Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wakuman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
I recently got mugged and lost my macbook air.

Bought a 2nd hand 13-inch macbook air from a friend's friend's friend. Everything was fine.

"About This Mac" shows 1.8GHz Intel Core i7 with 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Ram and 256 GB SSD.

After purchase, and after I online. About This Mac show 11-inch, Mid 2011.

png.gif

I am very sure the info here is incorrect because this is a 13-inch. The serial Number is also false. even the processor turns out to be inaccurate. I have opened up the macbook air myself and I am sure of it.

I don't really mind all that now. But I want to correct the info on About This Mac. I've clean format the mac using external thumb drive, but all the info is still inaccurate. can anyone teach me how to correct it?

I know how to change the About This Mac by editing AboutThisMac.strings but this is not what i want to achieve as it is not real. Can anyone help me to reset the Info back to its REAL Info?

Please and thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-06 at 4.44.26 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-06 at 4.44.26 AM.png
    98.6 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I recently got mugged and lost my macbook air.

Bought a 2nd hand 13-inch macbook air from a friend's friend's friend. Everything was fine.

"About This Mac" shows 1.8GHz Intel Core i7 with 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 Ram and 256 GB SSD.

After purchase, and after I online. About This Mac show 11-inch, Mid 2011.

I am very sure the info here is incorrect because this is a 13-inch. The serial Number is also false. even the processor turns out to be inaccurate. I have opened up the macbook air myself and I am sure of it.

I don't really mind all that now. But I want to correct the info on About This Mac. I've clean format the mac using external thumb drive, but all the info is still inaccurate. can anyone teach me how to correct it?

I know how to change the About This Mac by editing AboutThisMac.strings but this is not what i want to achieve as it is not real. Can anyone help me to reset the Info back to its REAL Info?

Please and thanks in advance.

If the spec is OK, it may have just had the wrong serial number put in during a repair. It can happen.

wakuman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
Hold apple-R at boot and restore the system. You never know what bad stuff can be lurking inside.

I've already formatted the Mac twice using my own thumb drive Mountain Lion. Is this different? or the same?

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I've already formatted the Mac twice using my own thumb drive Mountain Lion. Is this different? or the same?

Well, is it an 11 inch or 13 inch computer?

What do you see in System Report?

wakuman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
If the spec is OK, it may have just had the wrong serial number put in during a repair. It can happen.

The spec is not right. This macbook air is actually a 1.7GHz i5. not 1.8ghz i7. I did consider the serial number scenario as you suspected but I am not sure if that will effect the information on the following information

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-06 at 4.54.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-06 at 4.54.59 AM.png
    76.5 KB · Views: 113

wakuman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
Actual Spec: 13inch, 1.7GHz i5, 4GB Ram, 256GB SSD.

System profiler shows: 11inch, 1.8GHz i7, 4GB Ram, 256GB SSD. system profiler also shows wrong serial number.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
It's detecting the resolution correctly for a 13".

It uses the serial number to determine which model to show. The last 3 digits of that serial will be of an 11" air - hence why it thinks it's an 11". That can happen during repair, and there's nothing to worry about. As for the specs - no idea why they're incorrect - are you *sure* you have an i5 - how did you check?

The specs are picked up from the hardware itself.

wakuman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
If you did indeed reinstall the OS via thumbdrive and the system profiler says 11 In. then you have an 11 In. MBA.

Have you tried to measure it like I suggested ?

my wife is using a 11 inch macbook air. she is with me now.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Actual Spec: 13inch, 1.7GHz i5, 4GB Ram, 256GB SSD.

System profiler shows: 11inch, 1.8GHz i7, 4GB Ram, 256GB SSD. system profiler also shows wrong serial number.

It sounds like the logic board got replaced at some point with the board from an 11 inch, though I would not expect that was possible.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
It sounds like the logic board got replaced at some point with the board from an 11 inch, though I would not expect that was possible.

It's not, somebody just put the wrong serial number in.

Paste this into terminal, and show us what it says:

system_profiler | grep "Processor"

----------

Sorry man but until you physically measure it I'm going to have to conclude this is a trolling thread.

It's 13" - you can see from the resolution. I think he has an i7 and not an i5 though.

He thinks he has an i5 13". What he has is an i7 13" with the serial number (from a repair) of a 13".

wakuman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
It's detecting the resolution correctly for a 13".

It uses the serial number to determine which model to show. The last 3 digits of that serial will be of an 11" air - hence why it thinks it's an 11". That can happen during repair, and there's nothing to worry about. As for the specs - no idea why they're incorrect - are you *sure* you have an i5 - how did you check?

The specs are picked up from the hardware itself.

My tech friend opened the laptop and saw the processor to be i5.

The serial at the bottom and inside this mac is totally different.

is there any way i can change the serial to try?

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
My tech friend opened the laptop and saw the processor to be i5.

The serial at the bottom and inside this mac is totally different.

is there any way i can change the serial to try?

So he took the heatsink off? Your friend is BS'ing. That command I posted will tell you what's in there.

You can't change the serial number.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
It's not, somebody just put the wrong serial number in.

Paste this into terminal, and show us what it says:

system_profiler | grep "Processor"

----------

It's 13" - you can see from the resolution. I think he has an i7 and not an i5 though.

He thinks he has an i5 13". What he has is an i7 13" with the serial number (from a repair) of a 13".

Ok. Thanks. I was wrong.

Perhaps the display was replaced ?

wakuman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
Please help ~

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-06 at 5.11.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-06 at 5.11.38 AM.png
    67.5 KB · Views: 195

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012
I'm not sure about this. I did find ways to put it serial number if that field is null.

You can only change the serial number of a blank board - one that hasn't had a serial number before.

You used to be able to, but it's no longer possible.

wakuman

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 5, 2013
You can only change the serial number of a blank board - one that hasn't had a serial number before.

You used to be able to, but it's no longer possible.

Can authorised Apple technician change it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.