Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aiisinc

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2010
I received a TOD so have embark in finding a way to hold on to unlimited data with out AT&T being able to see any tethering data. Two prevailing theories are some combination of TTL & APN settings. MyWii, more so then PDANet lvl 1&2, and TetherMe are getting tagged. Earlier part of thread just used one entry of 55 (17+32+4+2)
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/10752408/
While other suggest keeping the split and removing the individual broadband entry. Is there a difference between broadband (32) and tethering (32)? Is it indentified by the single entry while tethering is the addition of 32 to phone? If you think of it in term of quality of service voice low latencey small packets while broadband high bandwidth long latency they my be using the apn as a service indentifier? What about making phone 32 or 38 (32+4+2)?

JayHD

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2011
Has anyone that has used the commcenter hack gotten the text from AT&T?

Is there any advantage to using Tetherme or PDAnet over this method, other than ease of use?

deano546

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2010
Has anyone got this to work with iOS5 (Beta 2)? I tried the editing method but the tethering option disappears in settings.

pagaille

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2011
Working for me as well (3GS, iOS 4.3.2) ! Really a cool thing.

Two notes :

1. The carrier.plist file was a binary plist file (if edited, it begins by something like bplist00x and then binary garbage). I had to convert it using this command :

Code:
plutil -convert xml1 carrier.plist

I didn't had to convert it back to binary before uploading it to my iPhone.

2. For my carrier, Mobistar (Belgium), the type-mask 53 works.

Thanks for the OP and all the contributors !

Pagaille

lethe

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2007
I suppose it would be silly to ask whether this hack will be made to work on iOS 6, given that queries regarding iOS 5 were never answered?

caliwolv

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
I was just hunting around for this thread.. Thanks for bumping it with an update.. One of the few threads that is nice to see around here right now.

For anyone that's interested- it looks like this lovely little hack has been updated for ios6. :)

This is the only reason I 'jailbreak' so am very happy to see this!

http://v.backspace.jp/repo/r/?ios5.commcenter.patch

After that is installed, do you need to install an updated carrier bundle or should personal hotspot be available immediately, is there one that isn't going to destroy LTE?

declandio

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
London, UK
After that is installed, do you need to install an updated carrier bundle or should personal hotspot be available immediately, is there one that isn't going to destroy LTE?

Once you install this, you have to download a plist file from your handset and manually edit it, then re-upload it. Then reset network settings. Start at the beginning of the thread, there's some 'how to' stuff...

(pasted from page 1)

Option 2 if editing:
Quote:
9. browse to /System/Library/Carrier Bundes/your_carrier.bundle/

10. Download your carrier.plist file from your iPhone and save a copy of this original file, just in case.

11. Open the downloaded carrier.plist in your favorite text editor

12. Under APNS->APN look for something with your carriers WAP settings. Change the type mask integer from 4 to 53 - which should change allowing MMS to MMS, data and tethering. A explanation of these numbers is here. If this does not work, play around with the numbers until something works for your specific carrier.

13. save the file to a different location and replace the file on your phone.

14. On your iPhone, open Settings / General / Reset and reset your network settings.

EDIT- or, like you say- upload a carrier bundle if you can find one for your network...

Last edited:

Vivid5500

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2010
So looks like the tweak was updated since the post yesterday and it indicated iPhone 5 GSM 6.1 was supported. I tried installing and it works great.

The problem is the carrier bundle. Before the apns setting in the plist file was a dictionary with 4 values. Typemask were simple values in the stock ATT bundle but now they look like this:

Does this make any sense? Last time I was able to remove the 4th group and put in 49, 2, 4 for phone, acds.voicemail and wap.cingular.

la79

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2011
So looks like the tweak was updated since the post yesterday and it indicated iPhone 5 GSM 6.1 was supported. I tried installing and it works great.

The problem is the carrier bundle. Before the apns setting in the plist file was a dictionary with 4 values. Typemask were simple values in the stock ATT bundle but now they look like this:

Does this make any sense? Last time I was able to remove the 4th group and put in 49, 2, 4 for phone, acds.voicemail and wap.cingular.

Would be interested in knowing if you find out how to enable it.

caliwolv

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008

The only advice I have is don't use the APNs from unlockit.co.nz ;) I installed the ATT profile (wap.cingular one) and it threw a whole bunch of app icons on my home screen (iAd, iAd opt-out, iOS Diagnostics, Setup (which launched me through iPhone initial setup) and about 10 others - and still didn't work ;) The icons did disappear after removing the profile however.

Last edited:

declandio

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
London, UK

Not sure how much this is network dependant, but on O2 UK, I used to use 55 as the type mask and it worked like a charm. I haven't tried this since upgrading to iPhone 5- but will probay give it a go this weekend (have yet to jail break the phone). Will post back if it works...

Von-Pearsus

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2013
Success

I can confirm this works on Sprint. Running iPhone 5 on 6.1. Use iExplorer to extract the carrier.plist, edit with TextWrangler, and re-instert .plist back into iPhone.

I changed the n.ispsn type-mask from 7 to 55.

la79

macrumors regular
Dec 27, 2011
I can confirm this works on Sprint. Running iPhone 5 on 6.1. Use iExplorer to extract the carrier.plist, edit with TextWrangler, and re-instert .plist back into iPhone.

I changed the n.ispsn type-mask from 7 to 55.

Would you happen to have a recent graphical table of APN values? There used to be one on Iphone Wiki here (at the bottom of the page):

http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/Carrier_Bundle

However it was removed and I cannot find it. I believe they have changed with the release of the Iphone 5 and LTE.

declandio

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
London, UK
Would you happen to have a recent graphical table of APN values? There used to be one on Iphone Wiki here (at the bottom of the page):

http://theiphonewiki.com/wiki/Carrier_Bundle

However it was removed and I cannot find it. I believe they have changed with the release of the Iphone 5 and LTE.

I saved that table in case it disappeared :)

No idea if it has changed in the meantime though.

Attachments

• 3.png
    3.png
    165.2 KB · Views: 221

healeydave

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
Can confirm this still works fine on GiffGaff in the UK (which piggy backs the O2 network).
I used type-mask 53 which is Tethering, MMS & DATA
I didn't bother with type-mask 55 (which is Tethering, MMS, VVM & DATA) because GiffGaff doesn't support Visual Voice Mail.
If your hacking the carrier bundle and using the native O2 network, I would suggest using type-mask 55.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.