Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dona83

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Fellow Canadian eh! Are you using vintage lenses? Why did you find the need to manually focus?

Yep! You'll see me at a hockey arena with a cup of Tims! lol. I think you'll see that in Michigan too, maybe they should join Canada.

That was the kit lens that came with the NEX-5. IMO, the kit lens with the NEX-5 is superb, solid metal body and a very nice looking glass lens, it looks expensive and takes great shots too. I took some nice shots of my son playing behind one of those wire and bead toys, but I didn't know the camera focused on the wire and bead, not my son sitting behind it.

The higher end model Sony SLT cameras (A55, A67, A77, A99) have a mode where focused edges are highlighted in green, it's a really awesome feature. I don't know if the NEX-6 has that feature or not, would really assist in focusing photos. The NEX-7 I know has this feature for sure. But anyway, the NEX-6 has an OLED viewfinder like my A33, so it should still be quite easy to make sure the right subject is focussed.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
The higher end model Sony SLT cameras (A55, A67, A77, A99) have a mode where focused edges are highlighted in green, it's a really awesome feature. I don't know if the NEX-6 has that feature or not, would really assist in focusing photos. The NEX-7 I know has this feature for sure. But anyway, the NEX-6 has an OLED viewfinder like my A33, so it should still be quite easy to make sure the right subject is focussed.

My NEX-6 gives me 3 different color options for the focused edges - White, Green, or Yellow.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
The True North, Strong and Free
LOL, they can keep Michigan.

OK, so basically because you had some shots with missed focus. The NEX-5N has focus peaking too. I found that the kit lens is so-so. As you can see in one of my pics (the landscape with the bridge), it has a horrible lack of sharpness at the edges, and that's at f/8.

Maybe later this year, I'll be looking at a D600 or something like that. Really like that full frame quality and DoF. There's a full frame NEX coming, but none of the current lenses will work on it. There are some new Zeiss lenses coming that are rumoured to work, but dunno... right now buying any glass seems like a waste.

Yep! You'll see me at a hockey arena with a cup of Tims! lol. I think you'll see that in Michigan too, maybe they should join Canada.

That was the kit lens that came with the NEX-5. IMO, the kit lens with the NEX-5 is superb, solid metal body and a very nice looking glass lens, it looks expensive and takes great shots too. I took some nice shots of my son playing behind one of those wire and bead toys, but I didn't know the camera focused on the wire and bead, not my son sitting behind it.

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
You aren't going to be able to beat the image quality of the NEX unless you step up to full frame. Well, The Fujis are slightly better, but that's mostly due to lack of a moire filter, and they cost a lot.

Here are some sample NEX-5N shots with the kit lens, the last two pics are ISO 25,600 and 12,800.

DSC03346-300x199.jpg

OK...all this camera and lens talk is great but...where did you get that poutine loybond?

It looks amazing! :)

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
It is amazing! It's at a place called RD's BBQ in Brampton. Run by an interesting man named Jean, this guy is the real deal. He really loves food and cooking. Part of his roots trace back to Louisiana, where he learned a lot of the creole and BBQ offerings he has at his restaurant. He cooks everything the way food enthusiasts do at home. For example, the gravy... it took him a while to perfect it. It takes him more than a day to make it.

I did my MBA in Texas and enjoyed a lot of the food down there... up here, I've tried every single BBQ place, and RDs is one of the best.

If you end up going, try the pulled pork (GTA's best IMO), the beef brisket (excellent) and of course the mammoth, which is the poutine you see in the picture. It comes topped with a lot of beef brisket, and I sometimes get it with sweet potato fries. And tell him you're a friend of Dean's.

I have a couple of blog posts about RDs:

http://www.adventuristo.com/rds-bbq/

http://www.adventuristo.com/review-rds-bbq/

DSC03346-300x199.jpg

OK...all this camera and lens talk is great but...where did you get that poutine loybond?

It looks amazing! :)

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
It is amazing! It's at a place called RD's BBQ in Brampton.

My taste buds are tingling…thanks for the tip loybond. I've had trouble finding a really good spot for Louisiana/Cajun/Creole/BBQ home style cooking.

Looking forward to meeting Jean! :)

OK, back to the camera and lens stuff....the D600 awesome! You won't be disappointed.

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Go for something with a proper viewfinder, be it DSLR or mirrorless.

I don't know why they did away with the viewfinder, so people only have the LCD screen to frame pictures. For handheld photography, especially if there is any action involved, you can frame the picture better. Also the camera is more stable held against the face, rather than held out in front of you.

I used to enjoy photography using a small rangefinder 35mm camera, but was camera less for many years until six months ago when I bought my first digital camera. It is one of the Olympus "Tough" series, and it has been a lot of fun, and useful. Most of the stories of the Phuket cricket league in the local newspapers since mid '12 have been taken with it.

Having got digital photography sussed to some extent, I am looking to upgrade, and a proper viewfinder is a high priority. I am weighing up whether to go for something like the Fujifilm 10X, or bite the bullet and fork out a bit more for a DSLR.

loybond

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
I bought a Rebel XT (350D) a long time ago, and kinda missed having a screen when I had that. With the articulating screen on the NEX-5N, you don't have to get down on your stomach for low perspective shots, or even crouch. With this NEX, I found that in bright outdoor scenarios, I was missing the viewfinder though. The NEX-6 seems to get it right with both, but I don't think the screen articulates, which is a really dumb design decision.

I don't know why they did away with the viewfinder, so people only have the LCD screen to frame pictures. For handheld photography, especially if there is any action involved, you can frame the picture better. Also the camera is more stable held against the face, rather than held out in front of you.

I used to enjoy photography using a small rangefinder 35mm camera, but was camera less for many years until six months ago when I bought my first digital camera. It is one of the Olympus "Tough" series, and it has been a lot of fun, and useful. Most of the stories of the Phuket cricket league in the local newspapers since mid '12 have been taken with it.

Having got digital photography sussed to some extent, I am looking to upgrade, and a proper viewfinder is a high priority. I am weighing up whether to go for something like the Fujifilm 10X, or bite the bullet and fork out a bit more for a DSLR.

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London

I don't necessarily agree. A flip screen and focus peaking shoots a lot like old view cameras....and with live view you can keep both eyes on the action vs evf. I love shooting rangefinders and nex is pretty good comparatively...with the flip screen. The rx1 should have come with a vf for sure at that price.

dona83

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Kelowna, BC
LOL, they can keep Michigan.

OK, so basically because you had some shots with missed focus. The NEX-5N has focus peaking too. I found that the kit lens is so-so. As you can see in one of my pics (the landscape with the bridge), it has a horrible lack of sharpness at the edges, and that's at f/8.

Maybe later this year, I'll be looking at a D600 or something like that. Really like that full frame quality and DoF. There's a full frame NEX coming, but none of the current lenses will work on it. There are some new Zeiss lenses coming that are rumoured to work, but dunno... right now buying any glass seems like a waste.

I just want a 16-50mm f/2.8 lens. :) I dunno, somehow the NEX series cameras were better, maybe because it's a mirrorless camera rather than a semi-transluscent? It's nothing something I think about so I have to increase exposure a bit through iPhoto.

My NEX-6 gives me 3 different color options for the focused edges - White, Green, or Yellow.

Thanks!!!

h00ligan

macrumors 68040
Apr 10, 2003
London
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360097274.581691.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360097289.603078.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360097308.953106.jpg

5n test samples contax g45/2

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360097319.612256.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360097319.612256.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 90

Guru22

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2014
Yeah, sony nex is good according to your budget but you can check t-dimension because there are so many handy cameras!

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.