Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Evasi0n is the first significant jailbreak since the widely used Redsn0w iOS 5.1.1 untethered jailbreak. Hacking Apple devices is a detailed process, which is why jailbreaks are few and far between.
The evasi0n jailbreak is the first untethered jailbreak for the iPhone 5 and for devices running iOS 6.x. Evasi0n is available for OS X, Windows, and Linux on the evasi0n website.

Article Link: Evasi0n Jailbreak Installed on 1.7 Million Devices Since Monday Release

Actually, the 5.1.1 jailbreak was called Rocky Racoon.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Out of that 1.7 million I wonder how many:

A) knackered up their devices

and

B) Tried it for 10mins then restored back to stock.

Reason I say this is because a lot of people I know have jailbroken only to return it to stock after seeing what all the fuss is about.

Ashyukun

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2008
Maybe, but will also allow ~1.7 million people to pirate apps.

I've known a number of people who jailbreak, and none of them had any interest in pirating apps. I've jailbroken since getting my 3GS and never pirated a single app- quite the contrary, I've spent a fair bit more thanks to the paid jailbreak tweaks/apps that I'd not have been able to use if the devices weren't jailbroken. I don't doubt that it happens- the hacks to allow it wouldn't likely exist were there not an interest in them- but to assume that the majority of jailbreakers pirate apps is definitely a streatch...

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I never really understood the big fuss about jaibreaking. Yes, i have jailbreaken my iPhones in the past and i did jailbreak my iPhone 5 today. Yes, it was dead easy. Yes, it does offer tweaks, themes, ringtones and so on. But really, the only stuff i have probably found useful are the SBSettings with quick access to WiFi,Bluetooth etc and bite SMS. Most things i have used keep crashing the springboard. And it slows the ******* down the phone. So you may count me out of that million, i don't think i will have it for a long.

HouD

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010
Who exactly is "We" ?

Do you mean the people that come on MR or go to some jailbreak website ? If you are then they are a very small minority .

Apple used to be the company of "giving the people the devices and features that they didn't even know that they wanted."

If "WE" are the minority, then the majority doesn't realize they want these things. And, trust me, do they ever want/need what "WE" are clamouring for.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Apple used to be the company of "giving the people the devices and features that they didn't even know that they wanted."

If "WE" are the minority, then the majority doesn't realize they want these things. And, trust me, do they ever want/need what "WE" are clamouring for.

That may be true but I know enough about jailbreaking to know I don't want it.

sleitch86

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2012
so you have no clue what are doing, but would call yourself a "developer" with respects to jailbroken devices and apps? that's the spirit bro![/QUOTE]

Yeah, apparently I have to be in this mode to even download libstatusbar anymore. Annoying.

tommyminahan

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2008
Not *that* substantial..

Dont get me wrong, i downloaded it, and tried it.
But ~2M downloads out of 300M iOS 6 devices is still small potatoes..

I don't see the jailbreak download getting much higher than 2-2.5M... Everyone that was going to JB knew it was coming, and were waiting for the release.. Boom, surge in downloads.. but it slowed down, and I don't see it going much higher..

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Name 10 (everyone).
Do 10 different toggles count as 10 or as one? Here are some that I JB to get:
Wifi
BT
Brightness
Vibrate
Landscape rotation lock (iPhone/iPod only)

That's 5 from toggles. Put those in Notification Center so you don't have to spend a minute finding them. I'll admit that BT is much easier to get to in iOS6, but still not like a toggle. Others:

Quick messaging from anywhere, including lockscreen
Notification center in lockscreen
Quick dialing from lockscreen
Downloading apps over 50MB via cellular
Direct file download of more file types to an appropriate app (still working this one out, it is getting better in stock iOS)
Ability to hide stock apps I never use, Newsstand

HouD

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010
That may be true but I know enough about jailbreaking to know I don't want it.

You don't want easier access to settings?
You don't want Quick Reply-type functionality?
You don't want an infinitely better Messages app?
You don't want better access to information on the Lockscreen?
You don't want Notification Center opened up to 3rd party developers?
You don't want Siri opened up to 3rd party developers?
You don't want the ability to set default apps and hide ones you don't use?
You don't want a freshened up and more unified UI (no major overhaul)?

I could go on, but apparently you don't want it. Thank goodness you're not in charge at Apple.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Jailbreaking exists for a reason.

What reason?

I have not and will not jailbreak my iPhones or iPad, so I don't have any hands-on experience. But once you jailbreak, is it possible to get normally-paid apps for free? If so, that would be a reason to not jailbreak in my mind, as it's stealing. But if it's to access a world of system tweaks and capabilities that are not possible through the AppStore, then fine. But is this jailbreak-community trying to circumvent Apple's annual developer fees? That would be wrong. Apple built this ecosystem, they deserve to receive revenue to keep it strong and healthy. Freeloaders can go to Android. Just curious... please enlighten me.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
I bet that there'll be a spike increase in iOS 6 upgrades since this was released!

I JB my new 4S as soon as this was released. I still have a 3GS on 5.1.1 because it has iBlacklist on it and I didn't want to give that up by upgrading. Now I will upgrade and JB but I still haven't done it yet on that phone.

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts
I'm one of them. And for the record: I ONLY jailbroke my iPhone for SBSettings, MyWi (which the dev can go to hell, asking for another $5 for an "upgrade") and a multitasking app called Zephyr (which I also paid for). I do not "steal" as many on this forum like to wrongly accuse us of.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
You don't want easier access to settings?
You don't want Quick Reply-type functionality?
You don't want an infinitely better Messages app?
You don't want better access to information on the Lockscreen?
You don't want Notification Center opened up to 3rd party developers?
You don't want Siri opened up to 3rd party developers?
You don't want the ability to set default apps and hide ones you don't use?
You don't want a freshened up and more unified UI (no major overhaul)?

I could go on, but apparently you don't want it. Thank goodness you're not in charge at Apple.

Everything is subjective. Especially coming from someone that advocates jailbreaking. So. No. I don't want what you perceive to be better.

Whoever is in charge of Apple has sold 300 million IOS devices. Not 1.7 million.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Out of that 1.7 million I wonder how many:

A) knackered up their devices

and

B) Tried it for 10mins then restored back to stock.

Reason I say this is because a lot of people I know have jailbroken only to return it to stock after seeing what all the fuss is about.

Sorry but given that the entire process involves plugging your iphone into a usb port and clicking jailbreak, you'd have to be a brain dead chimp to fail.

People should only jailbreak if they want to add functionality - thats the purpose of it. You doing jailbreak just for the fun of it.

mikey1951

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2012
Amazingly informative post!

As many have, above and below your post, explained their reasons, they make it interesting for those of us who don't know much about JB.

Your post...not so much.:rolleyes:

I'm like you I did a jb on my phone for the first time could not figure out what to do now that I had and put it back to the way it was before I did the jb.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Everything is subjective. Especially coming from someone that advocates jailbreaking. So. No. I don't want what you perceive to be better.

With respect...what's your problem? Why are you being so argumentative over people jailbreaking? Is it somehow damaging your life?

If people want to jailbreak, they are free to do so. Just because you dont understand it, that doesnt make it bad.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
With respect...what's your problem? Why are you being so argumentative over people jailbreaking? Is it somehow damaging your life?

If people want to jailbreak, they are free to do so. Just because you dont understand it, that doesnt make it bad.

I agree. they can do what they want.

Feel better ?

:)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.