Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How many spaces do you put after a period (full stop)?

• One

Votes: 32 59.3%
  • Two

Votes: 22 40.7%

• Total voters

Shaun.P

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2003
Omicron Persei 8
Hello all,

I remember being around 12 (in 1999) when my computing teacher (who would have been in her mid-thirties) emphasised that there should be two spaces after a full-stop.

It recently came to my attention that this is considered old fashioned and that the majority of people use one space.

I now find the habit almost impossible to break. I also think two spaces after the full stop looks better.

How many spaces do you use? When were you taught this?

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I always put two spaces after a full stop.

This is what I was taught when I did a typing course, years ago, and it was also the standard when I worked as an editor, or have written anything for publication. Indeed, for any sort of writing (except texting where I'll use one), I use two spaces after a full stop.

Among other things, it makes for easier legibility, something that I value more and more as I get older.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Two spaces is how I was taught and what I prefer. Although, the habit has changed a bit and often I find that when typing I may only use one.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
I habitually use 2, but real-world ends up somewhere between 1 and 4. I don't worry about it too much. I just use search-and-replace if I need to normalize them. Making stylistic changes like that is why we use computers.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
looks like I am also old school and use two. I had this discussion with mum the other day and she says that nowadays they teach people to put only one.

I find text easier to read with two spaces after a full stop.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I use one. I vaguely recall being taught to use two at school but I'd already been typing for years at that point so it didn't really sink in. After reading the article linked below, I think that's for the best!

I habitually use 2, but real-world ends up somewhere between 1 and 4.

I also learned to write single-digit numbers in full unless they're part of a list, i.e. "one" and "two", not "1" and "2".

:)

Last edited:

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
One space and one space only — two spaces is a hangover from the days of monospaced typewriters, an aid to legibility that isn't needed with proper fonts.

Whenever I get copy in from clients, one thing I invariably have to do is remove all the double (or more) spaces from it. I know who you are. :mad:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I habitually use 2, but real-world ends up somewhere between 1 and 4. I don't worry about it too much. I just use search-and-replace if I need to normalize them. Making stylistic changes like that is why we use computers.

4? Dude where?
I believe it is now one space, generally speaking, but people are still using two spaces a lot. I know I do as a habit that I am having a hard time breaking. No one cares that I do, but I have tried.

I recalled a recent article or childish rant about the subject. You can find it here.

jf1450

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2012
What Jaffa said. Used to be 2 but my wife who is a writer for a living said the world changed to 1 while I was sleeping. :)

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
What Jaffa said. Used to be 2 but my wife who is a writer for a living said the world changed to 1 while I was sleeping. :)

oops having read jessicas link and all these consensus's - I think I have a bunch of people to apologise to (I've always preached its 'THE WAY') - :(

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
2 out of habit altho the internet seems to format it too one. I think 2 is easier to read.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
One space and one space only — two spaces is a hangover from the days of monospaced typewriters, an aid to legibility that isn't needed with proper fonts.

Oh, if only all fonts were proper...*sigh*...but they aren't. In almost every case, two spaces look better to my eyes than one. But I have been typing for thirty-plus years, and have always done so with two spaces after a period.

Squilly

macrumors 68020
Nov 17, 2012
PA
Two spaces. Separates words from a sentence. One space between words, two spaces between sentences. Got it?

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
oops having read jessicas link and all these consensus's - I think I have a bunch of people to apologise to (I've always preached its 'THE WAY') - :(

..but just to clarify my position: I will continue to use two spaces as it's easier for me to read (and makes full stops stand out from comma's for those of us with less than perfect eyesight).

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I too was taught the two spaces after a hard stop. However after reading this and seeing a lot of people now using the one space, I only do one space now.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2011/01/space_invaders.html

The problem with typewriters was that they used monospaced type—that is, every character occupied an equal amount of horizontal space. This bucked a long tradition of proportional typesetting, in which skinny characters (like I or 1) were given less space than fat ones (like W or M). Monospaced type gives you text that looks "loose" and uneven; there's a lot of white space between characters and words, so it's more difficult to spot the spaces between sentences immediately. Hence the adoption of the two-space rule—on a typewriter, an extra space after a sentence makes text easier to read.

Last edited:

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
One space.

Was never told to space it twice. But then again, I never really took a computer course.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.