Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

152516-apple_logo.jpg
For years, Apple Public Relations has issued press releases for major product announcements, handed out exclusives and loaner units to a few select reporters and columnists, and occasionally signed off on an interview with one of the senior executives when it suited their marketing message. That strategy gave the company millions of dollars in free marketing with news outlets writing about every bit of information they can find.

These days, according to the Wall Street Journal, Apple's public relations department is a little more proactive. Last week, Apple issued a press release to announce iOS 6.1, a comparatively minor software release.
At the same time, Apple communications staff have recently sent reporters more favorable third-party reports about the company, including a study predicting that by 2014, Apple will be as accepted in the enterprise as Microsoft is today. Apple, and indeed virtually all its competitors, send reporters favorable studies from time to time. But the five reports Apple has sent since the start of the year, mostly related to mobile market share, represent more than recent months.
The Journal says the PR efforts "represent a recognition that competition is heating up", according to a WSJ source, with a caveat that it wasn't a big shift in protocol.

Of course, even when Apple PR is more forthcoming, it can still rely on the press to cover every move it makes.

Article Link: Apple's Public Relations Department Opening Up Under Tim Cook

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
"a study predicting that by 2014, Apple will be as accepted in the enterprise as Microsoft is today."

Ooh, I love fantasy novels!

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
I don't know.. this guy Cook.. this guy blows.. Double downing on secrecy.. oh wow.. All the moves he makes, looks very very shaky and doubtful..

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I wonder when spending on advertising will follow. Samsung is now spending about 14X what Apple is on advertising, and it is having an effect. You almost literally cannot watch a commercial block anywhere on tv without seeing a Samsung ad.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Exclamation point on the end of the Jobs Era. The fact Apple needs an entire department to do what one one of many areas Jobs handled solo is telling indeed. Sad day.

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
I don't know.. this guy Cook.. this guy blows.. Double downing on secrecy.. oh wow.. All the moves he makes, looks very very shaky and doubtful..

What.

Making press releases when you decide to make them doesn't impact secrecy in any way. They make the announcements when the products have been released! The difference is that they may just be more willing to make them now. I can't see how that in any way is a bad thing.

----------

Exclamation point on the end of the Jobs Era. The fact Apple needs an entire department to do what one one of many areas Jobs handled solo is telling indeed. Sad day.

Jobs wrote all press releases?

STiNG Operation

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
The Zoo
Lol, well he could be trying to be sarcastic. Here's a troll face wallpaper anyway.

Attachments

• wallpaper-1089568.jpg
    wallpaper-1089568.jpg
    823.3 KB · Views: 262

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
What.

Jobs wrote all press releases?

Press releases are not the sum of PR. In fact it's a minor bit. It's something to give interns and new hires something to do. Real PR is the stuff of Edward Bernays. He didn't sit around all day and write press releases that no one reads except Advertorial writers. Good PR is changing people's hearts and minds w/o them knowing they've been manipulated. A press release doesn't do that. Sorry.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
LOL. Jobs didn't do all PR by himself.

LOL back at you. Reality Distortion Field was all the PR Apple needed. It's what drove Apple growth. People bought what he sold no matter how minor the upgrade. Now people just yawn...or maybe rage a bit here at MR. Jobs was a modern day PT Barnum.

ericinboston

macrumors 68010
Jan 13, 2008
"...including a study predicting that by 2014, Apple will be as accepted in the enterprise as Microsoft is today."

So let me get this straight...within 10 months:

1)Apple software (what software?) will be as accepted as MS SQL Server or MS Office or MS Windows.

2)Apple Macs will be as accepted as Windows-based machines in the corporate world (we've been hearing similar stories for 25+ years). Even though there are no business Support contracts by Apple...you know...those corporate contracts about supporting hardware, upgrades, pricing, implementation teams, development teams, escalation/dedicated teams, etc. And where are the hundreds of thousands of Mac/Apple IT people to even do the work at Company X?

3)Apple iPads will be as accepted as MS tablets (you know, the one MS just released a few months ago which has no traction). This would be a true statement, but it's sure not saying much! Why not say that Apple will be as popular as nuns handing out cigarettes to children at bus stops?

Apple has a very, VERY long road to any kind of corporate acceptance. The very basics (regardless of how good a product(s) you think Apple has) are entirely missing from Apple: technical support, roadmapping, open-ness, pricing. Not to mention the fact that Apple has a very my-way-or-the-highway approach.

Apple is consumer-focused...plain and simple. Which is fine. Comparing phones and MP3 players to core hardware/software that RUNS businesses is abdsurd.

Last edited:

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Nobody is offering the level of fit and finish as Apple so **** the competition.Yeah, Samsung has some interesting phones but they still suck!
As far as I'm concerned Apple has killed the rest of consumer electronic industry. If you have the air, the iPhone and either the iPad mini of the big boy you are done!
And when the air is given the retina display as well as the iPad mini all hell is going to break through in this bitch!

Last edited by a moderator:

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Its interesing how long it took everyone to realize the way Apple was making oroducts was right all along. Now we see many similar designs and the hardware/software/ecosystem model inspired from past and present Apple products. Ill admit that I'll be sad that the exclusivity of good products is starting to end. It was always exciting to have Apple release something incredibly different like it was brought from the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.