Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScottishCaptain

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
Please, please please let this be the only new and exciting innovation in 10.9.

The rest of the operating system is rotting. We need a new filesystem. We need a working colour pipeline. We need a working audio subsystem (though, to be fair- that's been fixed in 10.8.3). We need better sandboxing technology that doesn't cripple applications.

I'm still on 10.6.8.

I would love nothing more then to be able to upgrade to 10.9 and know that everything is going to work, and that all the mistakes Apple has made in the past few years have been rectified and smoothed over.

Please, Apple, don't **** this one up. I'm so tired of waiting for the next version of OS X that is stable enough for production use.

-SC

coltman75

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Incorrect. All speech processing is done through Apple's servers. There is no special "chip" needed. I had Siri running perfectly fine on my iPhone 4 until I upgraded to a 5.

Incorrect. As has been proven before, the iPhone 4S and further do have special language processing in the hardware. This is so that it doesn't take as long to transmit the data and its a little easier on Apple's servers.

The general consensus at the time was that Apple didn't allow Siri on the iPhone 4 because it wouldn't be "good enough" to Apple's standards. Apple didn't want to have their new flagship feature judged on how it ran on non-optimized hardware.

tdtran1025

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2011
10.8.3 first please! We need kexts for newer AMD and NVidia cards. ML is solid now. Do not rush.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
SIRI for Mac wishlist:
1) Able to navigate the directory
2) Able to open/close files
3) Able to be used to control some Apple Apps (e.g. Logic)
4) Able to color code files in a folder
5) Open/Close Apps
6) Debug assistance
7) Interactive SW updates
8) Able to initiate hot keys/macros
9) and generally replace having to point with a mouse for doing basic computer tasks

I see the difference between iOS Siri and Mac Siri as:

1) iOS: more about answering questions and environment data, basic iDevice Control, and things like maps, tickets, directions, hours of operation, price for whatever, etc. Also for using iDevice as a "remote" for Apple TV controls.

2) OS X: I see SIRI for control of the Mac per the above wish list.

Of course the worst scenario is Siri on Mac is geared towards helping integrate with "social media"....

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
Incorrect. As has been proven before, the iPhone 4S and further do have special language processing in the hardware. This is so that it doesn't take as long to transmit the data and its a little easier on Apple's servers.

The general consensus at the time was that Apple didn't allow Siri on the iPhone 4 because it wouldn't be "good enough" to Apple's standards. Apple didn't want to have their new flagship feature judged on how it ran on non-optimized hardware.

I agree with almost all of this. After running a hacked Siri on a Jailbroken iPhone 4 before, I found it just did not work nearly as well as it did on the iPhone 4s. I tested this at the exact same time on both devices and I found the 4s seemed the preform everything better.

Though since it was hacked it is a possibility that it may have been the server it was using. Though it didn't to process my speech as well as the 4s did.

I will admit everyone is entirely too quick to just say Apple is just trying to force people to upgrade to get more money by saying feature will only work on a certain device. I know they have done it a couple times but I wouldn't just automatically jump to those conclusions every time. I don't even think Apple would be dumb enough to say "needs 2013 Mac hardware to process the speech correctly" considering their are alternate software out there that work pretty well. Not to mention it'd more than likely be easier to hack on a Mac than an iOS device. Unless they went above and beyond. Though chances of that happening are slim since they haven't gone above and beyond in other features before in terms of security.

rMBP13

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2013
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

MacRumors has been seeing builds of OS X 10.9 in site logs since November, which is also when hints of Siri integration for Macs began appearing.

A recent Apple job posting (via TechCrunch / AppleInsider) reinforces the rumor that Siri might be bundled with the next version of OS X. In its listing for a Siri UI Engineer, Apple specifies that candidates should possess "Familiarity with Unix, especially Mac OS X" and a "Passion for the Macintosh platform and writing simple, elegant software that is easy and fun to use."

The listing, which does not include a specification for experience with iOS aside from knowledge of Apple's development APIs, states that the engineer will be in charge of implementing the content that appears within Siri's conversational view. The position will also require collaboration with other Siri teams.
As of mid-January, OS X 10.9 activity has increased considerably on MacRumors, suggesting the new operating system, with Siri included, may be imminent.

Job postings for Apple's iLife/iWork team also surfaced this week. iWork's last major update was in 2009, while iLife was last updated in 2010. An overhaul of the apps could potentially include Siri integration, allowing for voice commands for simple tasks such as photo and music editing.

Hits from systems running OS X 10.9 on MacRumors.com
Apple has been upgrading OS X on a yearly basis. 10.8 Mountain Lion was released in July of 2012, a year after 10.7 Lion was released in July of 2011. The first developer preview of OS X 10.8 appeared in February, and OS X 10.9 could follow a similar timeline.

Article Link: Apple Job Posting Hints at Siri for Macs in OS X 10.9

Superb!

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
No, I'm pretty sure this is going to be the required method of text entry from now on.

Agreed. They're probably going to do away with the keyboard and screen altogether; there will be a simple button for activating Siri.

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
It is good that Apple wants to bring popular features like Siri and possibly Maps from iOS. However i could not agree anymore with the posts here that these features are still undeveloped and need more time to refine.

Also with the end of 10 does this mean Apple will let the cats out and release some new experience and a new desktop design in 11 like windows did in 8.

Matrixfan

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2008
Substantial features please!

Ok, let there be Siri on Macs, I don't mind. But I really hope that these features aren't the only innovations in a new OS. The last real innovative Mac OS was Tiger, and some under the hood important features like Grand Central Dispatch in Leopard. Since then, we have been getting some incremental steps, and even some of those weren't made in the right direction. The absence of Bertrand Serlet is not very assuring in regards of really importent "under the hood" stuff.

inlinevolvo

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
I must be the only one. I rarely use Siri on my phone and see literally no use for it on my macbook. I dont even use the dictation feature on 10.8, again, not that useful.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I agree with almost all of this. After running a hacked Siri on a Jailbroken iPhone 4 before, I found it just did not work nearly as well as it did on the iPhone 4s. I tested this at the exact same time on both devices and I found the 4s seemed the preform everything better.

Though since it was hacked it is a possibility that it may have been the server it was using. Though it didn't to process my speech as well as the 4s did.

The very first thing that Siri needs is hardware that can remove as much background noise as possible from your voice. What helps a lot is having two microphones - since your voice is very close to the microphones, the microphones will get different input from your voice, but the background noise is from far away, so it will appear almost identical on both microphones. If the iPhone 4 has only one microphone, then it is severely handicapped for use with Siri.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I'm amazed at the people getting negative or skeptical about SIRI.

OK, it isn't everything you want it to be. What is? This software is a work in progress that will probably need the rest of the decade to hone properly. It is an inevitable and necessary step in computing which Apple has latched onto--because Apple lives in the future, to develop the personal computer and not just live off of short-term market trends.

SIRI for Mac/OSX will be excellent. Talking to computers will allow pre-keyboard work to be done. You can prep the computer by voice before you ever turn to it. You can also finish tasks or multi-task via voice; as you type a letter, you can open web pages with reference or ask for data compilation, etc.

SIRI can become something extraordinary. Imagine if all the negativity about the iPad shaped the current market: netbooks, still.

labars

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2011
I must be the only one. I rarely use Siri on my phone and see literally no use for it on my macbook. I dont even use the dictation feature on 10.8, again, not that useful.

You're certainly not the only one. I disabled that bitch long time ago.

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
It concerns me that Siri will be the 'killer feature' of 10.9.

A killer feature that won't work properly, will take longer to use than just the keyboard and trackpad and will again show that Apple are out of ideas.

Last edited:

The Bulge

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Up your ass.
I'm amazed at the people getting negative or skeptical about SIRI.

OK, it isn't everything you want it to be. What is? This software is a work in progress that will probably need the rest of the decade to hone properly. It is an inevitable and necessary step in computing which Apple has latched onto--because Apple lives in the future, to develop the personal computer and not just live off of short-term market trends.

SIRI for Mac/OSX will be excellent. Talking to computers will allow pre-keyboard work to be done. You can prep the computer by voice before you ever turn to it. You can also finish tasks or multi-task via voice; as you type a letter, you can open web pages with reference or ask for data compilation, etc.

SIRI can become something extraordinary. Imagine if all the negativity about the iPad shaped the current market: netbooks, still.

I'm not questioning the feature itself. I'm saying before one starts implementing features like this, he should first clean and optimize the background/core OS.

I'm happy Lion/Mountain Lion introduced many new features and usability improvements (at least for me), but core OS performance has degraded. It is masked in part by high performance hardware, but on older hardware it is very visible.

You don't start building your house from the roof.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.