Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CptSky

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2013
Yeah, I’m pretty sure linux is built on unix too. Just not as pretty :p

Linux is a Unix-like system. It isn't based on Unix and it doesn't conform to the Unix standard.

Mac OS X is based on BSD which is a Unix distribution. So, it's a Unix system... Since Mac OS X Snow Leopard, the system is conform to the Unix certification. iOS being based on Mac OS X, it's also a Unix system, but not certificated.

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
I don't care if they put this in as long as it's optional...

The last thing I want is to talk to my computer. Maybe if you live alone or have your own private office you might feel inclined, but I can't think of anything more annoying than someone shouting at their computer trying to get it to do something (and of course having to repeat it a few times). Do people not have anyone to talk to so now everyone wants to talk to their gadgets?

I don't know whether to hope that Apple doesn't change anything in 10.9 except adding Siri and Maps (both of which I can easily ignore) or whether I could dare to hope that Apple will actually work on making OS X better... ML is pretty solid IMO so maybe the best I can hope for in 10.9 is that they don't screw anything up...:eek:

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
I can see anything that can run 10.9 running Siri because it would be too easy to just download/create a hack to run it n "unsupported hardware". Unless Apple has some crazy "Super Gatekeeper X10" thing happening that restricts us to the MAS (which is highly unlikely). Plus if the did that no one would upgrade.

adnbek

macrumors 68000
Oct 22, 2011
Montreal, Quebec
AFAIK the first iPhone with Siri needed a special speech processing chip but desktop/laptop processors should be able to handle it on their own.

Incorrect. All speech processing is done through Apple's servers. There is no special "chip" needed. I had Siri running perfectly fine on my iPhone 4 until I upgraded to a 5.

MCIowaRulz

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2009
I sure hope that Mac OS X 10.9 uses the full dictation alal Dragon Dictate, I have handwriting issues and I prefer to "Talk" vs Type

bketchum

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2003
Grand Portage, Minnesota
I'm excited for this. I use my right hand on the mouse and my left hand on the keyboard. It would be great to have a third interface point - voice.

I think we could see a lot of exciting new uses for Siri if hooks are made available for third party apps to use Siri as well.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
I can't wait to see Siri on the Mac. I can appreciate that Siri has some limitations on iOS, but for the handful of things I use it for, it works very well.

What I want it to do, that I'm not sure it will, is control applications, search for and open files etc. And of course do it all contextually. For example, I can say open my Pro Tools session from last night--and she will do it.

What would be even better--though a privacy concern--would be the ability to simply say "Siri" and have 'her' ask how she can help, instead of pushing buttons.

I know it's just a minute or two of time savings, sometimes even less, but it will feel like everything is so much more efficient.

SILen(e

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
Incorrect. All speech processing is done through Apple's servers. There is no special "chip" needed. I had Siri running perfectly fine on my iPhone 4 until I upgraded to a 5.

Processing what you meant is done on Apple's servers, but processing the speech itself is mostly done on your device.

The Audience chip in the iPhone 4S was used to ignore noise in the recording.

I'd bet that in the same noisy spot, an iPhone 4S/iPhone 5 would have much better voice recognition than an iPhone 4 hacked to run Siri.

In a quiet room, recognition rates would most likely be the same.

That's also the reason why it is very likely that Siri on Mac will run on any Mac capable of running OS X 10.9 - because they aren't meant to be used in noisy environments (like railway platforms) and seldom will be used in those environments - so there's no need for special technology to boost the voice recognition rates in newer hardware.

And of course - voice recognition (the Siri dictation part) is already implemented, so unless Siri on Mac can do really amazing stuff that requires more computing power than available on a 2012 MacBook Air, there's no need for new hardware.

And IF it could do such things that require more hardware performance - i would gladly update, because that would change the whole way to interact with a desktop/notebook computer.

But i doubt that we'll see something like that in Siri's first OS X incarnation.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I'm pretty sure that Siri on Mac will NOT be exclusive to new Macs, and here's why:
1. Siri as an exclusive might be enough to sell $200 phones but not >$1000 Macs. Using it to sell a $20 OS sounds like it might be good enough.
2. I think that any hardware limitations that might've prevented Siri from being on older iPhones won't prevent it coming to older Macs. Why? Because I just dictated this sentence on my 2008 iMac and the speech recognition was just as good as Siri on my iPad 4. I believe it is because of the difference in processing power; AFAIK the first iPhone with Siri needed a special speech processing chip but desktop/laptop processors should be able to handle it on their own.

Siri is on the iPad mini and iPhone 4s but not the iPad 2...just saying, Apple is often full of BS when they claim hardware limitation on "older" hardware. Look how many people run Mountain Lion on "older unsupported" hardware without issue.

I could absolutley see this being excluded from anything older than 2011 machines.

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Look how many people run Mountain Lion on "older unsupported" hardware without issue.

I would love to know how this is possible. It won't even let me download it on my Mac mini 2,1. Heck, wouldn't let me download Lion until I upgraded my RAM.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
I would love to know how this is possible. It won't even let me download it on my Mac mini 2,1. Heck, wouldn't let me download Lion until I upgraded my RAM.

There is a huge thread here under the Mountain Lion forum. I would start there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.