair bump for iOS 7 and there are always advancements that can be made in terms of material durability and design tweaks so by no means should they stop improving but to ask for some completely groundbreaking reinvention of the rectangle with curved edges is a little unrealistic.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
It seems that Apple has enough followers that reject the idea of innovation & design advancements, that extending this same design to four years old may work just fine.

They are perfectly happy with the status quo, which in large part is a very good position for Apple. They can make far more profit on an existing design, which in turn gives those who love to brag about Apples revenue as though its their own, the comfort they seek.

Should this be the chosen path, it's going to be a huge gift to Google, Android, and the various handset makers. It will also be a very generous way to allow all the third party case makers to take a year off while still raking in loads of cash off existing designs.

Apple's in quite an ideal position since their buyers don't demand anything other than the Apple logo on the back. Sales remain robust & that fills Apples goals quite nicely.

boch82

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2008
Im guessing he meant that it was similar ever since the iPhone 4 . I would personally like a bigger screen , an new UI , 128 GB , More MP for the Camera. Thats all I can think of @ 3 am.

Why do you need more MP on the camera? Are you printing poster size images? Upgraded optics are far better than than mega pixels...

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
It seems that Apple has enough followers that reject the idea of innovation & design advancements, that extending this same design to four years old may work just fine.

They are perfectly happy with the status quo, which in large part is a very good position for Apple. They can make far more profit on an existing design, which in turn gives those who love to brag about Apples revenue as though its their own, the comfort they seek.

Should this be the chosen path, it's going to be a huge gift to Google, Android, and the various handset makers. It will also be a very generous way to allow all the third party case makers to take a year off while still raking in loads of cash off existing designs.

Apple's in quite an ideal position since their buyers don't demand anything other than the Apple logo on the back. Sales remain robust & that fills Apples goals quite nicely.

Ok, this thread is all about design of the phone as an object.
I think there is quite a difference between being satisfied with a well designed phone and "rejecting the idea of innovation & design".
Please explain how the brushed aluminium effect plastic of Samsung's wunderfone is innovative or a design advancement? Also, how is the 4 the same as the 5? Granted it has similar design cues but is there one element of the two phones that is identical?

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I disagree. I think the current design is beautiful and functional. I don't think it NEEDS a complete redesign, but I would be excited if Apple did change it up for the iPhone 6.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
1) Ok, this thread is all about design of the phone as an object.
I think there is quite a difference between being satisfied with a well designed phone and "rejecting the idea of innovation & design".

2) Please explain how the brushed aluminium effect plastic of Samsung's wunderfone is innovative or a design advancement? Also, how is the 4 the same as the 5? Granted it has similar design cues but is there one element of the two phones that is identical?

1a) The point is that being satisfied is not a weakness. It's a personal preference. Thus rejecting the idea of a design change, since many are satisfied with the status quo.

Personally I like the basic shape, it's only the small size, and the narrow elongated display I find dull. Nonetheless I bought one so as to see for myself, what the phone is like, during day to day usage.

2a) My post only contains a discussion regarding Apple. Dragging Samsung & Android into the discussion is a worn out, useless tactic that suggests desperation.

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
1a) The point is that being satisfied is not a weakness. It's a personal preference. Thus rejecting the idea of a design change, since many are satisfied with the status quo.

Personally I like the basic shape, it's only the small size, and the narrow elongated display I find dull. Nonetheless I bought one so as to see for myself, what the phone is like, during day to day usage.

2a) My post only contains a discussion regarding Apple. Dragging Samsung & Android into the discussion is a worn out, useless tactic that suggests desperation.

Actually you did mention Android and its handset manufacturers in your post....
What you didn't mention however was anything in the way of input into how Apple could improve their designs - your post merely seemed to be an attack on people who approve of Apple's design ethos.

BlueMoonForever

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2012
Absolutely agree with the OP. They definitely need a redesign. I'm hoping they make it at least 4.3" but I bet that'll piss all the iSheep off!!! Haha

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Jan 31, 2012
Well I would say it needs a redesigned, but more than the phone the OS needs a redesign. It really has not changed in looks since 2007.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
How would you suggest Apple reinvent the rectangle?
I'll just drop these here:
lumia920headerimgwmed2.jpg

nokia-lumia-920-820-hands-on-07.jpg

slide-1-white.png

HTC-Windows-Phone-8X-colours.jpg

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
^^^^
Scratchy plastic cases no thanks.

What it needs is a side button redesign and much stronger aluminum frame. Apple needs to get that Liquid Metal stuff in their products.

canucksfan88

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2007
no it doesn't. the OS on the other hand...THAT needs a complete overhaul.

Yes there are those who want widgets
Yes there are those who want toggles
Yes there are those who want a customizable OS

To say that is Android, well too bad. This should be standard on iOS and to not, is them being lazy.

DND needs weekend/weekday mode.
Oh and they should really allow us to move the icons anywhere on the grid.

The lockscreen also needs a complete overhaul. THAT has received zero innovation since iOS 1. Okay fine they added the camera switch.... It looks way too stale though.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
An all caps title? Serious business.

The iPhone is fine, start focusing on some OS wish list items that people tend to want.

R.Stoychev

macrumors 6502a
Dec 23, 2012
For me the iphone is fine, all I need is new ios and I hope ios 7 to show us something new :D:)

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
I've found that most youngsters care more about how the phone looks, you know gotta have a phone that refreshes the poser cred..
Folks over 30 mostly care about the OS, the iphone is not a toy to this crowd its actually a useful tool. So half the forum will say yes it needs a redesign the other half will say no.

There's nothing new to see here folks. Its the same'ole same'ole...

MassiveAttack

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2010
New York
I think whatever hardware choice Apple design goes with will be fine. What i would kike to see is a complete revamp of iOS as it has barely changed apart from minor tweaks, we still have the same 2007 OS.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
I've found that most youngsters care more about how the phone looks, you know gotta have a phone that refreshes the poser cred..
Folks over 30 mostly care about the OS, the iphone is not a toy to this crowd its actually a useful tool. So half the forum will say yes it needs a redesign the other half will say no.

There's nothing new to see here folks. Its the same'ole same'ole...
So, at any given time the iPhone only pleases half the people.

For the record, I'm in the over 30 crowd (way over) and hate the square brick shape/look of the iPhone, but love the simplicity of the OS, though it's dated as hell. I'd like to see a redesign of both. JailBreaking mostly fixes the first.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
I'll just drop these here:

All Nokia have done is squared off a rectangle and made it brickier, whilst HTC curved out theirs.

At the end of the day they're all still rectangular touch screen slabs.

Apple have also done similar;

curved rectangle and squared rectangle

There you go, there's your COMPLETE REDESIGN

/thread

Attachments

• 29416_2012072155.jpg
    29416_2012072155.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 323
  • 12635564382012-iphone5-gallery6-z.jpg
    12635564382012-iphone5-gallery6-z.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.