Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krauser

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
Alright so I've had the jailbreak for about 24 hours now. No real issues besides the Weather app not opening (which should be fixed soon apparently as the devs say they know why it is happening so we're just waiting on it to be pushed to Cydia as a package update). Other than that, I've had the phone get stuck on the Apple logo and not boot. To fix it, you have to hard reset (home button+power button). If that doesn't work, others have stated that if you do a hard reset WHILE the iPhone is plugged into a computer with iTunes running, it will boot properly (not DFU mode either, just a normal reset while it's plugged in).

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Pandora Skip works fine for me. I got the one from xsellize source

would you mind sharing the source? :)

EDIT: xSellize Repo
cydia.xsellize.com/

I get stuck on downloading packages :/

EDIT 2: I got one from the BigBoss repo and it looks to be working fine! Before they were crashing my Pandora. Weird!

Jailbreak is worth it again!

Last edited:

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
I've tried this as well - iTunes tells me that it's unable to restore. Thanks though...

borrow a windows machine...
download the official IPSW and use that to restore your phone on the windows machine running itunes. For some reason I've always had issues restoring an official firmware on a IOS device on my MacBooks, but always works in windows.

After the restore, disconnect from windows machine and restore it on your mac to restore your previous backup (which I hope you did)

jpcarro

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2009
On your nine
It's an anti piracy feature. Try buying the paid version.

I just bought Auxo this morning and I see the cards disappearing problem too.

----------

Thanks for the suggestion. Had a look at Locktopus, but seem I would need to lock around 50 apps to make my phone 100% kidproof, then I'd need a password every time I wanted to use one of these apps myself.

Still, the signs are there that one day someone will create user profiles for the iphone. It's feasible now & the demand is there.

I've used both Locktopus and AppLocker and prefer AppLocker, but can't get it from Cydia yet.

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
POSIX: Connection refused
POSIX: Operation timed out

Really, guys? Really?
Cydia Repos are still getting hammered?
This is worse than with any other jailbreak before.

No. I've seen it take DAYS to get back to normal. It's been right at ONE day as of now.

Bheleu

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2010
Failed to read all this yesterday...

Really looking forward to Siri. Got to see what all changes are there from 5.1 because now I care.

YouTube have ads now???

bilboa

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
free apps

...yet no one will ever admit to that on these forums. They will all claim sb settings or theming:rolleyes:

I think it's funny how people who pirate apps always feel a need to post on here proclaiming that everyone else must be doing it too whether they admit it or not. I jailbreak and so do several people I know, and no one I know does it to pirate apps. Given how cheap 99% of iOS apps are, and how expensive iPhones are, I would assume most people who can afford an iPhone can easily afford to buy whatever apps they want. Therefore I have to assume that most of the people who would go to the trouble of jailbreaking just to steal $1 and $5 apps must be kids whose parents paid for their iPhone, but who only have a very limited allowance for buying apps.

bombo

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
Some users have reported fixing Weather app by deleting
com.apple.mobile.installation.plist &
com.apple.LaunchServices-045.csstore from /var/mobile/Library/Caches/
Then rebooting
I am sure a cydia fix will be released soon

Alright so I've had the jailbreak for about 24 hours now. No real issues besides the Weather app not opening (which should be fixed soon apparently as the devs say they know why it is happening so we're just waiting on it to be pushed to Cydia as a package update). Other than that, I've had the phone get stuck on the Apple logo and not boot. To fix it, you have to hard reset (home button+power button). If that doesn't work, others have stated that if you do a hard reset WHILE the iPhone is plugged into a computer with iTunes running, it will boot properly (not DFU mode either, just a normal reset while it's plugged in).

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I think it's funny how people who pirate apps always feel a need to post on here proclaiming that everyone else must be doing it too whether they admit it or not. I jailbreak and so do several people I know, and no one I know does it to pirate apps. Given how cheap 99% of iOS apps are, and how expensive iPhones are, I would assume most people who can afford an iPhone can easily afford to buy whatever apps they want. Therefore I have to assume that most of the people who would go to the trouble of jailbreaking just to steal $1 and $5 apps must be kids whose parents paid for their iPhone, but who only have a very limited allowance for buying apps.

Except I don't jailbreak so nice try

Also, there are many examples of devs noting how many users are running illegitimate copies (I had posted numerous links before on this topic that tend to get ignored by the likes who live in denial). Simple google searches support that cracked apps are very prevalent on jailbroken devices.

At any rate, I applaud you for not being a theif.

sent from mobile device

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY

Same here, I pirated a few things when I was in my teens, back in the Napster days.

I am in my 30's now and there is nothing on my computer or iPhone that is a pirated copy, and it's been at least 15 years since I have downloaded a pirate copy of anything. Even my jailbroken apps, the ones that cost money I paid for.(I know there are repos that have them free, but I don't touch them).

----------

Also, there are many examples of devs noting how many users are running illegitimate copies (I had posted numerous links before on this topic). Simple google searches support that cracked apps are very prevalent on jailbroken devices.

sent from mobile device

Though you assume if others jailbreak they are pirating. It's not the case for all jailbreakers. Maybe you should jailbreak and see what it's all about. There are plenty of things on there, you might turn yourself into a permanent jailbreaker.

jamesryanbell

macrumors 68020
Mar 17, 2009
Even though I don't use tethering (really don't have the need). I do agree with you. If you're paying for a set amount of data, it shouldn't matter what device you use it on. Sharing it with another device doesn't mean he's getting double the data for half the price. For those who have unlimited, I feel the same way. You're still getting throttled when you reach 5gb on AT&T. Doesn't matter how the 5gb was used, you're getting throttled, and will remain at a slower speed until the next billing cycle.

I understand that it violates AT&T's TOS or whatever, but it isn't anything even remotely close to "theft", when you're not using any more than what you've already paid for.

My last post got quoted a lot. This the only post that matters. Right on.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Though you assume if others jailbreak they are pirating. It's not the case for all jailbreakers. Maybe you should jailbreak and see what it's all about. There are plenty of things on there, you might turn yourself into a permanent jailbreaker.

I tried it in the days when I had my 3g. Not for me. Caused more issues than it was worth for me personally

I would argue a decent amt of jailbreak pirate. Even if it's 10% (and I would argue quite a bit more from what I have read online)

sent from mobile device

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I tried it in the days when I had my 3g. Not for me. Caused more issues than it was worth for me personally

I would argue a decent amt of jailbreak pirate. Even if it's 10% (and I would argue quite a bit more from what I have read online)

sent from mobile device

You're probably right, I would imagine a large number of jailbreakers do. Especially teens, and people under 25 years old. I am sure even older people do. Unfortunately I guess I will have to live with being stereotyped as someone who pirates apps, because I want SBsettings and a few other things.

Back before Apple allowed MMS, I used swirlyMMS. I continued to use it until last year just so that I could reply to a sender without having to reply to everyone in the group.

As Apple adds feature I am using less and less JB apps, but until they allow SBsettings, or something like it in their notification center I will JB.

My wife wants her phone jailbroke for just SBsettings as well. That's her only tweak, and I don't blame her.

morphineseason

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
So, it's pretty much been since the early iPhone 4 days since I last had a jailbroken device. After a day of using Cydia again on the iPhone 5, I just don't see much of a reason for it anymore. About the only tweak I really care for is f.lux because it lets me fix the slightly-too-blue tint of my phone's screen, but even that isn't a big enough reason for me to keep it.

I did mainly want to jailbreak again so I could use the $20 copy of MyWi that I purchased when iOS 5 was out, just to find out that they now charge $5 just to upgrade your copy to the iOS 6 compatible version. Thanks but no thanks. I'll keep the stability and reliability of vanilla iOS. I predict most of the big tweaks (Auxo, biteSMS, NCSettings) will see some form of official implementation in iOS 7 or 8 anyways.

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
i understand now... so some of the tweaks i might come across also have to be paid for correct? so its a business within a business.... and would that mean since it is jailbroken you cant pay for it through the app store which means you have to reput your credit card info thus giving cydia access to that information?

I think you can pay with PayPal or Amazon, so Cydia doesn't get your credit card info.

----------

Funny thing, you can even pirate the apps that cost money on Cydia.

Leggo.

This is true, and pretty funny, but it's the risk of doing business on an open platform of sorts. It's ironic in the same way as people pirating Little Snitch and then using it to block their pirating apps from phoning home.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Are you just talking about gps apps, or something else?

That's sort of the standing question. The poster we're discussing wanted 'precise GPS data', that apparently can't be gotten without jailbreaking. We have no idea what he's referring to, since quite a bit of data which fits that vague description can be gotten *without* jailbreaking.

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
I'm having a problem where the Auxo app cards intermittently disappear, then when I close/reopen the switcher, they're back. Yours doing this?

Mine did that as well, it required a reinstall and it started working correctly (even though it seems to lose card images after so many were open)

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
I don't like voiding my warranty, but I'm willing to for the improved functionality.
But you're right that I'll rationalize not paying AT&T an extra $20 per month for something that I already pay $100 per month. I pay for my data connection on my iPhone. Being able to use that data connection to DL email on my iPad via a tether is A-ok by me.
You're wrong in your rude assumption that I laugh at anyone about it.

So knowingly and willfully violating the terms of a contract is "A-ok" by you, but you call it a 'rude assumption' to think that you might not want to pay for the software you want to use?

Either way, remind me never to be involved in a contract that you're party to. :rolleyes:

caliwolv

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
There seems to be, but it's listed as 'experimental'. Do try it out though, and let us know if it's working ;)

http://v.backspace.jp/repo

https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16747763#post16747763

I've installed, reinstalled, reset network settings, etc and not working for me yet on iPhone 5 GSM/6.1

----------

Some users have reported fixing Weather app by deleting
com.apple.mobile.installation.plist &
com.apple.LaunchServices-045.csstore from /var/mobile/Library/Caches/
Then rebooting
I am sure a cydia fix will be released soon

Fixer for evasi0n jailbreak on v.backspace.jp/repo

bilboa

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008

Also, there are many examples of devs noting how many users are running illegitimate copies (I had posted numerous links before on this topic that tend to get ignored by the likes who live in denial). Simple google searches support that cracked apps are very prevalent on jailbroken devices.

At any rate, I applaud you for not being a theif.

sent from mobile device

I'm not denying that people pirate apps. I'm just denying your claim that most people who jailbreak are doing it to pirate apps. Lacking any actual statistics, your reasoning seems to be that you don't see any other good reason to jailbreak, but I think that just shows your lack of knowledge of the kinds of apps and tweaks that are available only by jailbreaking. You also mentioned that you think jailbreaking causes "more issues than it was worth", which again makes me think you may not be aware of how simple and reliable the jailbreaking process has gotten.

In my case I jailbreak for

• Folder Enhancer, which lets me put more than 16 items in a folder
  • SBSettings, which allows me to access commonly accessed settings instantly without having to switch to the Settings app. Changing the brightness is probably the most common one for me. Apple finally added this in the iPad's double-tap menu, but not the on the iPhone.
  • iBlacklist, which lets me block calls and messages. Yes, I know iOS 6 finally added the Do Not Disturb feature, but that is still far less configurable than iBlacklist
  • Allows me to use PhoneView from my computer to access the complete contents of my phone from my computer, including text messages, call logs, notes, voice memos, etc.
  • Zephyr, which lets me use gestures to switch apps on the iPhone similar to what's possible on the iPad.

I recently upgraded my phone to iOS 6 to get some of the other new features, and so have had to do without jailbreak for a while, and I really missed some of these features, especially SBSettings, Zephyr, and Folder Enhancer. My point is that there are lots of attractive reasons to jailbreak other than stealing $1 apps. So you might want to consider that before pulling statistics out of the air about what percentage of jailbreakers pirate apps.

shanezam203

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2011
Chicago
Very straight forward jailbreaking process, was able to do it quickly after work, apps are starting to install after the stress from Cydia has been reduced some. Still waiting for Google Voice Extender and GV Phone Extender to be updated, then my Jail Break will be complete.

jrayino

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2013
App

Is there still a source that can be added within cydia to allow free in-game purchases within apps?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.