Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nova Sensei

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2012
Hey guys,

Apparently Empire Total War requires a 2.0ghz CPU. The standard 2012 MBA has a 1.8ghz CPU but can turbo boost above that.

So, my question is, can the 2012 MBA run Empire Total War?

Thanks in advance :)

Edit - I should probably add that I would like to play in OSX. No desire to Bootcamp.

Last edited:
Edit - I should probably add that I would like to play in OSX. No desire to Bootcamp.

Above noted & I've yet to get the Mac version as I'm waiting for DVD version release.

FWIW, for anyone else considering playing it in Bootcamp, here's Empire TW running on MacBook Air in ultra settings. Some inevitable lags at those settings, but looks great:

Specs
1.8 GHz Intel Core i7-2677M
Intel HD Graphics 3000
4gb RAM
256gb SSD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcoFCUdsMig

tonyshaker

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2012
NO IT Works Well

I have a 2011 mac book air its the i5 core 1.7 4gb ram and intel graphics 3000

it works great on medium settings but if you want to put it on high or very high graphics
it will not allow you unless the computer is capable to satisfy these settings but the fan will go crazy when you play.

I have a 2011 mac book air its the i5 core 1.7 4gb ram and intel graphics 3000

it works great on medium settings but if you want to put it on high or very high graphics
it will not allow you unless the computer is capable to satisfy these settings but the fan will go crazy when you play.

I can well imagine what you describe if playing the Mac version in very high or ultra settings in OS X, due to drivers being optimised for the original Windows native version.

The guy who posted the linked video claims he's running it on a MacBook Air same specs as yours, but it's the Windows version in Bootcamp.

Nova Sensei

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2012
Thanks guys for your replies - much appreciated.

Coming from an Xbox 360, I'd be quite happy with low settings and a solid framerate. Once my MBA arrives I'll take one for the team and give it a try in OSX. Will report back on how it goes.

dwynnejr

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2009
So, i just got a brand new air, 8 ram, but the 1.7 processor. anyone have any experience running this with this type of rig?

Nova Sensei

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2012
So, i just got a brand new air, 8 ram, but the 1.7 processor. anyone have any experience running this with this type of rig?

Hi Dynnejr,

Sorry, but contrary to by bold statement above regarding "taking one for the team", I never did pick up a Total War game for my Air (same model as you).

I'm a bit short on App store credit at the moment, so don't think i'll be trying it in the near future.

As an aside, I'm loving the MBA for non-game related tasks, it's a great tool. But for gaming, man....just awful so far. I guess that's more an OSX thing than an MBA thing though.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Hey guys,

Apparently Empire Total War requires a 2.0ghz CPU. The standard 2012 MBA has a 1.8ghz CPU but can turbo boost above that.

So, my question is, can the 2012 MBA run Empire Total War?

Thanks in advance :)

Yes it will run, you will not be able to run max settings and you can get the odd slowdown but the SSD in the Air means you should be OK. That said officially you cannot get support, unofficially we know a few people play on the Air and we have played it on the BTO 2GHz Air here (supported) and the 1.8 will be pretty close to that in terms of performance.

Nova Sensei

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2012
Yes it will run, you will not be able to run max settings and you can get the odd slowdown but the SSD in the Air means you should be OK. That said officially you cannot get support, unofficially we know a few people play on the Air and we have played it on the BTO 2GHz Air here (supported) and the 1.8 will be pretty close to that in terms of performance.

Thanks, appreciate the info :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.