Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TestaOn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2009
I am running the latest iTunes on my G5 and added a new internal hard drive - capacity 1.5TB. Now I want to consolidate my iTunes Library to the new drive. The 219GB of music is currently on my external 250GB drive.

I first set my Music Folder file to the new drive, then perform the function: File>Library>Organize Library>Consolidate Files

After it runs a 30 second "Preparing Copy" function, I get the incorrect error:
"There is not enough room on <MyNewHardriveName> to copy all of the requested files."

Does anyone know the solution to this? Thank you.

TestaOn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 15, 2009
I found the solution to my problem. After reading on the Apple Discussions Forum about the same problem, someone suggested that they could CONSOLIDATE to the new library location 40GB at a time by highlighting the tracks and right-click (CTRL-CLICK) and choosing CONSOLIDATE TRACKS.

I did that and it worked. I broke my library up into 39GB groups and consolidated the groups one at a time... until I got to my last 28GB of files and iTunes gave me that dreaded error again. I then consolidated smaller and smaller selections of tracks until the error came back. I finally narrowed it down to a small group and noticed a glaring "iTunes LP" file in my library! That was the bastard that would not consolidate! And it was that stupid FREE holiday LP they told me to download in an email just last week! I chose the remaining tracks except that one and it consolidated without a hitch. One friggin file caused all this frustration and micro-managing of my music over the past 7 days!

I don't know if everyone else who has this problem will find a similar solution, but my advice would be to sort your library by KIND and see if you can't find a culprit in there that is holding back your progress.

Peace!

Reactions: Partron22

kafisch

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2009
That's it!

TestaOn, you made my day! I had the exact same problem and I would have never, ever come up with that kind of patience and persistence to get at the bottom of it... The iTunes Holiday Sampler - how likely was that?

Anyway, iTunes is consolidating as I type this: THANK YOU A MILLION TIMES! What would we all do without devoted problem-solvers like you?

Have a rockstar New Year's Eve!

Doc69

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2005
The same thing just happened to me with iTunes 11 and a brand new MacBook Pro, when trying to move my girlfriends library from an external drive to the internal. The solution was to consolidate 1000 songs at a time with the right-click method. After doing 3000 songs like that, then the global command worked.

There did not seems to be an individual file that stopped the global command from working in the first place. But I'm glad I found this post and that the right-click method solved the problem.

TechnicalBoy

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2013
Space to consolidate...

Cheers, that worked for me, picking approx 1000 songs at a time from the Library, and r-click... Consolidate

Saved me from a ton of hassle deleting/moving other stuff in a (futile) attempt to create more free space.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.