Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In a discussion with Forbes, Cydia appstore administrator Jay Freeman revealed that the evasi0n jailbreak had been installed 800,000 times within six hours of its Monday release.

By Tuesday, Cydia had been installed 1.7 million times, and according to a chart tweeted by Freeman, Cydia was receiving 14,000 hits per minute at peak download times.

cydia6hits.jpg
The demand for the jailbreak resulted in site wide traffic problems, causing Freeman's server to go offline several times. To put it in perspective, that's approximately 1,200 Cydia downloads per minute.

Evasi0n is the first significant jailbreak since the widely used Redsn0w iOS 5.1.1 untethered jailbreak. Hacking Apple devices is a detailed process, which is why jailbreaks are few and far between.
According to David Wang, one of the evad3rs' four developers, the program takes advantage of at least five distinct, new bugs in iOS's code. (For reference, that's one more than Stuxnet, the malware built by the NSA to destroy centrifuges in Iran's nuclear enrichment facilities.)
The evasi0n jailbreak is the first untethered jailbreak for the iPhone 5 and for devices running iOS 6.x. Evasi0n is available for OS X, Windows, and Linux on the evasi0n website.

Article Link: Evasi0n Jailbreak Installed on 1.7 Million Devices Since Monday Release

frayne182

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2012
Canada
Not surprising. More and more people with iOS are wanting to be able to customize their phone.

I jailbroke my iPhone 5 yesterday.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Whoops, at least half of those installs were mine. I just couldn't get the darn thing to work. Hehe, sorry… :eek:

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
It's may seem crazy, but this will actually help Apple sell more iOS devices.

Well they got a sale from me, I was holding out with an old JB'd iPhone4, yesterday I bought an iPhone5.

I like the certain customizations that Apple just does not want to either develop themselves, or allow 3rd party devs to do.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
For reference, that's one more than Stuxnet, the malware built by the NSA to destroy centrifuges in Iran's nuclear enrichment facilities.
Are we comparing an iPhone with a nuclear facility here? :p

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
That is impressive.
With those stats I am surprised there wasn't even more of a crash and burn attempting to jailbreak and load Cydia.

Those stats are also interesting in it tells us many jailbroke numerous iDevices, each.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I believe that's the case. This is good news for Apple.

Yes. It's good news. But it also fortifies the the idea that although iOS might be slick/great/stable/etc - it's lacking (enough) that significant userbase wants more than Apple has given - even after several versions.

And again - I agree that this is "good" news for Apple overall - you have to also wonder if there are this many jailbreaking - how many are leaving and/or choosing Android over iOS because of shortcomings that can only be realized via jailbreaking.

I pose that as a question - not commentary.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
And people say that the amount of people who Jailbreak is negliable...

I think it has a lot to do with the amount of time it took to come out....the iphone has been out for 5 months. Also, more people are starting to go to android, and people who are staying still want customization and this is really the only way to do so. I still personally only know about 1 or 2 people other than myself who even know what jailbreaking is.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I feel the exact same way. People still care about jailbreaking and that is awesome.

Serious question...why is it awesome that some people care about jailbreaking?

I don't care one way or the other whether folks jailbreak...that's their business.

I'm just curious why you think it's "awesome"...a wonderful thing to do?:confused: :)

GeekLawyer

macrumors 68020
Yes. It's good news. But it also fortifies the the idea that although iOS might be slick/great/stable/etc - it's lacking (enough) that significant userbase wants more than Apple has given - even after several versions.

And again - I agree that this is "good" news for Apple overall - you have to also wonder if there are this many jailbreaking - how many are leaving and/or choosing Android over iOS because of shortcomings that can only be realized via jailbreaking.

I pose that as a question - not commentary.

Interesting question. I can only answer it for myself. I've carried an iPhone since June 2007 and have no plans to change that at this time. I'm very pleased with Apple's hardware, software, and App Store offerings. They provide me the very best mobile experience for my money.

Jailbreaking and the enthusiast community provides a nice (though unnecessary) cherry atop the Apple. Others may differ.

sransari

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2005
I've been wanting to jailbreak for some time, but have been too much of a n00b. I jailbroke last nite with evasi0n and it was super easy even for a n00b like me. I would imagine that that evasi0n would spawn a slew of first time jailbreakers like myself.

sransari

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2005
Serious question...why is it awesome that some people care about jailbreaking?

I don't care one way or the other whether folks jailbreak...that's their business.

I'm just curious why you think it's "awesome"...a wonderful thing to do?:confused: :)

because it shows enthusiasm for the technology

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I've been wanting to jailbreak for some time, but have been too much of a n00b. I jailbroke last nite with evasi0n and it was super easy even for a n00b like me. I would imagine that that evasi0n would spawn a slew of first time jailbreakers like myself.

At one time you could just go to jailbreakme.com from your phone and it would jailbreak it....that was easy ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.