Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
I turned down the overclocking of my 680mx from 200/300 to 150/250. That reduced my CPU and GPU temps by 6-7 degrees celsius. Looks like 150/250 might be the sweetspot in terms of overclocking and temperature. I loose about 370 points in 3dmark 11, but I do feel more comfortable with now having CPU temps around 78-81C, and GPU at about 72C. That's high enough... :) This is playing Crysis 2 with everything on max btw (except post processing).

Edit: I turned up the overclocking again to 200/300, and I still get the same lower temps.. Maybe it has something to do with other settings, weird...

Last edited:

luminouslight

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2012
Orlando FL
I turned the overclocking of my 680mx from 200/300 to 150/250. That reduced my CPU and GPU temps by 6-7 degrees celsius. Looks like 150/250 might be the sweetspot in terms of overclocking and temperature. I loose about 370 points in 3dmark 11, but I do feel more comfortable with now having CPU temps around 78-81C, and GPU at about 72C. That's high enough... :) This is playing Crysis 2 with everything on max btw (except post processing).

Is that on native resolution? If so that's pretty darn impressive.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
What's impressive is that a game from 2008 is still the "benchmark" for torture testing machines.

Mac32

Suspended
Nov 20, 2010
You're thinking about Crysis 1, but yes I agree. The graphics in crysis 2 is excellent with the max edition addon (high def textures and dx11).
Do you remember Far Cry from 2004? I recently played it on my MacBookPro 15''. With all settings at max, that game still looks very impressive considering it's age. Crytech knows their stuff! :)

Last edited:

luminouslight

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2012
Orlando FL
The graphics in crysis 2 is excellent with the max edition addon (high def textures and dx11 - this came a bit later I think?).
Do you remember Far Cry from 2004? I recently played it on my MacBookPro 15''. With all settings at max, that game still looks very impressive considering it's age. Crytech knows their stuff! :)

They sure do. Only other game I know that has very damn nice looking graphics is the witcher 2. And they just announced the witcher 3. It's supposed to be a vast open game like skyrim but with the awesome story telling of the witcher. Wonder what the graphics on that will look like since its supposedly coming out for next-gen consoles as well. :D

PhillyAnt

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2013
Philly
So I am new at messing around with the graphics card and overclocking things. Noobie question.

Are you only overclocking on the PC side or are you doing it on the Mac side? Can it be done on the Mac side? What would I use to overclock my card. What can I use to check my temps?

I know I can't run bootcamp yet but I want to be prepared for when they release a fix for the 3tb drive. Also, should I stick with Win 7 for bootcamp?

This is my setup:

2012 i7 3.4, 680mx, 32GB ram, 3tb fusion.

Thanks!

wmy5

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
upstate NY

Thanks! I found mine is only around 4200 for the scene of Fire Strike. I don't know what's going wrong. Can you tell me your drivers' version?

----------

So I am new at messing around with the graphics card and overclocking things. Noobie question.

Are you only overclocking on the PC side or are you doing it on the Mac side? Can it be done on the Mac side? What would I use to overclock my card. What can I use to check my temps?

I know I can't run bootcamp yet but I want to be prepared for when they release a fix for the 3tb drive. Also, should I stick with Win 7 for bootcamp?

This is my setup:

2012 i7 3.4, 680mx, 32GB ram, 3tb fusion.

Thanks!

I don't think there's a way to do over-clocking on the OS X.

For your second question, you can wait for 10.8.3, which will include both 3TB Boot Camp and Windows 8 support.

GPUFreak

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2012
nice benchmark in new 3dmark, looks like its about equal to a 7870 (if both are stock)

ill ramp my 660 in my gaming pc (i hate mac desktops, so only buy their laptops) all the way up as high as it goes and see how the graphics score compares (the overall will be lower, as i have a lower end i5 in it, as compared to a high end i7) though with mine at stock your winning with ur OC 680mx by about 1000

tl;dr can u give me a result at stock? also ill overclock my 660 to the wall and see how the 680mx stacks up to desktop cards

ps. anyone play cryis 3 yet? SO PRETTY O_O :eek:

wmy5

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
upstate NY
oc gives me 10 fps more in far cry 3. it's crazy! :D temps oft the gpu are 87-88 in fc3 without overlocking it's 85. i think its okay.

btw:
what are the highets rpm of the fan? during fc3 i get 2500 rpm. cpu is also 88-89.

Maximum fan speed ~1600rpm, GPU temp. ~82C for a 3DMark run.

wmy5

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
upstate NY
Can you give me a source of that?
I couldn't confirm it on the internet...

OS X Beta 10.8.3 (12D58)

The installer includes a feature list:

The 10.8.3 update is recommended for all OS X Mountain Lion users and includes features and fixes that improve the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, including the following:
• The ability to redeem iTunes gift cards in the Mac App Store using your Mac's built-in camera
• Boot Camp support for installing Windows 8
• Boot Camp support for Macs with a 3TB hard drive
• A fix for an issue that may cause Logic Pro to become unresponsive when using certain plug-ins
• A fix for an issue that may cause audio to stutter on 2011 iMacs
• Includes Safari 6.0.3

This was posted by a user named tywebb13 in his comment: https://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/24/apple-seeds-build-12d58-of-os-x-beta-10-8-3-to-developers/

TweakOnline

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2012
Europe
OS X Beta 10.8.3 (12D58)

The installer includes a feature list:

The 10.8.3 update is recommended for all OS X Mountain Lion users and includes features and fixes that improve the stability, compatibility, and security of your Mac, including the following:
• The ability to redeem iTunes gift cards in the Mac App Store using your Mac's built-in camera
• Boot Camp support for installing Windows 8
• Boot Camp support for Macs with a 3TB hard drive
• A fix for an issue that may cause Logic Pro to become unresponsive when using certain plug-ins
• A fix for an issue that may cause audio to stutter on 2011 iMacs
• Includes Safari 6.0.3

This was posted by a user named tywebb13 in his comment: https://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/24/apple-seeds-build-12d58-of-os-x-beta-10-8-3-to-developers/

OMFG hell yeah! :D
Thanks man!

Towelie1288

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2012
Texas
anyone try the Witcher 2 on the new 680Mx and what performance did you get ?
and which runs smoother bootcamp or OSX?

thanks

luminouslight

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2012
Orlando FL
What games that will come out soon are you blokes looking forward to?
I usually like first person shooters, and single player. However, Shootmania Storm looks like it might be a lot of fun. http://www.shootmania.com

New Tomb Raider reboot, and Bioshock Infinite mainly. Might pick up the Starcraft 2 zerg expansion but i'm never any good at those kinds of games even though I think they're fun as hell lol. :)

AndiS.

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2012
What games that will come out soon are you blokes looking forward to?
I usually like first person shooters, and single player. However, Shootmania Storm looks like it might be a lot of fun. http://www.shootmania.com

Dead Space 3, Bioshock Infinite, and Devil May Cry. But for now I still have games for days from Steam sales, so it will be a while before I'll purchase the next game (unless there is another incredible sale...)

----------

all maxed out except über-sampling
native resolution
gtx680mx oc +200/+300
40+ fps

wow...how much do you get without over clocking? I'm still on the fence about over clocking mine, because the performance is already outstanding for my needs.

b0redom

macrumors regular
May 4, 2007
Hi Guys,
Need a bit of help with MSI Afterburner. All I should need to do is launch it, increase the core clock and memory clock and hit 'Apply' right?

I've done that and a 324Mhz overclock gives me EXACTLY the same 3dMarks as a stock one. So I think something is awry.

Regards...

b0redom

b0redom

macrumors regular
May 4, 2007
Actually never mind - looks like you need to increase the RAM clock at the same time as the core otherwise it doesn't apply. I seem to have been able to get a mental overclock - in fact it's limited by the slider in Afterburner:

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/156503

:eek: :eek: :eek:

...but gaming on Macs is rubbish right? ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.