Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I love watches and also wear one every day, but they have to at least look good =/

I can give you that! The Pebble is a little weird looking, as are all the smartwatches right now. It's such a new market and everyone involved is really just winging it. If the idea takes off I'm sure a bigger player will get involved and we'll some with a little style.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
LOL, love to read different opinions....no really i do! Its what makes for interesting conversations on things, such as the devices we use.

As for watches, on top of what ive already said, im not impressed by brand names. A long time ago a roomate of mine bought a Tag Haur(not sure how to spell it) watch and he was showing it off. Of course id never heard of it and he told me he got a great deal on it which was a few hundred i think. That thing looked like some divers watch and wasnt anything special to look at but he emphasized that, "its a Tag Haur".

Didnt look like anything special to me. A watch has no prestige value to me. Dont care who makes it. Could be a Timex, Rolex, or a Athletic Works and it wouldnt make any difference.

Yeah, I have a couple friends who laugh at how much I've spent on watches, but its just a passion like gadgets for some people.

Difference between a gadget or Bell and Ross, etc is that the watch will last decades. There's just something about a fine watch I like.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Yeah, I have a couple friends who laugh at how much I've spent on watches, but its just a passion like gadgets for some people.

Difference between a gadget or Bell and Ross, etc is that the watch will last decades. There's just something about a fine watch I like.

I totally agree. I had this discussion with my fiance a while back- a good watch, a really good one, is an heirloom. Something you can pass down to your kids one day. No different from a nice engagement ring or other jewelry. The watch my mom gave me on my 16th birthday is one of my most cherished possessions. I (half) jokingly said when I have my mid life crisis I'm not gonna buy a sports car, I'm gonna buy a Rolex.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
I totally agree. I had this discussion with my fiance a while back- a good watch, a really good one, is an heirloom. Something you can pass down to your kids one day. No different from a nice engagement ring or other jewelry. The watch my mom gave me on my 16th birthday is one of my most cherished possessions. I (half) jokingly said when I have my mid life crisis I'm not gonna buy a sports car, I'm gonna buy a Rolex.

I would pick up a Tag Monaco, but I still want that sports car :)

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
bump

Anyone have one yet? Experiences? I saw someone wearing one today and it looked slick.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I actually picked one up last week since they became available at best buy. I'm loving it, especially with Android. The stock app is nice, but there are a couple third party apps that really open up the functionality of the pebble. Also the integration with runkeeper is just awesome. It holds a charge for about 6 days, even when using runkeeper once every day or two. I'm not sure how the iOS app is, but on Android I have the pebble doing a lot of work. I can read and quick reply to sms and email, and you can even check your twitter/facebook from the watch (not that you'd really need to but it's still neat).

I love being able to see who is calling or texting me with a quick glance. I am often in setting where it is inappropriate to pull your phone out/have the sound on so the Pebble is an easy way for me to determine the urgency of the call.

I am very glad I picked one up. I think it puts the metawatch to shame, I was using one of those for several months and the phone app is so bad on both iOS and Android. Also my metawatch often just freezes with no way to do a reset. So far I have had 0 issues with the pebble. I get my notifications within a second or two after they hit the phone and I've had no connection issues. Loving it! I strongly recommend it for any watch junkie, fitness junkie, or for someone who can't always be staring at their phone and still wants to see who is calling.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Does it vibrate or something to let you know about notifications? And does it work for every app? I might get one if it has GVoice support.

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
Yes it does vibrate for notifications but no it does not currently work with any app unless your phone is jail broken. I recently purchased it at best buy as well and I can agree with the other guy above that it is awesome and I like being able to quick glance at my watch to see who is calling or texting and also to see what they said. The only complaint I have is that there is no battery indicator or warning that the battery is going to die, I guess the best solution to this is to charge it every night with your phone. Other then that it's a pretty awesome watch. Change out the watch band to give it some style and your golden. Definitely worth my $150.

Cancelled
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Yes it does vibrate for notifications but no it does not currently work with any app unless your phone is jail broken. I recently purchased it at best buy as well and I can agree with the other guy above that it is awesome and I like being able to quick glance at my watch to see who is calling or texting and also to see what they said. The only complaint I have is that there is no battery indicator or warning that the battery is going to die, I guess the best solution to this is to charge it every night with your phone. Other then that it's a pretty awesome watch. Change out the watch band to give it some style and your golden. Definitely worth my $150.

Thanks for the reply!

I wonder if it works with GVoice on Android.

I have like $75 in BB gift cards now. I'm just curious if I should waste for something better or jump on this. It would suck if a better smart watch with a color screen or something comes out right after I get mine.

Meltdownblitz

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2010
Yes that's also a major thing it's missing is a color screen!! If I were you I'd just pay for it because if your using certs and you return it you'll have to wait 4 weeks for them to credit your account. If your using gift cards you should be able to get them back right away..? Not sure how that works. Btw I am using iOS on an iphone 5, I forgot to mention. So I can't speak for how it works on android.

jcpb

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2012
I have one. Currently have Glance for date/time and weather, and built-in Music watchapp to control Poweramp playback. When traveling, though, I'd have the Pebble control 4S/iTunes instead.

peoplegetready

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2013
https://www.google.com/url?q=http://getpebble.com/&sa=U&ei=WN0PUdmOFurg0gGg6IDQDw&ved=0CDMQFjAA&usg=AFQjCNGZJWuUb-RCmoe6Cp7PYwZnJz44Ow

Im thinking of getting one. Anyone with experience?

Ehh... wait.. till you see a smartwatch you really like. They're starting to pop up everywhere.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.