Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts
What reason?

I have not and will not jailbreak my iPhones or iPad, so I don't have any hands-on experience. But once you jailbreak, is it possible to get normally-paid apps for free? If so, that would be a reason to not jailbreak in my mind, as it's stealing. But if it's to access a world of system tweaks and capabilities that are not possible through the AppStore, then fine. But is this jailbreak-community trying to circumvent Apple's annual developer fees? That would be wrong. Apple built this ecosystem, they deserve to receive revenue to keep it strong and healthy. Freeloaders can go to Android. Just curious... please enlighten me.

Yes, one can use it to "steal" pirated apps. But a majority of us do it for the personal customization that Apple believes shouldn't be made available to their customers. If you could see first-hand what can be done when the Apple Wall is torn down, you'd be impressed.

bogatyr

macrumors 65816
Mar 13, 2012
Stop comparing and just look at the number. People are simple stating that 1.7M people jailbreaking is significant. And it is. On what planet does nearly 2M installs in ONE DAY not constitute a significant install base?

There are phones out there that don't even sell that many in total.

Yes - by comparison - vs the # of sold iPhones it's not HUGE. But you also have to remember what % of owners could give two craps in general (IE own an iPhone because its an iPhone) vs those that are more "hardcore"

You have to have perspective, otherwise the number has no meaning. If it was 2 million of 3 million, that would be significant. Hell, even 2 million of 50 million. Yet, we know there are several hundred million devices out there. This is a drop in the bucket.

The masses don't care about jailbreaking is what this says to me. I, on the other hand, do. I jailbroke my iPhone 5 and iPad Mini - not for UI customizations... solely for SFTP and Git usage. Other than those two items, my phone won't be changed.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
1.7M in one day. You can imagine how many will be jailbroken after a month.

5, maybe 8 million tops, at a guess.

There are very, very few casual jailbreakers. Most of them have been waiting, and not very patiently, for this and evasi0n's hype across the net has made sure they were aware as soon as it was available.

superfula

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2002
Yes, one can use it to "steal" pirated apps. But a majority of us do it for the personal customization that Apple believes shouldn't be made available to their customers. If you could see first-hand what can be done when the Apple Wall is torn down, you'd be impressed.

That's a claim that can't be substantiated. And frankly I think it's just a pipe dream.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
1.7M in one day. You can imagine how many will be jailbroken after a month.

Probably about 2.5-3M tops, and the number won't climb much from there.

That's less than 1% of *all* iOS devices sold, about 1% of all devices that had been upgraded to iOS 6 (~300M as of a while back), or about 6% of what was sold *last quarter*. Compared to the first day of iOS 6.1 upgrades, and it's *still* pocket change.

Jailbreaking is a niche market at best. There's nothing *wrong* with it, and I'm sure people find it useful for a variety of reasons, but don't conflate that with actually being a significant portion of the general iOS population, any more than the MacRumors posters are a significant portion of Mac users.

Last edited:

achtung!

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2005
Portugal
Name 10 (everyone).

simple:
1. the ability to "hide" the native apps that i dont use, like stocks, weather, NEWSSTAND,...
2. with one swipe up, i can close all my background apps (in the application switcher);
3. with a swipe down, i can close any specific app (in the application switcher);
4. the ability to ignore/hide app updates (when they no longer support your device or iOS);
5. customize gestures for a given task. like replacing the home-button's function with a gesture;
6. camera: add the ability to do time lapse or a timer. You can even set a custom frame rate, aspect ratio and resolution while shooting video.
7. add the ability to make googlemaps the default maps app on the device;
8. i can backup and/or reuse all my saved games across all my devices;
9. move multiple items at a time, in the home screen;
10. transform my device into a hotspot with no extra charges, videochating and download heavy files (>20mb) through 3g...
11. attach more than 5 photos to an email;

im not talking about customizing fonts or stuff. i am talking about productivity and ease of use. simple things that speed up my flow and minimize my frustration. cheers.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
What reason?

I have not and will not jailbreak my iPhones or iPad, so I don't have any hands-on experience. But once you jailbreak, is it possible to get normally-paid apps for free? If so, that would be a reason to not jailbreak in my mind, as it's stealing. But if it's to access a world of system tweaks and capabilities that are not possible through the AppStore, then fine. But is this jailbreak-community trying to circumvent Apple's annual developer fees? That would be wrong. Apple built this ecosystem, they deserve to receive revenue to keep it strong and healthy. Freeloaders can go to Android. Just curious... please enlighten me.

(Not the OP but got to correct you)
Jailbreaking installs cydia. It does not give you the ability to install paid apps for free. Cydia is a repository library. So for example you can add another repository, which lets you install more (free) apps from different locations. Sadly, yes, someone has created a repository (Which does not come with Cydia, and Cydia does not condone) which contains an app to install modified IPA files.

Cydia on its own is designed to allow you to install non-appstore apps and tweaks on your phone. For example you can install a tweak that lets you set the default app to open stuff with, so email links could be opened with Chrome, etc. Other handy tweaks include things like:

- AdBlock
- Teathering
- A tweak to make apps think they are running on Wifi when they are on 3G
- Themes for iOS
- Add stuff to your lockscreen (e.g twitter feeds, rss feeds, emails, weather, stocks, etc)
- Disable that annoying 'unsupported accessory' notice
- Ditch coverflow
- Youtube video downloader
- Open all maps in Google Maps
- Vertical scroll homescreen

etc

and no. The cydia store isnt designed to circumvent annual developer fees. Its to release stuff that Apple wont allow in the AppStore (like the default app tweak).

Thinking that Jailbreaking is for freeloaders is completely wrong in most cases. Sure there are a few bad eggs, but that exists everywhere, even on Android. There are actually also paid apps on Cydia that you can buy via Google Checkout or PayPal IIRC. But again, these are not stollen from the appstore or anything - they are tweaks exclusive to Cydia.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Here's an interesting article of why some people do it.

Thanks for the link. I read the article and found it interesting.

JB is not for me, I'm perfectly happy with the ringtones, wallpaper, apps, etc. within the Apple ecosystem. But then, when it comes to my Apple devices...I'm easy to please.

I can understand the desire to JB...just not for me.:D

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Jailbreaking installs cydia. It does not give you the ability to install paid apps for free. Cydia is a repository library. So for example you can add another repository, which lets you install more (free) apps from different locations. Sadly, yes, someone has created a repository (Which does not come with Cydia, and Cydia does not condone) which contains an app to install modified IPA files.

Cydia on its own is designed to allow you to install non-appstore apps and tweaks on your phone. For example you can install a tweak that lets you set the default app to open stuff with, so email links could be opened with Chrome, etc. Other handy tweaks include things like:

- AdBlock
- Teathering
- Themes for iOS
- Add stuff to your lockscreen (e.g twitter feeds, rss feeds, emails, weather, stocks, etc)
- Ditch coverflow

etc

and no. The cydia store isnt designed to circumvent annual developer fees. Its to release stuff that Apple wont allow in the AppStore (like the default app tweak).

Thinking that Jailbreaking is for freeloaders is completely wrong in most cases. Sure there are a few bad eggs, but that exists everywhere, even on Android.

Why doesn't cydia keep that other repository from being installed ?

If they do nothing to stop it. There are in essence condoning it.

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
No that was unlocking, and its only in the US. Jailbreaking is 100% legal and is a completely different thing.

Exactly. Jailbreaking iss a necessary step in the process of Unlocking, but they are not the same thing.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Why doesn't cydia keep that other repository from being installed ?

If they do nothing to stop it. There are in essence condoning it.

Lets say they blocked a repo (Which is essentially just a domain - anyone can create one). The developer of the repo will just move it, and it'll work again, then cydia has to release another update, then it gets moved again, etc.

Dont forget Cydia is a 1 man team and he does it in his spare time. IIRC he did try combatting it once but it became futile.

Read this: http://modmyi.com/forums/general-ip...l-sources-like-xsellize-sinfuliphonerepo.html

You could argue that Apple are condoning piracy by allowing you to play movies from outside iTunes. At the end of the day its not their responsibility to monitor that kind of stuff.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
With something like 500 million iOS devices out there, jailbreakers account for less than 1% of all users.

Don't get me wrong - it's still millions of people, so it's a real phenomenon and it's here to stay. But it's never going to represent a substantial proportion of users.
Not because more people don't want it, but because few have the knowledge to pull it off. My wife loves her iPhone that I JB for her, but she'd never now how to go about it herself. Even my friends don't have a clue, but love the HTC lockscreen widget they see on mine. You can bet if you could get a JB from iTunes (or things that a JB gives), there'd be 100 million doing it.

Are you paying attention Apple?

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Ok, a few of those look interesting, but the first two Activator short cuts you list make turning your volume all the way up/down a pain in comparison. And PasswordPilot (automatically enter your iTunes password!) is just a *BAD* idea to begin with. :eek:

And that's the point of jailbreaking. Lets people customize their device to how they want. You may not like some of the changes but other do.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

- AdBlock
- Teathering
- Themes for iOS
- Ditch coverflow
- Open all maps in Google Maps
- Vertical scroll homescreen

etc

Thinking that Jailbreaking is for freeloaders is completely wrong in most cases. Sure there are a few bad eggs, but that exists everywhere, even on Android. There are actually also paid apps on Cydia that you can buy via Google Checkout or PayPal IIRC. But again, these are not stollen from the appstore or anything - they are tweaks exclusive to Cydia.

Um, not to nit pick, but you don't have to JB to get Adblock...it's a Safari Extension.

OK, so it's nit picking!!:D

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Lets say they blocked a repo (Which is essentially just a domain - anyone can create one). The developer of the repo will just move it, and it'll work again, then cydia has to release another update, then it gets moved again, etc.

Dont forget Cydia is a 1 man team and he does it in his spare time. IIRC he did try combatting it once but it became futile.

Read this: http://modmyi.com/forums/general-ip...l-sources-like-xsellize-sinfuliphonerepo.html

You could argue that Apple are condoning piracy by allowing you to play movies from outside iTunes. At the end of the day its not their responsibility to monitor that kind of stuff.

Interesting read.

It seems very easy to install cracked apps for free. And he doesn't care that much.

Apple does.

Go for it man. I don't really care what JB's do with their devices. Personally I'd rather keep root access to my iPhone to what Apple allows.

I've jailbroken a couple of devices and I just don't like it. To me it's just trashy and inconsistent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.